• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sapphire + Peak Eiger - it works!

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
This modification is mentioned in a thread from years back, but messages are a bit mixed, and photo links are broken. I took a gamble, and was able to make it work.

Obviously, the Eiger heads on Sapphire body are trading run time for output. I custom ordered single mode Eiger w/ 4000k Nichia 219b and added an extra Ultra head with same LED.

I am currently using a flat top Efest 10440 with a tiny blob of solder on bottom of battery (wouldn't make contact to bottom of Sapphire without that blob - YMMV). I have flat top NiMH AAA in the mail. The first batteries I used were button top. They worked fine, but left a bit of O ring exposed.

Pics:

nbp

Flashaholic
Cool! Gotta love a fun LEGO project, and from a couple of the best folks in the business, too. :)

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
Where do you get the Sapphire bodies ?
You will have to order a full kit Sapphire from Don. Peak can sell heads only, but I still bought an Eiger body tube - I wanted 2 functioning lights, and in a worst case scenario, I thought it easier to resell a complete light (but I don't think any of these parts are going anywhere).

It's not an inexpensive way to build a light, but it is a pretty cool option to drop a ~200 lumen 4000k Nichia 219b Hi CRI Sapphire in your pocket.

My flat top NiMH batteries came last night. Should still give about 70 lumens, and a with much more respectable run time than the Efest.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
As the current owner of the middle head that Joe posted above, I can attest to the fact that it works well and is plenty bright for a small package. What is now tempting is a QTC version...that would truly turn the Sapphire from a jewelry piece (which underperforms your phone flashlight) to something practical again.