Which MT-G2 Light and Why

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac SX25L3 or Malkoff Wildcat V5. I want massive flood in a relatively small package. I know Malkoff's are highly regarded on this forum. I have two of his maglite drop ins......very well built. The Eagletac has more output (2375 vs 1600) and runtime and costs $100 less. I know the Malkoff lights are underrated. Would you really see almost 800 more lumens out of the eagletac? Selfbuilt says you must keep the threads on
the eagletac lights clean to maintain proper mode switching. Anyone have any issues with these lights that switch modes by head position?

Thanks!

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
I have used my SX25L3 for almost a year and the head position switch is still working perfectly. Have not cleaned the threads at all.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wagering that there will be a flood of MT-G2 lights to come over the next few months, I would hold off..

Yeah, I was going to say the same. I haven't even payed attention to the few MT-G2 lights there are, but over just the past week I've heard of multiple MT-G2 lights that are most likely being planned or are going to be released shortly. I don't know if it will have as high an efficacy as the current xm-l2 has, but being so huge it seems like it has the potential for ridiculously high output. I think there will be tons of lights using it in the coming months and years ahead.

For a single MT-G2 light I'll probably wait until the Fenix TK35ue comes out. Just learned the TK35 actually tailstands pretty well today! Didn't know that so that's a plus too if the MT-G2 version is pretty much the same on the outside.

mcorp

Enlightened
+1 tk35 ue. Am waiting out for it to come out as well and it'll be one of my first MT-G2 lights :)

makapuu

Enlightened
Used my SX25L3 almost everyday for over a year, no problems. If you want something with a little more kick in the throw department. The EagleTac MX25L3 is very nice. But you do need to cope with the larger size.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac SX25L3 or Malkoff Wildcat V5. I want massive flood in a relatively small package. I know Malkoff's are highly regarded on this forum. I have two of his maglite drop ins......very well built. The Eagletac has more output (2375 vs 1600) and runtime and costs $100 less. I know the Malkoff lights are underrated. Would you really see almost 800 more lumens out of the eagletac? Selfbuilt says you must keep the threads on
the eagletac lights clean to maintain proper mode switching. Anyone have any issues with these lights that switch modes by head position?

Thanks!

Malkoff uses 2x18650 while Eagletac uses 3x18650. Malkoff is much more floody than Eagletac. Eagletac has mid modes and not only low and high like Malkoff. So there are a few aspects to take in consider.

By the way: :welcome:

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Star Halo and others who directly or indirectly are suggesting that there will probably be quite a few MT-G2 lights coming out in the next few months for the spring/summer/fall season and to wait a bit.

You maybe also want to think a bit more about the flood/throw tradeoffs vs what your planned usages are. I have 3 different MT-G2 lights with progressively increasing head sizes and the flood/throw is very consistent with the head size. smaller head = more flood. larger head = more throw.

However the head size is a strong factor as to whether you will casually carry the light with you in maybe a jacket pocket just in case, or you intentionally carry the light for an intended purpose. The CPF adage is - buy them both. but which ones? As the number of MT-G2 choices increases, that will be the real dilemma.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
forgot to add my experience on the pin-switching durability in the Eagletac heads: I lost a GX due to spring failure. So far no failures in an SX or MX light.

BTW, I was not happy with the base on/off switch in the kit form of the SX/MX lights. It is too small and far too difficult to push with my bare thumb. I gave up and use the standard non-switch-style base cap. hence the only feature of the kit form that might be useful are the filters.

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. This forum rocks! I think I will take the "wait and see" approach since new lights are just around the corner. A TK35 MT-G2 is appealing. I just wonder how long it will be able to sustain turbo mode. The XM-L version steps down after 20-30 minutes. Hopefully the MT-G2 version will be able to match that.

MBentz

Enlightened
Thanks for the response. This forum rocks! I think I will take the "wait and see" approach since new lights are just around the corner. A TK35 MT-G2 is appealing. I just wonder how long it will be able to sustain turbo mode. The XM-L version steps down after 20-30 minutes. Hopefully the MT-G2 version will be able to match that.

Be careful playing the waiting game. There will always be something better around the corner. :)