which flashlight?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Backpacking with 4-5 hour runtime?

LED Headlamp (PT Aurora or Petzl Tikka+) and a handheld for a little extra oomph when needed. Have not tried the SL lights most are mentioning here, but the line seems to be a good value for the price point.

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
I just tried out my Twin Task 2L (which I just received from Amazon, today) for the first time. I was favorably impressed with how bright the 3 LED mode is inside my darkened house. It was brighter than I thought it would be, but this may be due to my lack of experience with LEDs (only my 2nd LED, after a Key-Mate).

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two suggestions.

Twin-Task 2L it is small, has both long lasting led's and higher power incandescent, but im not sure it travels well as you would need to take a second set of batteries with you and theft of such a nice looking flashlight is a very good possiblity during bag searches.

My second suggestion is the Underwater Kinetics UK-eLED, this is a water resistant 4-AA battery light that will run for probibly your whole trip and then some on a single set of batteries. This is a sturdy plastic light and much less subject to sticky fingers like the shiny metal TT-2L.

Personally if you were staying within the USA, I'd say go for the TT-2L, but outside the country go for the UK eLED.

GregR

P.S. Personally I was very disappointed in the TT-3C, but love the TT-2L. 3C is just far too big for the measly liitle more light and the 2L is perfect.
While i don't have the Twin-Task 2D I hear it is a real dog.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Hiking at night I think I probably need to see about 10 feet of the ground in front of me to avoid stepping and triping over any holes or rocks. I would probably attach a LED with a good flood to my backpack strap (Inova X5 sounds good) and hold in my hand another incandescent with a good throw to check out far areas if needed.

03lab

Enlightened
I agree with Stanley, if you are trekking on Mt Kinabalu at 2 am, a LED headlamp would be the best choice IMHO.

mutated_corpse

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of the Streamlight TaskLight 3AA Luxeon or the Streamlight JR. Luxeon. The main difference is the number of AA batteries used, but i am not very bothered by that. I just want to know the brightness difference and the runtime as far as i know, the TT one can run for about 20 hr and the Jr. only 1.5 hr. Suggestions?

nexro

Enlightened
If I am not mistaken, the TT is a direct drive light which means you get gradually decreasing output over the life of the batteries. As for the Jr. Luxeon, you get regulated and almost constant light output for at least 1.5 hours.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mutated_corpse said:
I was thinking of the Streamlight TaskLight 3AA Luxeon or the Streamlight JR. Luxeon. The main difference is the number of AA batteries used, but i am not very bothered by that. I just want to know the brightness difference and the runtime as far as i know, the TT one can run for about 20 hr and the Jr. only 1.5 hr. Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I have the Streamlight Luxeon 3AA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif, the Luxeon is
a direct drive, however I find very little decrease
in the light output after serveral hours of use.
Streamlight says that it has a run time for about 28
hrs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I haven't run it that long, maybe I'll try a
nonstop run sometime and see how well it does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
It is a little longer than the than the Jr. Luxeon, but
throws a great beam. I like it, it's got some mass to it.

Tom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

SJACKAL

Enlightened
While lights like Twintasks, Aviators, or lights with varying adjustable degrees of brightness are very good as an all rounder, its better to carry a seperate one for each purpose when going hikes. One low beam long lasting one for walks, one high beam powerful ones to check things out. Because if you lost one, you still have another. Most regulated high power Luxeons still offers a moonmode even when the batteries are squeezed. Can't go wrong with a Gerber/CMG Infinity, can be worn on the neck lanyard. Add a strong luxeon light or incandescent to complete. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the SL Propoly 4AA 7Led runtime is a little hyped up by the manufacturer. Take a look at this runtime plot that Roy did, it managed only 3 hrs 47 mins to 50% output. In fact, check out this page to see all the runtimes for different lights done by Roy so far (thanks Roy!), it might help you get a better idea deciding on a light...

AK

Newly Enlightened
I second beakman's suggestion that you consider the UKE 4AA. It is more than bright enough for trail walking, with enough throw to see things off of the trial. And you can't beat the 11 hours of regulated runtime on 4AA. I bought one a few weeks ago. While I was initially underwhelmed by the brightness, the light has really grown on me since.

gadgetgeekman

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Luxeon 3aa is one of the best lights I ever bought. Very bright, good throw, well made, long battery life, inexpensive to run and they are priced pretty cheap! Lou

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd vote for the SL Tasklight 3AA. Even though its longer in size than the SL Jr, but you get better runtime and plus, it uses 3xAA batts, compared to 2xCR123 on the Jr..

beakman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
I'd vote for the SL Tasklight 3AA. Even though its longer in size than the SL Jr, but you get better runtime and plus, it uses 3xAA batts, compared to 2xCR123 on the Jr..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon uses 2 AA batteries. I have the Streamlight 3AA Tasklight and really like it, but will probably also get the Jr. because it is shorter and brighter.

the beakman

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, my bad... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

I'd still vote for the SL TL 3AA anyway, cos of the longer runtime...