Wife depressed with nothing to do

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I'm having a hard time because I have quite a few hobbies that can easily keep me endlessly busy. But they are the hands-on-building-things hobbies that she isn't into.
She has no activities or hobbies, and is not much of a "hands-on" type. She's becoming more depressed with nothing to do, and ends up spending all evening on the computer in chat boards/forums (mostly "The Bump" with other newly pregnant women...she is 8 weeks prego).

It's hard to not be insensitive and I want to say "Just find something to do!"

I know it's nearly impossible to recommend a hobby, or activity of any sort, to someone you don't now....and perhaps I'm venting more than asking? But any ideas at all would be appreciated.

Well, I got my significant other an M20 Warrior (premium even) for her purse for Christmas and am now springing for a platinum band. So consider the frame of reference....the M20 is now up for sale....

That said, it's tough to talk about an issue like (potentially) clinical depression. My advice is talk to her more and not so much ask her what is making her blue, but looking at what her life if like from her frame of reference. I would see her lack of interests as more a symptom of depression than "just not having anything to do". They are easy to confuse, even from those affected directly and those attempting to effect some change in outlook.

Good luck in figuring out what is going on, but it sounds like your own frame of reference may be providing a foundation that makes it hard for you to relate to hers.
You feel connected, she apparently does not. Not stepping any farther into that on a flashlight forum:sssh:.

.02 worth of pulp relationship advice on cpf.

Look at your wife's life as a garden that overlaps and enriches yours.

She is a plant in that mutual garden that you help to maintain and nurture.
In return you recieve enrichment also. As her plant grows and becomes healthy, so she complements her garden and the joint garden that is your life together.

Then again maybe she just needs a new M20 Warrior for her purse....

Latest posts