• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WIP: bold new territory

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a very interesting build log, thank you for taking the time to write it all up tab665! Fred's work is outstanding and it's a pleasure to watch the process.

If you're talking to him can you ask him two questions for me?
1) How the heck is his workpiece always so clean? Where is all the cutting fluid and swarf? :faint:
2) I'm curious what motions he made with his boring bar to leave such a prominent, angular battery bump?

Cheers man, looking forward to seeing the final results!

If the workpiece is clear of cutting fluids and swarf it is because I wiped it down before taking a photo; there are some shots in this thread that aren't so tidy. :)

The battery button is fairly easy to do, but only if one plans ahead. For instance, when drilling out the interior of the battery tube, I know the final depth that I want. But there is nothing to say that the drill can not go deeper than that, just as long as the diameter of the drill point will not be too large. This is a large diameter battery, so when I drilled using the smaller diameter drills, I went about 2 mm deeper than the final height of the button. That made the boring operation fairly easy since I could put the tip of the insert near the axis of the tube and cut toward the OD of the light--there was no chatter, nor any binding at all.

For the final cut to clear any wrapping on the battery, I switch to an insert with a lot of clearance angle. And then I cut from the axis to the outside of the tube. You only need a shallow cut of 0.50mm to clear the wrapping of the battery.

Tacti'cool'

Newly Enlightened
This is probably the most beautiful flashlight I have ever seen. I cant wait to see the final product.

Ladd

Enlightened
Re Post #18 (Quote:) ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?!? Fred probably intended that statement to be rhetorical, but YES, this thread is great! Absolutely fascinating. Thank you for your generosity. Subscribed.

Status
Not open for further replies.