Why are we paying so much for SureFire flashlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
I don't think any fireman would use a surefire light, because at least in Germany these lights need a certificate, that states that it will not cause an explosion. These certificates are pretty expensive, so the choice of flashlights for firemen is reduced to a few manufacturers, that offer antiquated technology in crappy bodies. But those are the only ones with the right sticker.

edit: reading the post above me, it seems that there are regions where flashlights do not need explosion protection to be allowed for use by firefighters.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This morning I was disassembling my flashlights, cleaning contacts and o-rings and wondered why Surefire's are so expensive. My E2D Defender is a good thrower and its lite. But it can't take rechargeable batteries (correct me if I'm wrong) , the small clip doesn't do its job, it doesn't hold well and forces you to have the heavy end of the flashlight up. I rather have quick access to the switch and yes, it has fallen out of my pocket - no good at all.

Yes, Surefires cost a lot. But I find them worth the price. The feeling of holding them and the very useful beam make them to belong to my absolute favorite lights. In my opinion the Surefire TIR optics is superior for outdoors use.
I agree with the pocket clip of Defender, it could be the same length as E2L AA. I think the clips are available as spare parts and I will try to get a long clip for my Defender. Another issue is the crenelated bezel. I like to carry flashlights without holster in the jacket pockets but the sharp bezel will soon damage the pocket. Therefore I am planning to get away the crenelation.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus, I don't think any fireman would use a surefire light, because at least in Germany these lights need a certificate, that states that it will not cause an explosion. These certificates are pretty expensive, so the choice of flashlights for firemen is reduced to a few manufacturers, that offer antiquated technology in crappy bodies. But those are the only ones with the right sticker.

Cert required to prove flashlights which wont cause explosion.
May i say, foolish?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happens when their Surefire fails, and they were counting on the Surefire quality to save them? While someone else bought 2 or 3 of another brand that was cheaper, and they have a back up.
You can say that easily but, for people whose lives and those of others depend on such products, they don't have the luxury of going to a store or mail-ordering them in middle of their tasks.

Do you really think that a cop will have the time to walk into a shop in middle of a pursuit, when the suspect may be armed and present danger to anyone nearby?

Do you really think that a medic will be able to leave the patient to find another light, when the patient is laying there bleeding and unconscious?

Do you really think that a firefighter can simply exit out of a burning building when his light dies, when there are people trapped inside who need to be rescued?

Do you really think that a soldier has the time to find a replacement light in middle of a firefight, when the lives of not only him but his comrades as well are at stake?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
rolex/timex... I don't own a rolex but own plenty of Surefires :party:
I will not buy a Surefire but I do have a Rolex Submariner (and a Lady Datejust for the significant other). I am happy to pay 20x (or more) for a Rolex but do not delude myself into thinking that Rolexes are more accurate or more durable - or because they have a bomb proof warranty.

romteb

Enlightened
Or "why are we paying so little for other lights?".
Go ahead and try to set up a shop that makes flashlights and pay your workers a decent wage, then let us know how it went.
You didn't pay for that $30 flashlight, the underpaid workforce did

All the lights are cnc made, production methods are very efficient, if you factor in the labour cost for each flashlight (including handling, shipping etc..) i strongly doubt it ammounts to more than 2 or 3 dollars.

Advertising though is probably very expensive and it seems there is little advertising by other flashlight companies.

iapyx

Enlightened
Your paying for 2 things,
1) The name. The brand has built up a good reputation meaning they can charge high and get away with it.
2) Patriotism. People will pay more if a product is made in their own country, in this case, America. Regardless of the quality their the product or that of other countries, theirs is best.

What i don't like about many of the opinions of the occupants of this forum is the often repeated suggestion that anything made in any other part of the world is junk. "When it break's, good luck getting your them to do anything about it" etc etc, pure ignorance.

I Partly agree. I'm not so fond of the patriotism. "because it's made here or there" is not a valid reason, I find.
SF built up a reputation for a reason. I mean they have that reputation for a reason.

But, well, I think it's personal. I happen to like them, too, but also find them expensive. And yes they are very well built, but other brands are very well built too.

Edit. Developement or better research has it's price. Swedpat mentioned the TIR. That must have cost a lot of research. They didn't develope it in one day.

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reply to OP:
I believe you meant E2DL LED defender
Do you really think gold-plating does increase conductivity, i dont think theres any difference
You can imagine how many "gold" theyve used, thinner layer than the HA coating, i wont give any hope on the gold plating
Any anodizing will worn off as you use it, as said by ebow
"
Even though surefire type III is extremely tough, it's not invincible. It will eventually wear, it just takes longer. The sharpest edges are the first thing to wear in my experience."
What do you want for square thread anyway, ive always believe that(both plating and thread) its the promotion skill used by jetpimp

The word of surefire: Simplicity

Last edited:

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
Cert required to prove flashlights which wont cause explosion.
May i say, foolish?

You may not. At least in Germany, this is definitely true. Every flashlight used by fire departments must have a certificate, that it does not create sparks or heat that might trigger an explosion in an explosive atmosphere. I have worked as an EMT and many of my colleagues were working as firemen, too. They always complained about the crappy flashlights they have to use due to the strict guidelines.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have cheap lights as well... I have about 10 Solarforces and maybe 4 Ultrafires. But I have a little more confidence in my Surefire C2.

Granted, the Solarforces have never failed me, including two that have seen a LOT of use, but if I could only take one light, and I was going to be gone for a month with no access for the purchase of other lights, would I really take a Solarforce with a clicky over a Surefire with a tactical switch?

I don't think so, and I'm about as far from a Surefire fanboy as possible.

romteb

Enlightened
SF built up a reputation for a reason. I mean they have that reputation for a reason.

Could we eventually entertain the idea that this reputation is the result of marketing strategies, i yet have to hear anyone quoting statistically relevant numbers about the rate of failure of any flashlight company, surefire included.

I'm clearly not saying that surefire is not more reliable than other flashlight companies, i'm saying i don't know cause i don't have any reliable, scientifical, relevant mean to establish this fact, and i'm not sure any of those who state that surefire is more reliable have.

I also don't think they are overpriced, if it sells well, it's not overpriced.

black_ice_pc

Newly Enlightened
You can say that easily but, for people whose lives and those of others depend on such products, they don't have the luxury of going to a store or mail-ordering them in middle of their tasks.

Do you really think that a cop will have the time to walk into a shop in middle of a pursuit, when the suspect may be armed and present danger to anyone nearby?

Do you really think that a medic will be able to leave the patient to find another light, when the patient is laying there bleeding and unconscious?

Do you really think that a firefighter can simply exit out of a burning building when his light dies, when there are people trapped inside who need to be rescued?

Do you really think that a soldier has the time to find a replacement light in middle of a firefight, when the lives of not only him but his comrades as well are at stake?

And we as a community are none of these people, although there definitely are some of them amongst us (thank you for your service!). For people like this, I can easily see why it would be worth the price for additional assurance that the tool you need will work how you intend it to when the time comes for its use. If I was a soldier, you know I'd be buying a SF. BUT I'd also have other lights handy. The CPF community consists mostly of hobby enthusiasts. I held my first surefire the other day, and while I was impressed at the quality of it in my hand, I held other brands' lights that felt just as nice, and cost 1/3rd of the price for way more output, modes, and control.

I say this not because I have anything at all against surefire. Anyone who wants to buy one, feel free. I absolutely wouldn't mind having one myself. I just don't feel at this time that the light justifies its price for me, given the features and output it provides. If things start to screw up, then I might, but none of the reputable brand lights I've bought have had any issues at all so far.

I don't use any of them mounted on weapons (but i do use them wet often). I do mount a few on my bike and ride aggressive MTB. no problems so far after dozens of hours riding.

For me personally I do not see a reason to buy SF, but I have nothing at all against those who do buy them. Maybe they can convert me by buying one for me :twothumbs

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone says this until their "fill in the blank" light dies. And it will.

Couldn't have said it better myself... I've bought all sorts of lights that cost just as much or more than a Surefire and had them go out on me completely or start acting funny within months or even days of light usage. I don't want to name names, but they're lights made by very highly regarded companies here on CPF. I've yet to encounter this with even one of the 35+ personal Surefires that I own. So in my book, that makes them worth the money.

Shao

Edit: OK, so I forgot the G2X Pro with the funky mode switching... but I don't consider that a real Surefire anyway.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their twisty is solid-built,
if you look inside it, no mecha parts like clicky,
simply a disc and a spring, a rubber ring, little steel rod and a boot,nothing more
Almost unfailureable, unlike clickies,
I wont praise surefire "blindly"
but they do give me a reason to trust them, and their lights

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my Surefire U2 tailcap fail, 6P lens crack, E2e tailcap fail. I have a DX $15.00 light never fail. It does come down to personal preference and experience with each brand.
Couldn't have said it better myself... I've bought all sorts of lights that cost just as much or more than a Surefire and had them go out on me completely or start acting funny within months or even days of light usage. I don't want to name names, but they're lights made by very highly regarded companies here on CPF. I've yet to encounter this with even one of the 35+ personal Surefires that I own. So in my book, that makes them worth the money.

Shao

Edit: OK, so I forgot the G2X Pro with the funky mode switching... but I don't consider that a real Surefire anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.