Why is my x990 casting a yellow light?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilted, do you mean just the yellow beam? That is 100% normal. Yellow will go awaay with use. The problem sorka has is one of maybe three problems I've ever heard of with the x990s.

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
Hi Sorka,

The inrush current for those lamps from what I remember is in the region of 7 Amps and is dropping to Aprox 4.8-5.0 Amps from memory .
That Ballast is specifically designed to run a 4300K Bulb and is quiet reliable, as you may know those are pressurized bulbs, while warming up those inert gases expend too.
That expansion forms (film deposits) on the inner surface , bombarded with high UV levels makes the output seems yellow as it passes through the film.
From past tests on that ballast I guess you will just have to run the unit for a while , to a point when all vapors in the tube are balanced.
Should it continue I would check the lamp connectors for Carbon deposits and try a replacement bulb.

Last edited:

sorka

Newly Enlightened
Again, my problem isn't with the color, but the brightness. And as far as color goes, it's yellower than my stock Thor and quite a bit dimmer.

The interior spherical chamber of the bulb after warming up for about 10 seconds is about 70% filled with liquid metal halide salts. This can't be normal.

At any rate, suvlights told me to send it back and they'll fix it. I'll report back after I get it to let you know.

Also, remember from my initial report, when I first got the light and started it up, it was a bright white light for at least 5 minutes. Very nice. It was turning it on some time after that when it got dim and yellow...I mean really yellow like a mag light that has almost dead batteries.

sorka

Newly Enlightened
MaxaBaker said:
Sorka, what company made yours? (eg: Acro, Maxtell, McCulloch...etc)

McCulloch...but it's all the same company: Jen Feng.

-Alan

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for your own info, SuvLights is the guy that invented/designed the X990 in the first place. He had some real good deals on a lot of the McCullogh jobs. I still say it sounds defective because a good X990 is about as bright as it gets. No problem after a year with mine. Works better now than when new.

sorka

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I know. I sent it back in at his request and he's going to look at it.

BTW, he says that colorshifting a bulb by constantly rotating it is really really bad for the bulb and that you should never do that.

Since he designed the x990, he probably knows.

sorka

Newly Enlightened
Jen at suvlights.com sent me a new x990 to replace the last one. I've run this one several hours now and so far is fine. Much brighter than the last one. Big difference!

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Aloha Sorka! :thinking:

I too have the dreaded yellow-sickness in my new X990. I just got mine and was VERY disappointed in the color of the light. I compared it to my UK Light cannon 100 (10W) and Costco HID (35W). The X990 completely drowned out the UK, the spill light from the X990 bright as the spot beam on the UK (shocking) but the X990 color was totally jaundice-liver-sick-yellow compared to the very bluish UK. Against the costco it was worse. The costco's output was the closest to a sunlight-white I have ever seen in an HID and made the X990's yellowing even more apparent. So I'm going to take your lead and see if I can get a replacement, at least the bulb. I love the light itself except for its suprising weight. Kinda silly too that its so top-heavy its not possible to use the 90 deg vari-angle on the head for much. It cant tailstand in the 90deg position, it falls over. All would be right in the world if I could just get a bluish white or ANYthing besides this darn YELLOW!
:rant:

sorka

Newly Enlightened
My light is still very yellow just not as dim as the last one. The color temp is clearly a lot lower than 4300K. Obviously these bulbs are not pre color shifted.

I'm curious, where did you get your light?

I'm wondering if perhaps you got it the same place I did if there might have been an issue with the entire batch.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Sorka,

I got mine from a dealer called First Choice Products but it was drop shipped from Acro. Kudos to FCProducts, they fielded my concerns about the yellowing and I got a nice reply from Acro tech support, which javascript in Netscape wont let me copy/paste, but I'll keep trying...

.... to sum up they say its normal production variance and specifically they were targeting a 4300K white to earn government contracts, so thats what was production spec. they did offer a 5100K and 6100K white bulb as $129 "upgrades" to suit my color preferences which i found interesting.... otherwhise the official Acro word is "thats what we were shooting for" I've run mine in some more and notice slight improvement, more me getting used to the color. My unit IS extremely bright, NO complaints there! The color reminds me of those Wolfeyes Dragon vs Surefire M6 HOLA comparison beamshots. My Acro is very incandescent flavored and powerful, oddly like the M6 (!) I'm adapting to it mostly and still love its sheer power. How's that about having your cake and eating it saying go again....?