Why does everyone hate mag lite?

insanefred

Enlightened
Nice necropost you guys, this thread is almost 13 years old! :whistle:

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Necropost". I'm going to remember that one!

On a more sympathetic note, they have a strong chassis, and offer a certain versatility in modding. I think I have five; two have Malkoff drop-ins, and three were hot-wire mods. Those three were not necessarily terribly practical, but they were fun at the time. One of them has the Fivemega adapter socket to allow the use of common MR16 bulbs, which come in a wide variety of flavors. I just wish high-quality rechargeable D-cell-sized Li-ions were more common.

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
Nice necropost you guys, this thread is almost 13 years old! :whistle:

Indeed, but worth reading from the beginning IMHO so see how much has changed, and what has not changed. I rather like the big old maglights but accept that I am probably in a minority regarding this.
The main change since this thread was new is the ready availability of affordable and really bright LED drop in bulbs, including at least one multi mode LED bulb. I refer here to simple drop in bulbs, not to modifications that require any skill.

DesertNightOwl

Newly Enlightened
Ukiah, CA and Fallon, NV depending on the day
A guy just gave me this old 3D Maglite the other day because it was "broken," turns out the bulb had just burned out and still had the original replacement bulb in the tail cap. Works good as new now. I also have Maglite mini 2 AAs in every room in my house on Maglite wall clips. Love Maglite and their products, quality is there and I never got into the politics of flashlight manufacturers.

20150820_051033.jpg

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Maglite have improved considerably since this thread was first started in 2003 (12 years ago if anyone is counting!). A quick visit to their official website shows a few new modern flashlights that I won't mind owning and would buy if it wasn't for the price in USD.

Yes, they have improved over the past 12 years. But so has every other serious flashlight maker, and those have improved even more. M@glite is still 5-10 years behind the curve, and they charge way too much for outdated lights.

DesertNightOwl

Newly Enlightened
Yes, they have improved over the past 12 years. But so has every other serious flashlight maker, and those have improved even more. M@glite is still 5-10 years behind the curve, and they charge way too much for outdated lights.

Maglite really isn't much more expensive than most China made lights. They Magtac rechargeable is 80$ on Amazon compared to three olight S20R for 70$, more than worth the extra 10$ for the made in USA logo imo.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Maglites, I find their C/D cell lights are super reliable as some of mine are quite old and work fine. They're good 'beaters' especially if you catch them on sale or clearance. I like their AA models too but find they are not as reliable over the long term as they get a little finicky sometimes. I actually reach for a AA Mag over my better lights for certain applications where the potential for lose is great such as kayaking. Dropping/losing a Mag in the river is a lot better then losing an HDS or Malkoff.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite really isn't much more expensive than most China made lights. They Magtac rechargeable is 80$ on Amazon compared to three olight S20R for 70$, more than worth the extra 10$ for the made in USA logo imo.

Yeah, false economics to buy just because it has a USA logo. All you're doing is encouraging US companies to be unproductive. If you buy a Chinese light for cheaper, those US$ you pay the Chinese have to come back to the US eventually to buy a product or service you're actually good at. It's a win-win: you get a cheaper product, and your money comes back to buy a US product that is also competitive.

Free trade is always better for everyone, in the long-run. Sure, it hurts the dying, unproductive companies in the short term, but they're going to eventually die anyway.

I like Maglites, I find their C/D cell lights are super reliable as some of mine are quite old and work fine. They're good 'beaters' especially if you catch them on sale or clearance. I like their AA models too but find they are not as reliable over the long term as they get a little finicky sometimes. I actually reach for a AA Mag over my better lights for certain applications where the potential for lose is great such as kayaking. Dropping/losing a Mag in the river is a lot better then losing an HDS or Malkoff.

Yes, I actually like their old C and D lights. They are tough, and reliable. Their AA lights have been crap.

DesertNightOwl

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, false economics to buy just because it has a USA logo. All you're doing is encouraging US companies to be unproductive. If you buy a Chinese light for cheaper, those US$ you pay the Chinese have to come back to the US eventually to buy a product or service you're actually good at. It's a win-win: you get a cheaper product, and your money comes back to buy a US product that is also competitive.

The Chinese lights like thrunite and olight cost about the same or more than most of the Maglite products I'm seeing. And a 10$ difference hardly covers the cost Maglite pays to operate in over regulated California.

As to free trade bringing the money back you may want to look at the trade gap, our exports are a small fraction of the imports because American companies do not even try to be competitive they just ship production overseas. If it's not worth it you that's fine most people don't care but the trade is unbalanced so I buy American when the price is similar our the quality is greater.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Chinese lights are crap...Give me a maglite. If I want to pay for a premium light I'll get a surefire but I haven't found a need yet.

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened

Here they @re very expensive comp@r@tively. M2X UT @ $129.95 (online) vs 3d cell @$144.(loc@l c@mping store)

Guess which one I bought? Guess which one is the better thrower,@nd lighter to c@rry,@nd has v@riable output/better UI?

I ordered a M@lkoff dropin for my old M@g th@t will do @ W@Y better job th@n the price of @ new model.They @re too f@r behind these d@ys.

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglites have their place in a flashlight collection. I've got a few that are modified with various drop ins from Terralux, Malkoff and Mac's Customs. They are nothing compared to what you can get out of a single 18650 these days, but are easy to use and robust lights that anyone can use (no fiddly modes or UI's to worry about).

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone here that is commenting right now even tried any of the current C or D cell Maglites?
Any?

Yes it took a long time for them to get going again but these are not the same Mag as when this thread was created.
Yes yo can still buy the original versions in stores EVERYWHERE and it can be tough to discern the old from the new at times too but mainly because Mag is still sold EVERYWHERE and last virtually FOREVER too!

Now the versions made at that time likely still work too but they are not comparable aside from looking similar to the current versions.

Also I don't own too many lights that will deliver runtime anywhere near the bigger new Mag and with batteries I can get anywhere too.

Try before Hating.

pvsampson

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone here that is commenting right now even tried any of the current C or D cell Maglites?

Yes.Exactly why I didn't buy one,and decided on a Malkoff dropin for my old one.They are nowhere near good enough for what I wanted,for the outrageous expense.

Tooly

Newly Enlightened
Wife has a mini mag....the other day she used it to look behind the tv, and said......
DAMN, this light sucks!!!! I was proud of her...