Which High End Folder???

Bob_Ulhedd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
moeman said:This is my next EDC:http://www.equipped.com/rsk_mk1.htmi want the full size version.i loved my Griptilian and this looks even better...

[/ QUOTE ]I think that this knife is an excellent value. Many knife enthusiasts do not like the Glass-filled Noryl GTX handle. They dislike the appearance and "feel" of this material for a knife of this price. I think that the handle material is rugged and functional.

cdf

Enlightened
I own both large and small Sebs . I EDC a PT , it is grippier and tuffer . The sebbie is "cleaner" in appearance but not nearly as ruff and ready . If you want a nice small dressy office /city knife go with the CR Mnandi . I would prefer the Mnandi to the William Henry line , on grounds of tuffness and performance .

rscanady

Enlightened
Moeman,
I just got the full size RSK Grip and IT ROCKS! I love this thing dearly, it is a definite workhorse. I recommend it to anyone especially for around $100.

Aside from that I EDC a small sebbie, RSK Griptilian, and a Microtech LCC D/A and love all 3. S30V is one of my favorite steels to date very good compromise between edge, sharpening, and corrosion resistance all in stone wash finish.

BTW the RSK Grip has awesome blade geometry, S30V steel, axis lock what more could you ask for in a sub $150 knife. Very good value in my opinion.

FYI: I own a few different knives so have quite a bit to compare to.

BM 690 BC1
BM 940 Green
BM 940 CF with D2 limited
BM mini AFCK M2
BM Griptilian Full size RSK
BM/Emerson CQC 7
BM 960 Black Pearl limited
BM activator
BM Rescue Hook
MT makora
MT LCC D/A
MOD Keating Hornet AUto
TOPS tracker
Tops Wolf PUP
Gerber yari
Kershaw Chive Rainbow (Wife)
Chris Reeve Small Sebenza
Shrade old time
Spyderco cricket
Spyderco D'alton Toad
Custom Damascus and Mammoth ivory folder by George Mueller. (South Africa)

COuple others that I cant remember.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Thanks fella's for all the excellent suggestions so far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif. The intention of this post was to try and make my decision easier based on others experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, but now its harder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif. I suppose its back to the CPF mantra Buy all of em!!. The combat elite rrf looks like a superb knife, with top notch materials for the price! excellent suggestion TOB9595 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>My pick would be a Mini-Lochsa (if Scott would make one.)

I've been tring to get him to do this for around 3 years now.

George1

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest any of the Strider folders. They are built rock-solid and have great support. I would also suggest that you go to a knife store or show where you are able to see and hold them to help you decide.

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the BM 707. It's like the famous 705 but thinner with a nicer blade shape imho. More rugged than the RSK, but about the same size, with Axis lock. (I have both). Either of these I prefer to the small Sebenza for the simple reason that it's almost impossible to close the Seb with one hand. (Got one of those sitting on the shelf too.) One of my edc requirements is that I be able to pull the knife out of my pocket, open it, use it, close it, and clip it back to the pocket all with one hand. So far, the Axis lock design is the best I've found for doing this.

Deanster

Enlightened
I EDC a small Sebenza, and it's outstanding (and quite easy to close one-handed, thank you), but it's clearly on the pricey side for something liable to loss.

I'll +1 on the RSK and mini-RSK - great knives, great price for an S30v blade. They are high quality, but aren't in the same category as the Sebenza for look and feel.

I find I carry my Sebenza, but recommend to others the mini-RSK, unless I know they're in the market for a 'lifetime' knife.

I've had my BG-42 Small plain Sebenza since February 1998. $325/2500 days is $.13 a day so far.

We'll see how my mini-RSK is doing in another five years...

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Like Deanster, I EDC a small decorated Sebbie and it's terrific. I've been trying out a PT to see how it feels, and while it is overbuilt and tougher, the odd size and thickness weigh against it. But I'm an office rat, so for your uses, the Strider might be better.

However, I love Axis locks, so those Benchmades are a cost-effective alternative. A side note: I see you asked for a linerlock, and just about none of these knives are so. Do you have any particular attachment to linerlocks?

daloosh

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, has the Swamp Rat folder come out yet? That would be the toughest knife I know of, I've got my SR knives and they are tougher than I'd ever need. .

SolarFlare

Enlightened
No Im not too concerned wether its linerlock, framelock, axis lock I don't mind as long as long as its easy to disengage one handed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I just thought the linerlock/framelock style might be a bit more robust, I know the axis locks have a small spring in, although I haven't come across anyone thats had to replace it, yet?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

rscanady

Enlightened
Go for the sebbie, and if you dont like it sell it and get the other one. Sebbies have no problem selling!

Ryan

cdf

Enlightened
Sounds like it narrows to the Sebbie and the PT . They will serve you well , I know , I own both . You wont have a problem selling either . The Sebbie is very clean and slick, the Strider is a little brute . Personally I EDC the Strider .

The axis lock is very reliable , Omega spring failures are rare , the lock still works on one spring . There are quite a number of ten year old 710's with nary a hickup . D. Ritter chose it for a good reason .

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
I've had a 710 since they first came on the market. One of my springs broke for the first time about 6 months ago. I've carried and used that folder almost every day. The lock still worked too. Just as advertised.
With that kind of record, you can understand why I now have two 710s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I don't really want to buy a knife and then sell it! I'm in the UK and a $300 knife would cost me close on $600 here,so I need to buy it from an American site, probably pay high shipping costs and then pay tax on top. So buy/test/sell is not really an option. I have a BM 943 and a BM AFCK so I know the quality of BM liners and axis locks. I was after somethin a bit more up market which is why I said "high end folder". All the suggestions so far have been excellent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif but I think the sebbie is out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif shocking I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but I think its between the strider PT and the combat elite rrf (thanks to tob9595)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bob_Ulhedd said:
[ QUOTE ]
moeman said:This is my next EDC:http://www.equipped.com/rsk_mk1.htmi want the full size version.i loved my Griptilian and this looks even better...

[/ QUOTE ]I think that this knife is an excellent value. Many knife enthusiasts do not like the Glass-filled Noryl GTX handle. They dislike the appearance and "feel" of this material for a knife of this price. I think that the handle material is rugged and functional.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the one I EDC. I love it, and, like rscanady said, it's a real workhorse. One of the things I like most about it is that, with the axis lock, it closes one handed as quickly and easily as it opens.

When I got something in my left hand that needs cutting, I can just flip it open, cut, flip it closed, and back into the pocket. That axis lock is sweet. After using it for a while, I can't imagine carrying a knife with any other kind of lock.

rscanady

Enlightened
Very easy one handed operation, I am loving this knife more and more each day and the only regret I have is that I took so long to debate and purchase it, I should have done it 6 months ago when I first saw it.

Ryan

lolittle

Newly Enlightened
Strider PT would be my choice for a lot of reasons, one of the biggest being the warranty...

img05637ab.jpg

img05627gg.jpg

img05598xc.jpg