• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

"Why did we Stray?"

scout24

Flashaholic
I was asked that question by a good friend and member here last night in reference to the Haiku with the 119v. (3v in particular.) That, and PSM's ode to the AA Haiku 119v recently got me to thinking. After a lot of thought, I have an answer. At heart, the Haiku is a tool. Tools are made to do jobs, not entertain. They are (Gasp!) boring. This one happens to be a beautifully executed ergonomic masterpiece, but it's boring. Three modes. None stand out in terms of output among peers. No blinky stuff. Nothing to program. No ramping. Just the sweetest general use beam known to man. With adequate output for almost any EDC task. Not too focused, not too floody. Best switch in the business. Best clip in the business. I've tried pretty much every other design of both available, and keep coming back to these two. It's a practical light. Good balance of runtime vs. brightness. No finish to worry about. No worries about waterproofing. Maker with a fantastic business model. I had, and carried, an XP-G Haiku for several years. I was lured away by other brighter lights, lights with more modes, lights with more bells and whistles for daily carry. I'm back... :grin2: The 119v Haiku is that good in whatever flavor you choose. Thanks, Don... :bow: :rock:

nbp

Flashaholic
This reminds me of some things I included in my Essay about the Haiku.

Posted by Me:

In summation, this light just does what it needs to do. It very simply and easily provides high quality illumination when called upon. It is user friendly, very durable and reliable, great looking and very satisfying to use. The titanium construction means that very little care needs to be administered to keep it looking great. (Or if you're like me, you like the surface wear on a well used Ti light). People will notice when you use it, and appreciate its craftsmanship, but you needn't put it on a shelf only to stare at it. It is of course, made to be used. Every single detail of Don's lights have been analyzed and meticulously executed to achieve a maximum of aesthetics, ergonomics and functionality without sacrificing in any other area. He understands how to make a flashlight that excels in every area. They are the ideal balance of everything you want in an EDC light. Don incorporates a high level of design into his lights, not so that they can be stared at, but so that they can be effectively used. He puts the work into making them functional, because that's how he thinks. I hope he doesn't mind me posting a few of his recent comments that caught my attention. I appreciate that he creates lights he would want to use, with the "collectivity" factor not really even being considered. His artistic ability is sort of baffling when coupled with his overall practicality and logic/reason based approach to flashlights as tools first and foremost.

And I think that what we appreciate about these lights is really just a reflection of Don's design philosophy.

Some of my favorite Don Quotes, also included in my Essay:

I don't consider there to be any big deal about the lights I offer. They are what they are and hopefully anyone who buys one has a good idea of what they are before they purchase one.

I guess the deal is that I offer some lights that some of you are willing to purchase and as long as that is the case I guess we will continue to do business and hopefully with satisfaction on both sides of the "counter".

I have no idea what flashlight John Wayne would carry if he were alive today or Barney Frank for that matter. I would guess it would be a function of their applications, needs and comprehension of what is available and subjective perception of the value of illumination tools.

ASheep

Enlightened
You know, posts like this really don't help those of us who are McGizmo-challenged, and don't as yet have a Haiku... If I read any more posts like this, PSM's Haiku AA thread and nbp's Haiku essay, my wallet will bleed! :laughing:

Before the AA model was released I kept myself away using the excuse of not being able to handle PWM, but now with the AA converter being constant current... I'm gonna need a Haiku and a Mule... There goes my income! :broke:
I think I'm going to sell off most of my lights to fund this one!

Cheers,
Alex

persco

Enlightened
This reminds me of some things I included in my Essay about the Haiku. :

Amen, Scout24! I just recently received a Tri EDC from Mac. And while it's a great light, having had it and used it for a while made me realize how perfectly thought-out the Haiku is in terms of beam, tint, run time, output, utility, etc.

And nbp: I just bumped your review of the Tri EDC. Someone should bump your Haiku review, too.

scout24

Flashaholic
nbp- I freely admit blatant plagarization of any and all positive threads and posts in reference to the Haiku. Yours. Js's. Don's. Cgps's. Psm's. Fyrstormers. Run4jc's. My own. Anyone else I forgot. (I'd like to thank the Academy.... :) ) This was about returning after going and seeing what else was out there, knowing that it gets no better but wandering anyhow. A re-affirmation if you will... :grouphug: I probably should have started my first post with those thoughts.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scout - very well written and so appropriate....and I doubt that any of us can claim any totally 'new' thoughts related to the Haiku, or any of Don's lights in any form. It's hard to write anything without 'plagiarizing' someone! ;)

Gee, I remember following JS' LS20 review with a Haiku review of my own, just as you mentioned, almost 4 years ago. See, Scout's points are so absolutely accurate, and IMHO simply confirm - reconfirm what some of us know - it's just hard to beat a Haiku. As emitters have improved, the design of the Haiku has remained the same and has adapted to each new LED almost as if the host was originally designed with that particular LED in mind. Cree XRE? XPG? XML? No problem! Nichia 119 - then 119'V'? Again, perfect.

Gee, that question of "why did we stray" - shoot, I might even ask that myself! ;)

So Don, if you are reading this, it's proof positive that you hit a grand slam home run when you designed the Haiku. I confess to being without one - drifting off in search of another 'holy grail' of flashlights, but then PSM just HAD to write his short but meaningful post praising the AA Haiku High CRI. I bit and bought. Followed that less than a month later with the purchase of a 119V Haiku in 123 format. And that light hasn't left my pocket since. AA Haiku on the night table next to my beloved Spy 007, with other lights scattered about the house, but the High CRI Haiku with that awesome 119V emitter is what I reach for. Bright enough (and enough brighter than the AA version to really notice), and just a joy to use.

So Bravo, Scout24 - your comments are dead on the money! And Bravo Don, for keeping this wonderful tool relevant and awesome.

nbp- I freely admit blatant plagarization of any and all positive threads and posts in reference to the Haiku. Yours. Js's. Don's. Cgps's. Psm's. Fyrstormers. Run4jc's. My own. Anyone else I forgot. (I'd like to thank the Academy.... :) ) This was about returning after going and seeing what else was out there, knowing that it gets no better but wandering anyhow. A re-affirmation if you will... :grouphug: I probably should have started my first post with those thoughts.

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
After 2 days with my new Haiku XML, I am ready to call it the best edc... I love the look, function, beam, feel, jeweled clip... Really a work of art... Unfortunately, I am a thumb burner and neutral guy at heart... Note: I run my TC-R1 with an extension tube filled with a NCR186050B...... My girlfriend uses it, and she asked me, "why does this flashlight get so hot?" I tell her, just turn it down..:shrug:
So, to feed my obsessions, like others on this forum, I ordered a 4 level GDuP from Datiled with a 5000K XM-L2 at 10ma, 200ma, 450ma, 1200ma for the Haiku.. I can think of few lights that are worth the expense of putting in a GDuP... For me, The Haiku is at the top of the list and really worth it the investment ! I really like the Haiku !

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
After 2 days with my new Haiku XML, I am ready to call it the best edc... I love the look, function, beam, feel, jeweled clip... Really a work of art... Unfortunately, I am a thumb burner and neutral guy at heart... Note: I run my TC-R1 with an extension tube filled with a NCR186050B...... My girlfriend uses it, and she asked me, "why does this flashlight get so hot?" I tell her, just turn it down..:shrug:
So, to feed my obsessions, like others on this forum, I ordered a 4 level GDuP from Datiled with a 5000K XM-L2 at 10ma, 200ma, 450ma, 1200ma for the Haiku.. I can think of few lights that are worth the expense of putting in a GDuP... For me, The Haiku is at the top of the list and really worth it the investment ! I really like the Haiku !

Getcha a 119V - you'll be spoiled for anything else... ;)

nbp

Flashaholic

Sorry buddy, I should have stated my comment better - I wasn't implying that you plagiarized my thoughts. I was simply noting that I was/am in complete agreement with you on all those points. You caused no offense here. :)

scout24

Flashaholic
Glad there was no offense one way or the other... :) Just continued/ renewed appreciation of the best. :thumbsup:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Well said Greg, boring is a great term! Haiku=Tool

100% Agree

With fancy UI's and lockouts, when it comes to real world EDC use, those lights can be a real PITA.

Pull it out, click, use the tool, click, back in pocket.

Boom!

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ BOOM. I must be getting old. The new use of old words by the young tends to annoy the hell out of me.

Now back to Don's lights, they are really sick man, just cool and out there! Like just..................err BOOM!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
^ BOOM. I must be getting old. The new use of old words by the young tends to annoy the hell out of me.

Now back to Don's lights, they are really sick man, just cool and out there! Like just..................err BOOM!

Ha! I am 33, I guess I'm still young, but trust me, I am FAR from "Hip". :D