• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Which Peak for messing around?

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm on my every few years buying spree. I'd really like to get a Peak light. I've owned a few of their AAA lights from about 5 years ago. Their brass options are so pretty I've got to get one. The question is which one.

I don't have any specific need for a light. I carry a Draco on my keychain and have the Malkoff M61 on the other side of the spectrum. This would be more to amuse myself and light up my back yard...admire the workmanship...bring to a party to impress the buzzed...etc.

I'm thinking either the Logan or El Capitan. I would probably put one of those Tec pocket clips on it. I'd like it to be somewhat pocket friendly...not overly noticeable in the pocket. Smaller is probably better. The other models like the Pyrenees seem a little too bulky.

I don't care that much about run times. I'm looking for output and will do rechargeables if required. I like good throw and good spill. The Malkoff M61 / M31 beam is about perfect for me. But, I also like the Draco beam...whatever it is it should be noticeably more powerful than the Draco. I'd like at least 150 feet of throw. More is good but usable spill is nice too.

That variable output switch sounds great. Does it come in Brass? Can you get it in both the El Capitan and Logan models?

Does the AW Protected 14500 fit in the El Capitan?
Do you get a big drop in output with the 14250 in the El Capitan?

I know some of you guys have tried them all. So which Peak would you guys suggest?

How about that Volcan that is coming out. Is it going to have crazy output? If so, then maybe....

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Which Peak for farting around?

If you really want to impress the buzzed, the 7 LED McKinley is available in the RGB option - this means all seven LEDs randomly and asynchronously cycle through a rainbow of colors, and presto, you're instantly in a Doors/Pink Floyd video. Fun stuff.

Peak1.jpg

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened

A sensory stimulation light. Cool. My kids would like it too.

If you want to blow them away (and EDC ability is not a factor), then get a Stainless Steel Night Patrol! It's a beast of a light with an awesome level of brightness! Guaranteed to be the toughest light you've ever owned!

If you need a pocket light, I still prefer the Caribbean! :D

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened

my EDC is Logan #7 with AW IMR RCR123- it throws like a beast AND plenty of spill- so you could get the #8 for even more spectacular brightness.
If you are flush with cash- get that new SR model that runs off the 2 x LiPo M cells....wicked bright...

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you like throw you need the bigger optic found in the Logan (or the upcoming Volcan). Power level 8, narrow optic in the metal of your choice.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
The el Capitan works off of a 14500 cell and its very bright with one. Using a single 1.5v AA is rather dim compared to it and dimmer than some other chinese lights off of a single AA cell.

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I spoke with Bob and Curt today and I'm going to hold out for the Volcan. It will take a 14500 and CR2. Small when you want it small and smokin when you want it smokin.

I appreciate the input.

Dave

pmek5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I spoke with Bob and Curt today and I'm going to hold out for the Volcan. It will take a 14500 and CR2. Small when you want it small and smokin when you want it smokin.

Did they give you any indication of a possible release date, and or production run?

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
There's still some parts in production so I'm not sure it it will be ready. Hopefully soon.
Thanks,
Dave

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the Volcan?

Curt posted this on September 2nd:

"Re: El Capitan CR2?

That light is called the Volcan, a replacement for the old discontinued Pacific. The head uses the Logan optic and
the Cree XPG LED and #0 through #8 power levels. It will be available in HA, Brass and Stainless Steel. Battery
compartments will include a single key ring AAA, a 2xAAA, single key ring AA, single pocket AA, single key ring CR2, and a single pocket CR2. Some parts are available now, but not everything. We have to manufacture various HA heads and battery compartments."

Latest posts