With 2013 LED technology- who has switched back to AAs for their flashlights?

LedTed

Enlightened
I tried to move on from AAs to 18650s, but can't find a NiteCore D11 that runs on an 18650. With conflicting information I can't even move on to 14500s in my D11 V2 EDC.

D6859

Enlightened
I bought Armytek Tiara A1 and some 14500 batteries last week. I'm really impressed by the max output - even from a single AA - and I've been carrying it around in my pocket for a week instead of my Thrunite TN12 powered by an 18650. I like the small size and the fact it can use both AA and 14500 with same modes. It's not that good for my main purpose of use as a bike light (obviously). I like to have a light with ~300 lm output for at least 3 hours so I don't have to recharge the batteries every third day. My Olight S15 is close to that but there's no return after I bought TN12.

In my key chain I carry Olight i2 which has less impressive output than Tiara but it is much slimmer. So no, I'm not switching back to only AAs but I keep EDCing both AA and 18650 lights.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a light size of the i2 and with the output of Tiara (and maybe in some another universe with the runtime of TN12) :)

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually never truly warmed up to AA batteries in the first place. I always looked at them as a HUGE sacrifice of capacity in the name of decreasing size. Higher capacity AA batteries are better in my eye than, say, Eneloop 2000s. But when it comes to NiMH, I would rather just stick with larger form factors like C and D due to higher capacity. Trying to overcome their lower capacity by increasing their numbers in a light (ie the TK41 or EA8) just seems silly to me, as now you have too many batteries to worry about (it would just be easier to charge 3-4 C or D cells instead). Also, I just don't care too much for AA lights. I like the SC52, but always find myself running it on a 14500 since it just works better on them. The L3 L10 is pretty good, but is really only for situations where you don't need alot of light. 2AA lights never impressed me much because of their need for a boost converter (and the resulting limitations in output). And although 4AA could work, they are all throwers. And I prefer floody lights (maybe if Zebralight made a 4AA, I might buy one).

As a result, I run mainly converted C and D cell Maglites for NiMH. Or I run Li-Ion. For me, AA and AAA lights are for keychains. Granted, a real 200+ lumens per watt could change all that.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah I'm pretty much done with AA. I have a few L10 lights which are great, but not used that much. 18650 is pretty much all I use now.

Regarding common standard of AAs, I need to remind myself:

Number of times I was being chased by zombies in a power outtage and every single store was out of batteries so I needed to fall back on my AAs = 0.

A few 18650s and a backup AA go a long way. If the world is ever so bad that I'm struggling to make this work, I think I have bigger problems.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've stepped even further down as technology has progressed over the years- cr123a to AA to now even budget aaa's I've found can be so bright, white, & intense for what you get for your money lately I can't justify anything more for my purposes. It's been kind of an end to an enthusiasm as much as I keep coming back trying to rationalize.

Treeguy

Enlightened
I just bought a pack of 30 Energizer AAs for about $15. In my Rayovac Indestructible, about $20, I can get 100 lumens for 450 hours or 18 lumens for 1000 hours.

Quality ingredients for $35 total.

What's not to love? :cool:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not me.

AA doesn't provide enough juice to power the pocket rockets I like to EDC. I prefer INR 14500 or 18650.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually look to see what batteries the device takes before buying them to make sure they either have AA or AAA's. The AAA's are not good with capacity but some low drain devices it's not too bad. I prefer to have AA devices as it's easy to swap batteries around if i need them and considering LSD NiMHs are better than the standards AA is my choice of battery use. I plan on getting a Li-on flashlight but even then i am considering the norm and decently priced Li-on batteries. If you can buy them in bulk and are durable, those are the batteries i prefer using! :)

Me too and I carry/use mine with a RCR123 in it as my EDC.

I carry and use it the same way when I am travelling - except that then I always have the AA adapter in my carry-on bag and 14500/AA batteries too.

I bought the Sunwayman V11R with AA extender and it's great, but I nag myself that it is better and smaller with a CR123A and that is how I carry it.

Milo Fisher

Newly Enlightened
Yes, AA's for me. They have plenty of runtime and are more than bright enough. Also love how Eneloops have low self-discharge so don't need to worry about that either.

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
I actually went the other way.

Seeing as the LED technology was maturing, I wanted to get a light that could deliver more sustained light than my Fenix LD20 and ultimately decided to get a Nitecore SRT7 Revenger. Even though the LD20 works great as a 2xAA light (180lm for 2 hours is nothing to scoff at), most of today's high-end lights are lithium-powered. Both lithium-ion rechargeable and lithium primary batteries have much higher power and energy density than NiMH or alkaline AA batteries. With 18650s becoming mainstream (heck, even SureFire has jumped onto the bandwagon with the P1R Peacekeeper), I really see no reason not to go lithium if you need maximum runtime output or power. I carry compact USB-powered chargers for both 18650 and AA, a USB wall charger, a 12000 mAh Anker USB power pack, and sometimes a USB car charger in my EDC camera bag (Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 60 v2.0—I'm a hobbyist photographer) so I've never been far from a power source. (My SRT7 goes on my belt, while my LD20 goes in my bag as a backup.)

On the other side, 4xAA, as in the Nitecore EA41, can match 1x18650 in output and runtime with high-quality (e.g. Eneloop pro) cells. Much has changed...

—DragonLord

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's amazing that a 1xEneloop light (2014 Neutron) can now out power the majority of the 1xCR123 class, and on a 14500, can run with 2xCR123/18650s class...(in output).

unattended

Newly Enlightened
i never left aa because it´s, as someone already said, the most commonly used battery format worldwide.
nowadays i´d never use primaries except emergency situations - but with aa, i always COULD.
my edc at the moment is a 1 aa, i got an old 2 aa in the car.
but for flashaholics sake i also have 1x 18650 and 1x rcr 16340 lights for real brightness ; )

Verndog

Enlightened
Love AA's with Eneloops and always looking for good AA lights. AA and 18650 is all I run now, and since all the world runs on AA, remotes, weather stations, motion LED lights I have setup in bathrooms and hallways, mice....ect you really cant get away from them. Prob. have near 100 AA rechargeables now and these are cheap reliable cells to run. There are some great quad AA lights out that I like, Nitecore EA4 and Fenix LD41...ect that have great output and runtimes. My EDC is an Eagletac D25a, and that is a great light for emergency and EDC use.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Too many great lights being produced at present to limit myself to a AA/14500/14505 platform. Do I use and like AA lights in the real world. Yes, very much. Not at all concerned about fantasy, low light, shtf scenarios, zombies, aluminum foil and dissecting used 9 volt batteries. But those same posts help to sell flashlights and propel the lighting industry forward, and I am all for that.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have had many CR123 and 18650 lights through the years. They are great, and do perform better than the AA lights. However, the technology has improved enough in the AA format that the advantages of the other formats are fading. They will always be ahead of AA, but at some point you just don't need "more". All of my recent purchases have been AA, and I am not the least bit disappointed. My current EDC is the Eagletac D25a. The thing I like is that it takes 14500 batteries, so you can still get that lithium ion performance, but can use an AA battery in a pinch. The performance is still very respectable with an AA. That's a huge advantage over CR123. I have been caught traveling once or twice and found my battery was drained. It's not always easy to find a CR123 battery, or a cheap one at that.

I also purchased the Thrunite Neutron 2A V2. I fall short of recommending the Neutron as an EDC because of the electronic switch, but the output is VERY impressive at 800 lumens. It terms of output, it outperforms most of the CR123/18650 lights I have purchased just a few years ago, AND at a lower price. I expect to see some 800-1000 lumen 2xAA lights popping up soon as a result. In my opinion, as far as EDC goes, it doesn't get better than that. Compared to lithium ions, Eneloops are cheaper and primary AA's are much easier and cheaper to obtain.

There are some who adamantly refuse to use anything but 18650/CR123, but you can't deny that the advantages are not as pronounced as they once were. My guess is the gap will continue to close, and the 18650/CR123 format will be used solely for spotlight/search and rescue type lights in the future. The reason I say that is because the AA format appeals to the masses. That equates to more sales. 18650/CR123 is still very much a niche market. I guess time will tell if I'm right.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I was hit with the flashlight bug, all of my lights ran on AA, C, and D cells. After discovering this forum, I started buying CR123 lights, and at the time, that was the only way to get a megalumen light. technology has changed, however. I no longer use any lights with CR123's as I wanted to use all rechargeable cells in my lights. Getting them at a good price was also a bit harder, but that was really no big deal. With todays tech, and the emergence of many 2, 3, 4AA lights that put out the same amount of light and runtime as the CR123 models I used, I no longer had a need or desire to use them any more. I have a slew of rechargeable AA's and they handle most of my lighting needs or desires. I will also occasionally buy a single 18650 light. The last ones I got were a Nitecore SR7 and a Fenix UC40. I sometimes take the UC40 with me in the woods when I take wildlife photos. It is bright enough to light up dark areas under logs and trees.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As brighter lights have progressed to needing more and more power delivery, the technology has actually made the gulf between AA and good batteries that much wider apart.
To supply the kind of power needed by these 4 x 18650 lights, you would need a very large light. Even in moderate powered lights, you need three times(or more) as many AA format batteries as a similar output light using the lithium ion batteries, purely due to voltage.
It's just no comparison, even with Nimh AA. The biggest Eneloop you can get is about 2500mah @ 1.2v. The typical 18650 has 3400mah at 3.7v. It's like 4x the capacity in a similar size.
Not even a contest.

The only real reason for AA anymore is to have some battery compatibility with something like your TV remote control or your wall clock.

Last edited: