Why the dislike for LED LENSER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keenism

Newly Enlightened
Re: FOR ALL YOU HATERS....The Led Lenser M7RX

*golf clap* Shame I've spent my money on brands doing a bit better job of keeping with the times...

edit: IPX4 ....doesn't even deserve the golf clap, I do have a pen with a similar magnetic holder...not sure about using that as a charging method.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

... IPX4 ....doesn't even deserve the golf clap ...

There's a reason zoomable lights tend to not be waterproof. Cycling the zooming mechanism changes the internal volume of the light. This changes the relative air pressure inside the light compared to that outside the light. If the light were completely air-tight, pressure would not be able to equalize and vacuum action would cause the bezel to return to whichever position it was in when the battery compartment was closed. This is a bad thing.

If you want a completely water-proof air-tight light, you should not look for a zoomable light.

keenism

Newly Enlightened

I can think of several solutions that would seal off the light once its zoom level is chosen, I assume their engineers could as well.

tankmatt

Newly Enlightened
No love for Led Lenser?!?

Hi all.
I'm a newbee - so probably missing something, but what's the issue with led lenser.
I have been looking at the M7RX & the X7R. To me they seem like quality lights (newbee?!). The idea of optical lenses makes sense, and the focusable beam seems useful.
So, why no love for Led Lenser

Newuser01

Enlightened
Re: No love for Led Lenser?!?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?337898-Why-the-dislike-for-LED-LENSER

And do a little google search like this : "site : http://www.candlepowerforums.com led lenser M7RX X7R"

and see what you come up with.... Generally LED Lenser lights are regarded as follows.
LED Lensers tend to be overpriced for what you get. For instance, LED Lensers have:
1. Many LED lensers are direct drive single mode lights with no regulation. This means they dim rapidly as the battery runs down.
2. The few regulated models tend to only have high-med-blinky modes... similar to what is found on many budget $10 lights and far inferior to the modes and UI found on high-end lights.
3. They have plastic optics and reflectors. Many other high-end lights have coated glass optics with metal reflectors.
4. Dated LEDs which produce far less light than the latest LEDs found in other lights. Here I suspect it may be a conscious decision on LED Lenser's part. Their main feature is the zoom which does better with older, but higher surface brightness, LEDs.
5. Type II anodizing which wears through rapidly and looks like crap after minimal use. Inferior to Type III hard anodize which is standard on other lights of similar price.
6. Switches that tend to wear out and break.
7. Does not tailstand.
8. Not waterproof (understandable, because making a zoom light waterproof causes issues with the zoom mechanism self-cycling due to vacuum pressure).
9. No support for li-ion batteries. A AA-sized LED Lenser only runs on AA.... it won't take 14500, etc. Not much of an issue for a typical user, but it is a big issue for flashlight enthusiasts found on these forums.

The only thing LED Lensers have that makes them stand out is the superior zoom mechanism. They hold the patents to it so this feature is unique. Without the zoom mechanism the rest of the light is really no better than a cheap budget light you can buy for 1/5 the price.

The LED Lenser zoom mechanism is fairly good. On my LED Lenser, light output does not noticeably diminish zooming from spot to flood in a ceiling bounce test. Pretty impressive considering that on all the cheap clones using aspheric lenses light output dims dramatically when doing the same. However, despite the good zoom mechanism, the rest of the light just isn't good enough to overcome the price. You can buy much better and more functional high end lights without the zoom for the same price.

For the price of an LED Lenser you can buy a different brand of light, that is waterproof, looks better, has a much longer lasting finish, has 4x the light output, many more modes, a much better UI, and can throw nearly as far. Why would you want to buy a Lenser?
1: no regulation :duh2:
2: poor quality
3: not water proof
4: and the price is how much???

pfft..! :mad:
led lenser M7RX cost $230 + shipping.:sick:
led lenser X7R cost $180 + shipping. :sick:
WOW, Let me go buy some lottery tickets and I'll be back!
This is the kind of $ some would spend on SureFire lights.

Last edited:

eusty

Newly Enlightened

Having bought a lenser as my first light I was pretty impressed, but after more lights I agree with the view that they are overpriced and under spec compared to others in the market.

Sent using Tapatalk 2.

jellydonut

Enlightened

The only thing they have going for them is the flood-spot alternation, which is actually pretty good in my book.

In terms of quality, durability, reliability, and what you get for your dollar.. They're some of the worst out there.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably one of the best at marketing,there display stands have "Buy me now" written all over them.Check out the display option videos they have available.They dominate many markets throughout the world.They make you feel you bought something special.You get a nice black box and a nice holster and generally something like a carabiner from the showcase stand,buying from the floor stand you get it in a test it blister.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened

I don't really get all this complaining that "its not water-proof", surely the comprimise of an excellent focusing mechanism is a decrease in water-resistance...? Having had a look, water is more likely to get in the switch mechanism of my P7 than at the head.

Other than that, agree the tech is a bit old for the price and build quality is "acceptable".

GM

yliu

Enlightened

Even with their regulated lights, the regulation isn't so good and output tend to drop with use.

The biggest problem is the high price... You can buy much better lights with better performance.

tankmatt

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the input guys...

Certainly more issues than I was expecting. I might take a closer look into a fenix tk35.

Tybo22

Newly Enlightened

No love here !!! Got a MR7 for my birthday took it back 2 days later. LED Lenser is a jack of all trades...master of none. It has flood and throw but does neither well. Direct drive is a no no for me as is not being able to use lithium batteries. On top of that they have poor regulation and they use out dated led's.

firelord777

Enlightened

Currently, Led Lenser isn't good, I would even say, at all, compared to other options. Unless they pull themselves together and stop overpricing lights and make them better, we won't be changing our opinion anytime soon.

No offense to led Lenser owners.

One day, I has my Klarus XT20, and I was walking outside. Some random guy hollers if I had a led Lenser. I was like..um..heck no! I showed then XT to him and he was just stunned, even more when I told him the price! Even though $150 is a lot for the average person (I got the light for review, because I simply don't have that kind of money laying around), he said he should have bought the Klarus. His eyes gleaned when I told him it was waterproof, and explained what regulation is and the whole deal.

He said he was going to join CPF under the name of homesecurity - something, but I never saw him after that.

Cheers

Al_D

Newly Enlightened

There is such a bewildering array of better alternatives to anything Led Lenser has to offer in its line-up-- In almost every respect expect, as mentioned above, marketing. Their placement in venues of manly pursuits is aggressive and persuasive to the uninitiated. With that brand-visibility they've seemingly found the 'balls' to charge the prices for their products that (more) deserving companies do.
Don't get me wrong, if I see someone, especially someone I did not expect to be so inclined, pull out a light for a task I recognize that person's foresight to be prepared with an appropriate tool-- regardless of it's maker.

tankmatt

Newly Enlightened

I guess I should look into klarus also.
Joining this forum may end up costing me lots...

Status
Not open for further replies.