Why Does Surefire Drag Its Feet on Next-Gen LED'S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand it. I can buy any number of other lights with the latest LED emitters, but Surefire seems to be more than a year behind the curve. Why is this? I want to get a Surefire, but I don't want something that is top-notch quality, with last year's technology.

Unlike other manufacturers, SureFire do not announce what bin the LEDs they are currently using in their lights are. As such, the KX1/KX2/L1 may be using the latest and greatest emitters, we are just not aware of it. CPF members form a relatively small part of SureFire's sales, and most people are not going to be concerned with whether their light is housing a Q4/Q5/R2.

I do not think SureFire's decision not to state the bin codes of their LEDs is a good reason to assume that they are "behind the curve".

Regards,
Tempest

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
SF isn't a manufacturer that NEEDS to have the best "Flavor of the week" like other companies do, to make money. They take time on R&D and designing a light that will be free of problems. Their products are Top Notch and remain on top of the game by developing product that can be counted on.
Most "consumers" generally do not care what Brand/Model/Bin the flashlight has as long as its bright!
We are a minority here when it comes to the details of our lights. General flashlight users just want it to work and be bright.

True! This is what I called a "matured flashaholic":D

I think I`m on that stage now of this addiction... :paypal:

Bringsteen

Newly Enlightened
As has been made amply clear at many points in this thread, I am working with a smaller body of LED knowledge than most of those who responded. Notice that I never called into question Surefire's quality. My ignorance of three facts contributed to my confusion:
1. Surefire does not release information about the brand/model/bin of emitters they use.

2. Surefire measures lumen output from the window, rather than from the emitter.

3. Surefire does not exaggerate Lumen output.

Having now seen the Backup's beamshot juxtaposed with beamshots from ostensibly "180" lumen lights, it is pretty clear that Surefire does not say anything their product cannot back up.

I have been learned.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a few weeks ago there was a huge recall on the Rebel LED, they would fail after 25 hrs or so, something which could take several battery changes to happen. Aren't you glad now that Surefire didn't jump on them when they were the "latest greatest" LED's?

DM51

Flashaholic
And on that happy note, with the OP manifestly delighted with some of the answers he has received, and the wide variety of matters raised already covered extensively in other threads anyway, we will close this thread.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
WadeF madde a very important point though. Beam spread.
The peak lux readings (hotspot brightness) have nothing to do with the total luminous flux.

For instance ... the SF E1B casts a brighter light on a wall than a 60W household incan bulb. However, the bulb has a way higher luminous flux.

The beam of the E1B is a very effective compromise. Very clever optic. This helps the light.

Surefire, just like any other manufacturer, can't work wonders. SF pumping 350mA through a Cree is the same as Ultrafire pumping 350mA through a Cree. A few steps in bin up and down are really negligable.
The important things about a light are everything else ... but not the drive current of a LED. Everyone can make a bright light today, but very few can make a good light.

bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.