white light vs. blue light?

Kirk

Enlightened
How about using fluorescent tube phosphors with a UV LED? Would this work or is the UV LED actually a blue or red or ?? LED with a UV-emissive coating/phosphor? Or are the phosphors used in a white LED brighter than the phosphors used in fluorescent tubes? I'm thinking we have many years of fluorescent tube development, why not use the same glowing stuff for LEDs?
Kirk

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fluorescent tubes are Mercury Vapor, which have two main lines - one at 265nm (Short Wave UV) and one at 360nm (Long Wave UV)

The fluorescent tube phosphors are tailored for those higher frequency (shorter wavelength) emissions

The White LEDs today use Blue and Deep Blue LEDs to excite the phosphor, but they are not in the same frequency as the Mercury Vapor

When you have a higher frequency to start with, its easier to get more Harmonics of the desired frequency.

Mike
www.inretech.com

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
my understanding is that
1 it has an unusually good vacuum
2 as it runs the carbon filament slowly evaporates raising its resistance.the higher the resistance the less current it pulls and less evaporation.the evaporation is very even or it would have died long ago.
if you look at the pics the glass is rather dark.
what will do it in is a thin/hot spot .
or a accidental whack of some kind.

Originally posted by Chris M.:
There is a lightbulb that has been burning for 100yrs

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

I assume this longevity to the low current

I know that one well! They even have a BulbCam looking over it all the time.

We have often pondered over why it`s lasted so long. No-one seems to know for sure, and no-one probably will. It`s probably just one of those things- like life- which should just be marvelled at, and not endlessly discussed over why and how. Although we have and we do!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Burn on little bulb
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
my understanding is that
1 it has an unusually good vacuum
2 as it runs the carbon filament slowly evaporates raising its resistance.the higher the resistance the less current it pulls and less evaporation.the evaporation is very even or it would have died long ago.
if you look at the pics the glass is rather dark.
what will do it in is a thin/hot spot .
or a accidental whack of some kind.

Originally posted by Chris M.:
There is a lightbulb that has been burning for 100yrs

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

I assume this longevity to the low current

I know that one well! They even have a BulbCam looking over it all the time.

We have often pondered over why it`s lasted so long. No-one seems to know for sure, and no-one probably will. It`s probably just one of those things- like life- which should just be marvelled at, and not endlessly discussed over why and how. Although we have and we do!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Burn on little bulb
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">