Who remembers the Tenka-Lite 2?

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Came across what is probably the second oldest working flashlight in my possession the other day, my dim but trusty old Tenka-Lite 2, I probably bought it around 1980. Incandescent bulb, 2 AA batteries, they were so dim as to be nearly useless by today's standards but a big advance over all previous flashlights because it was in an nearly indestructible shell and almost entirely waterproof, might even have made a diving light. The one I found still works, in fact the AAs in it are Kirkland alkalines dated '01-2002' so are themselves a bit of a miracle survival, I mean the things were better made then but still should have leaked badly enough to destroy the flashlight and even cracked it open.

Tenka-Lite 2s were much appreciated by backpackers and other wilderness travellers, nowadays it's hard to think of a use for one because of the low output. I see that to give it some reach, I installed what I recall was designated a 222 bulb, had a little magnifying tip in them to create a spotlight effect. But anyway, whatever I do with it I guess I'd better take the old batteries out of it....

These lights are so old they predate the internet and this is the only photo I could find of one. Mine has a completely transparent head, producing a lot of side glow, another problem.

Attachments

• tenka lite 2.jpg
    tenka lite 2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 80

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one that had some kind of a clear plastic head on the end. Been a long time. I'll see if I can find it

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is right here on the shelf, in the collection of obsolete lights I don't use anymore. The head is the traditional black plastic around the clear lens/inner shell. It was nice in its day as it was completely water and corrosion proof. But, yeah, the output is pathetic today.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup. Peak is a bit odd. It's one of those companies that has their own machine shop. They literally make their flashlights themselves. Don't sub-contract out the work. But for them, it's a side business to bring in a bit of extra profit from their main business. Which of course will get priority over making flashlights. It's been long discontinued. I once found a brass, single N-cell model. But it had the flat top instead of the hole for a keyring.

gunga

Flashaholic
I had one. It was interesting if awkward, dim, the head got a bit sticky after a while (better lube would help) but mine is long gone. I do have a minimag from 1988 though...

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish there were alternatives to alkaline N cells. My HP 41CX calculator uses them, and I hate putting alkaline cells into anything nowadays.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I had one. It was interesting if awkward, dim, the head got a bit sticky after a while (better lube would help) but mine is long gone. I do have a minimag from 1988 though...
So do I. Not quite the same though. 😉

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think I read somewhere those were backup lights for cops before SureFire days. Their "splashlite for example. Tekna had a 6 volt number too.

The original used a proprietory cell that was basically 2 N cells, hence nowadays using 2 N cells instead of the Tekna (now Tek-Tite) battery.