Wicked Lasers 445nm <1W Spyder III Pro Arctic Series

Shiftlock

Enlightened
Yes, but wouldn't it be fun if all the journalists reading our posts with bated breath were to dig into Wicked Laser's shady history? I digress. WL's FBI rap sheet is for another thread.

FWIW, I don't believe that Chris is affiliated with WL anymore. I believe he sold the whole thing. I don't know this for sure, but I heard rumors while back, and it's the impression I get by the way the company has changed. Oh well, who knows...

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, people are contesting whether the 445nm diode can do 1W or not, but nobody really has an issue with the beam divergence of 1.5 mRad...
Nobody is contesting whether the 445nm diode can do 1W or not. Everybody is curious about the beam divergence claim of 1.5mRad, though. This diode is transverse multimode, you will see a line of emission. Also, divergence will be crap on the fast-diverging axis.

God that would really suck; If it was not a circular beam

This means bad for holograms. For a pointer, who cares. No sweat, Smurf, you'll like it. It'll be a line, but the line will be as wide as a dot if you were using a regular diode.

Here's a horrible photoshop I did that might give you some idea of what i'm talking about:
Leads me to believe there needs to be more efficient lenses to capture the entire emitting area

If I recall correctly, (buncha stuff about WL owner)

Yes, but wouldn't it be fun if all the journalists reading our posts with bated breath were to dig into Wicked Laser's shady (link)history? I digress. WL's FBI rap sheet is for another thread.

You are aware of the underground, raccoon? I think it would be a better fit for these types of posts. Besides, whose side are you on? I, for one, like light, especially light from semiconductors. It would pain me to know that I could have bought some 445nm 1W diodes, but that because of the media panic and a bunch of people on the intarwebs, they will have been banned and I won't have bought any in time. Let us all work together to keep monochromatic coherent light sources available to the public.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am waiting for the product to ship to actual customers (+ reviews). Once I see that happening I may put in an order for one. Personally I'd be okay with the diode only running at 0.5W. But I don't like how wicked has put the <1W marketing crud out there when what I really want to know is the minimum output. Beyond power output I'm also waiting for a review on the divergence.
Too good to be true was definitely my first thought, so I'm not jumping in without taking a look around first.

matt304

Newly Enlightened
Leads me to believe there needs to be more efficient lenses to capture the entire emitting area

Uh, no.

It is a MULTIMODE diode. It has nothing to do with lenses not capturing the entire emitting area. The lens easily captures the entire emission. The laser cavity emits an excited output shape of a 'slit'. Just like a squished football.

The way you correct this is with a lens assembly shaped like a half cylinder. Light enters the flat side and one axis stays the same while the other axis widens. Or, an anamorphic prism pair is used. I have found anamorphic pairs, but the stinking things are not coated for 400-500nm range light and are useless. They ain't cheap, either!

Someone asked me if my 1.1W laser will hit clouds. No, not really. The beam is super bright an visible, but laser beams mostly look the same because your eyes cannot determine the length of the beam. A 445nm beam actually terminates earlier in the air from the observers view than say, a 400mW 532nm green laser. Side by side, the observable difference would be a tiny amount up in the sky, but in reality that difference is in miles. The football shaped 'dot' from my 1.1W laser gets huge very fast. You can see the dot on buildings at maybe 1000 yards or more, but if it was a true dot with the divergence of the narrow axis of the beam now, that dot would be visible at 3000+/- yards.

The only thing cool about the 445nm laser, so far, is the beam. A blu-ray laser at 500mW will burn the skin and objects much better than 445nm due to a true dot shape with amazingly tight divergence.

If someone can correct the beam to a dot, and then focus it, problems will be solved and this laser will become truly amazing.

Oh, someone also asked about star pointing? I don't know, that pretty odd you would seek a 1W laser for star pointing. Of course it will point to stars. So will 50mW of green.

Shiftlock

Enlightened
Here it is boys and girls.....

The Arctic III does in fact exisit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-SduY4A2kE

Interesting. That video was posted by the YouTube account "wickedlasersvids". Is that Wicked Lasers themselves, or a customer? With the low price and all the media attention, WL has to have received a metric sh*t ton of orders for that unit, so I wonder how long it's going to take them to ship them all. They're going to have to cannibalize a ton of projectors, if that's where they're really getting the diodes. I imagine they've at least attempted to get the diodes direct from the manufacturer, though.

I'm still waiting for a video of some power measurements.

matt304

Newly Enlightened
Based on all of the testing I have followed plotting these diodes and plotting myself, there should be no problem at all getting 1 watt out of the WL to meet their claim. Hell, I use a little heatsink for 1.1W and it gets warm, but that huge thing they are using should have no problem! That laser is way bigger than I had expected, or hoped for.

Shiftlock

Enlightened
Based on all of the testing I have followed plotting these diodes and plotting myself, there should be no problem at all getting 1 watt out of the WL to meet their claim. Hell, I use a little heatsink for 1.1W and it gets warm, but that huge thing they are using should have no problem! That laser is way bigger than I had expected, or hoped for.

Where did you get the diode, if you don't mind me asking?

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
That dot looks much better than I expected, small and round :thumbsup:

I wonder if it's just the video making it look better than it actually is or if wicked really solved the transverse multimode issue? Seems unlikely that they put anamorphic prisms and stuff in a $200 laser...

Anyway, that thing looks badass and I can't wait to get mine :naughty:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That dot looks much better than I expected, small and round :thumbsup:

I wonder if it's just the video making it look better than it actually is or if wicked really solved the transverse multimode issue? Seems unlikely that they put anamorphic prisms and stuff in a $200 laser...

Anyway, that thing looks badass and I can't wait to get mine :naughty:
:duh2:
It's a 1.5mm speck of burning fire, I doubt its shape is apparent in a youtube video...?

Raccoon

Enlightened
So much for the theory of a grossly football shaped dot. Though the beam shot video has to be around 20 feet, I see no indication of ugliness. Now if they would release a 100 meter beam shot video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-SduY4A2kE#t=2m15s

Now I'd like to know how much of that side spillage is camera bloom, and how much is actual side spillage (flashlight).

Last edited:

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am waiting for the product to ship to actual customers (+ reviews). Once I see that happening I may put in an order for one. Personally I'd be okay with the diode only running at 0.5W. But I don't like how wicked has put the <1W marketing crud out there when what I really want to know is the minimum output. Beyond power output I'm also waiting for a review on the divergence.
Too good to be true was definitely my first thought, so I'm not jumping in without taking a look around first.

by then the price may jump astronomically!

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
:duh2:
It's a 1.5mm speck of burning fire, I doubt its shape is apparent in a youtube video...?

Did you watch the video to the end? The guy puts a filter in front of the camera so you can see the dot nicely, without the intense light and blooming :)

Edit: oops, didn't see ejot's post :eek:

matt304

Newly Enlightened
So much for the theory of a grossly football shaped dot. Though the beam shot video has to be around 20 feet, I see no indication of ugliness. Now if they would release a 100 meter beam shot video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-SduY4A2kE#t=2m15s

Now I'd like to know how much of that side spillage is camera bloom, and how much is actual side spillage (flashlight).

It looks like they may have actually used cylindrical lenses to correct the football shaped output of the diode.

It's hard to tell, though. The youtube quality sucks ***, and it almost appears there is a darker "line" through the middle of the dot. A high def video very close through a filter would work better.

Why would anyone hesitate to buy this? Reviews? Come on, you can't apply that tactic here. This is something too good to get away. Order the damned thing, it's $200 bucks. If it isn't up to your idea of quality for $200, which is almost impossible when you compare to any other laser, just sell the thing on the forums and get your money right back!

Last edited: