Why so much interest in hand-held flashlights relative to headlamps?

Andrew M.

Newly Enlightened
I argee, no where as many good mid priced choices. I first bought ,which turned out to be an old tech Petzel's which are still so over priced, yet gets rave reviews , that has less light than a $.99 light I got from meritline[keep them in the vehicles for emergency]. I looked at Fenix but I am waiting for a better HP10 design. Do not want the bulk of the HP20.
Just ordered the Fenix headband [$20 at amazon]because with all the Fl's I have and the lack of continuous Turbo setting on the HP10 [Fenix fan] I want to try this for now. I also have a Rayovac K2 that I velcro strap to the headband 1 or 2 LD01's to add more light. The LD01 w. 1 AAA out powers the 3x AAA K2.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a zip pouch, of the sort used for small digital cameras. Then into some kind of bag, box, pocket, purse, or what not with the other gear I carry.

I take your point if you are wearing tight pants and don't want to carry a bag or purse...although davidt has clever ways of EDCing a Zebralight with an elastic loop and a shoelace...he wears the light around his neck under his shirt like a necklace.

A lot of people still think of headlamps as those bulky jockstrap ones. I can't blame them for thinking that because most headlamps are bulky jockstrap ones. I like ZL lights so much because they are not bulky like the jockstrap headlamps. Although I have about 5 flashlights, my primary light is the ZL H51w. Wearing and using the light right from my neck is how I roll. I wish other people could experience the convenience and usefulness of my ZL setup.

Here is yet another picture of my EDC lights: ZL H51w and Fenix E05. These are the same lights I take to work, camp, church, the library, birthday parties, wedding receptions, the gym, the track, etc. The E05 is a backup and loaner light, but have not been used once.
IMG_6430.jpg

The H51w comes with a nice, deep clip for pocket carry
IMG_6288.jpg

Last edited:

tedh

Newly Enlightened
yes, good point, davidt1. When we complain about pocketability of headlamps, it's often the straps we're actually complaining about. Petzl did a nice job with the Zipka, with the entendible string to go around your head. Davidt1's mods are another nice example. The strap system on many seems unecessarily robust, and a holdover to much older, heavier headlamps. Much room for good design updates here. How about a headlamp with a retractable strap (not string)? It's not that hard.

I find it easy to use a headlamp as a handheld flashlight, if the straps don't get in the way.

Ted

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
Now Seth, nothing of the sort. Don't get sore. I think it's a very clever adapt for a handheld, and if you prefer a cap over a band, with that particular light, it's perfect. If you offered me a clip like that I'd gladly accept, and try my L1D on it. The only statement I couldn't follow was when you said: "This is the best combination I have found to use as a headlamp." I understand now you did not mean "This is better than a headlamp." We're cool, stick around.

And please post that photo in the thread "Attaching Small Flashlights to Hat Bill," it's one of the better adapts I've seen.
Its all good. I can only compare it to the headlamp I already have and I like this setup better. I keep saying Petzyl but it is actually a Princeton Tec headlamp that I have. As to the above statement that I wrote, I was referring to my own personal use. I was not intending for it to be a generalized statement that applies to everyone.

As for the clip, I could send you one for a test if you like. The problem with it is the clip is not widely produced, it comes with a Quarrow branded rechargeable headlamp that they sell at Fry's Electronics. I bought several of them on sale last year when they were only $6.99, but now it seems like they sell for around $15. I am not sure if it would fit an L1D, but if you want one to try I can send one your way. Just PM me. I have used other lights that are larger diameter then the Mini 123, but it eventually caused one of the clips to snap when I was jogging with it in a snowstorm (about 25 degrees fahrenheit out). That is the downfall of the design, The plastic does not seem to take the extreme cold weather. But it seems to work fine for jogging daily in above freezing weather.

Last edited:

dla

Newly Enlightened
The LED forum (overwhelmingly representing handheld lights) is 8x as active as the headlamp forum. Most manufacturers put their main efforts into making hand-held lights, only a few dabble in headlamps, if at all.

Why? I don't understand why *not* losing one of your two hands to hold a light, isn't a more popular solution than it is.

Im not saying it has to be a headlamp...any option that frees up my hands is appreciated, including bent head lights that hang from the chest or belt. But it seems the majority of the world is perfectly willing to give up 50% of their dexterity to grip a flashlight.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how useful a handheld is when walking down a trail looking for bears...and other situations where you need to point the beam precisely...but for the vast majority of flashlight use, isn't NOT having to hold it, preferable?

[From recollection of answers posted to original question: Handhelds allow more precise placement of beam, are easier to pocket, can act as defensive weapons, can be much larger thus run longer and throw farther, are easier to modify, are more fun to fondle...and the one that sucked all the oxygen out of the room: headlamps make you look mockably geeky and goofy, whereas a handheld makes you look sexy and cool.]

Tradition is hard to break. But I see the military is switching to headlamps, so Law Enforcement is probably only a decade away. If I see a picture of someone holding a light in their teeth I laugh. But I know some folks are a bit slow to wise up.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I said it before and I'll say it again - try getting laid with a headlamp on. Sorry Moderators for the strong language... but it's true.

Shao

tedh

Newly Enlightened
You've just got to seek out partners with a coal miner fetish. Once you start looking, they're everywhere.

I'm not sure it's so much easier to do the deed with a flashlight in one hand. I'll admit the metaphor is a bit more suggestive, though.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I see a picture of someone holding a light in their teeth I laugh. But I know some folks are a bit slow to wise up.

Heh, for quick tasks, I'll often hold my H501w in my mouth rather than clip it on.

--flatline

mbw_151

Enlightened
Yes headlamps are a little geek and a little less convenient to carry, but if you really need to use battery powered lights you need headlamps. I'm not a collector and I really don't "play" with lights too much. I have almost as many high quality headlamps as handhelds. All my lights are "deployed", placed in locations where they are likely to be used; cars, trucks, boat, packs and bags. Each headlamp is multilevel and is accompanied by a multilevel handheld. This pairing makes for a very versatile system, headlamp for mostly flood and handheld for mostly throw. I only have more handhelds because of small AAA and coin cell EDCs and because some locations need to have the most durable, reliable, and simple lights. These are C2/C3 and Z2/Z3 Surefires with Malkoff dropins, the lights I grab when it absolutely must work or things could be bad.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I like headlamps a lot and find myself using one often, but for a quick splash of light a hand held light is faster and more easily adjusted and for throwing a light at a distance you can point a flashlight parallel to the ground while a headlamp ends up angling down so you end up having to tilt your head and move your head all around and position it to see something while a flashlight requires you to move your head slightly and eyes more to follow. If you just washed and got your hair looking nice a headlamp will mess it up and when it gets hot you can sweat on the headpiece and strap and get it all soggy and salty while a flashlight you can just wipe off the headband you would have to try and wash it.
For throwing a distance a headlamp is a little less convenient than a flashlight but for short distances a headlamp can rule. I think the one thing that has people balking at headlamps is the cost of them seems noticeably higher than the strap and mount would cost over a flashlight making them nowhere near even in expenditure. I would like to see a 2AA headlamp with a dropin based light engine that can be upgraded from circuit to light engine/LED so you don't have to keep buying another headlamp over and over just swap out the modules.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the discussion is starting to just repeat the same answers over and over, in slightly different words.

Handheld or headlamp, it all comes down to application.

In a nutshell (as someone has in his sig line): Handhelds are for searching/looking/finding. Headlamps are for working/handling/doing.

Magnumpy

Newly Enlightened
I think the discussion is starting to just repeat the same answers over and over, in slightly different words.

In a nutshell (as someone has in his sig line): Handhelds are for searching/looking/finding. Headlamps are for working/handling/doing.

that's a good explanation. personally I find my headlamp get's more use than my (very nice and expensive) flashlights. with the possible exception of my little EDC light on my keyring.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like others have noted, I think a wider range of high end, modular, aluminum housing headlamps (similar to the Little Monkey and Scurion headlamps but headband rather than helmet mounted) would bolster interest here among enthusiasts. I just have a hard time getting excited about unsinked plastic housed headlamps, because I know they can't be driven as hard as some of the better sinked flashlights using the same emitters. Practicality wise, headlamps get high marks. But interest wise, because many here at CPF like to be on the bleeding edge, they're just not interesting enough to really get excited about. I think the last time I got really excited about a headlamp was when Ahorton made a run, but alas I was too poor for one at the time. I think because the battery packs can be external to the emitter housing a good modular design could be more easily adaptable to developments in technology than even the very popular flashlight formats like the 6p or Maglite. I think a system like this could be extremely interesting to enthusiasts.

moonfish

Newly Enlightened

To add to that wisdom: most people don't do much in the dark. The need is small. Maybe they're walking around and they need something to do with their hands.

If you take up hardcore catfishing, headlamps become popular because you're actually doing something in the dark and you need your hands. But most people are walmart oriented. Their needs are still pretty small. They're happy with that AAAx3 and seeing 20 feet.

When the need arises, a lot of people won't wear a headlamp. They are too vain. It isn't anymore complicated than that. Despite all the obscure and wordy objections, they are just too vain.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd never really thought about the vanity thing, but then I guess the people I know best are headlamp users, generally underground as well as on the surface, and cavers do generally seem to put practicality over appearance.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I just have a hard time getting excited about unsinked plastic housed headlamps, because I know they can't be driven as hard as some of the better sinked flashlights using the same emitters. ...
It's true about not being as bright and therefore not as exciting. I realized why headlamps SHOULD BE that way a few weeks ago when winter camping. It gets really dark out in the woods before 5pm, and so, of course, on goes the headlamp. By the time we were crawling into our sleeping bags it had been on for the better part of SEVEN hours [off only when I was in close proximity to the campfire]. I realized that if the headlamp had been brighter, it would have needed new batteries. If I had the option of higher levels, I would have used them a few times - no way I can resist that - and would need new cells. The lamp was comfortable for seven hours because it didn't have a heatsink.

However:
Even though I know why it shouldn't be made brighter, a bigger, brighter one would be more alluring and sexier. Such is lights.

Thrifty

srfreddy

Enlightened
It's true about not being as bright and therefore not as exciting. I realized why headlamps SHOULD BE that way a few weeks ago when winter camping. It gets really dark out in the woods before 5pm, and so, of course, on goes the headlamp. By the time we were crawling into our sleeping bags it had been on for the better part of SEVEN hours [off only when I was in close proximity to the campfire]. I realized that if the headlamp had been brighter, it would have needed new batteries. If I had the option of higher levels, I would have used them a few times - no way I can resist that - and would need new cells. The lamp was comfortable for seven hours because it didn't have a heatsink.

However:
Even though I know why it shouldn't be made brighter, a bigger, brighter one would be more alluring and sexier. Such is lights.

Thrifty

A brighter headlamp is also less efficent on lower levels most of the time, like zebralight.

okent

Newly Enlightened
I have been using headlamps for the past 12 years in my day job.
I am an ENT so I need to look in tiny holes and be able to use both hands.
The ONLY way this works is with a headlamp and I have found use of this type of light in almost every application.

To me the issue is that handhelds can be made so much brighter than headlights until the most recent development of high powered LED's.
If I could get a really high output headlamp I would not own a handheld.