Who recycles their batteries and how?

kristiancyclist

Newly Enlightened
Just curious to know what others are doing for battery recycling, if anything. Not meaning to pick on people or put them on the spot. I live in a small town and our recycling program is pretty thin. There's nowhere to recycle batteries. My work place collects hazardous materials it uses for proper disposal. We're not suppose to mix our own personal materials since the company has to pay a fee based on weight or something like that.

Anyone fortunate enough to have curbside battery recycling in their community?

-- Boris

OpenGuy

Newly Enlightened
In the past, I've dropped old NiMH AA into a recycle box at either Lowes or Home Depot (it's been a while - can't remember which one any more). I was in a local Batteries Plus store recently, and saw a recycle box there. I have some more dead cells to recycle, so I should pay them another visit soon.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take mine to the office - they have collection bins for Alkaline, NiCd, and NiMh cells.

Not sure what to do with spent CR123 and Energizer L91/L92 cells yet.

Charlotte

Newly Enlightened
In London, we have kerbside recycling. Everything from truck batteries to coin cells go in the green boxes and a nice man with a pickup comes and takes them away for sorting.

Pretty much everything gets recycled now, thankfully. They take metals, card and paper, plastics and even kitchen waste (if you've not got your own composter, as we have).

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
There's nowhere that I know of where I can recycle batteries near my house, but I have not looked into it yet. No one else I know bothers to recycle their batteries. I started collecting used batteries about 6 years ago. I currently have about 6 years worth of alkalines, 3 years of lithiums and even a few old Nickel Cadmium batteries sitting in a drawer waiting to be recycled.

Nubo

Enlightened
In California, it's now illegal to throw batteries in the trash. Many workplaces collect them for recycling, and yes Radio Shack and Home Depot are good alternatives, and I suppose our local hazardous waste station would take them.

labrat

Enlightened
In Norway we have recycling bins for batteries at most gas-stations, as well as in shops where you buy batteries.
Many companies using batteries also have collecting boxes somewhere for delivering your used batteries for recycling.
Larger quantities should be delivered to designated depot/recycling stations, which can be somewhat troublesome to reach without a car.

kristiancyclist

Newly Enlightened
Great answers and info! I didn't know that Radio Shack and Home Depot all accept used batteries, but then again, I don't go into those stores very often. I would suppose that those living in larger cities have more access to recycling centers and stores with recycling bins that people like me that live in the sticks.

How are batteries recycled? Are they chopped open and the contents scooped out?

And what happens to batteries that end up in the landfill? Do they decompose into hazardous elements or do they pretty much stay whole and complete?

-- Boris

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
In West Bridgeford, UK batteries recently got included in the kerbside recycling scheme. You don't put them in the big wheelie bin. Instead you put them in a little plastic bag they give you, and attach it to the bin.

Before that I just kept my old batteries in a tray in the kitchen, with some vague plan of taking them to a cycling centre one day when I got enough of them. So I had loads for the kerbside recycling when it started.

jkdguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi kristiancyclist! Here's a link to a company that recycles all kinds of batteries:

http://www.batteryrecycling.com/

After you click on 'Residential', you will see (on the left side of the page) a section titled 'Recycling Information'.
Under this section is a page about 'recycling processes'. This will explain how each element of the battery
is recycled (very interesting).

I've never used this company, but I plan to in the future.
Hope this helps!

Last edited: