Wobblelight 40,000 Lumens Anyone have one?

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I am interested in one of the Wobblelights and wondered if anyone has heard anything about them or if someone has one? It looks like a cool light that could be used for alot of things. I was interested of course in the 400 Watt Metal Halide that states it puts out 40,000 Lumens of light. Anyone?

http://www.wobblelight.com/products.html

Last edited:

NAW

Enlightened
400W metal Halide? Man I never heard of such a thing. I thought 100W was about the highest Metal Halides are cabable of going.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Hmm... that thing looks like it's only function would be to blind you if you were somehwere in it's vicinity. I saw one like it in a local hardware store and wondered how useful it might actually be. It's too low to be of any use. When it's on, it would be glaring right in your eyes since we look at the ground to see where we're going, etc. Just my 2 cents's worth

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:drool:

I wonder if it could be modded into a spotlight with a large reflector?
At $183 it's a bargain!

It probably has some kind of weight at the bottom, this could be replaced with a large rechargeable battery.

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a 250W version at work that we having been using to backlight some translucent tanks to measure levels. It lights up a huge area but it's not blinding at all. The only disadvantage is the fairly long startup time. I usually turn the light on, go take some other measurements, and then come back once it's had time to come to full brightness.

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Hey Donshock is that the 250MH you have? Can you tell me anything else about it? Anything that somebody might not like about it? Any thoughts about getting a 400MH? Is the weight a major factor for moving it around?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, in our use at the water plant, the light just stays in one place so I can't really speak much about moving it around. It doesn't seem very heavy. It is the the metal halide version but it is the yellow case, not black as pictured on the website. I would say the 40-56 ft diameter work area is about right, maybe even a little conservative. I would say that would be for "bright" illumination, easily 2-3 times that distance for just general illumination. The only disadvantages I've noticed are really slow startup and, depending on your uses, noise from the fan that keeps it cool. The startup isn't like with a HID spotlight. After you turn it on, for the first 15 seconds or so, you think the light is broken because there is no light, just the sound of the fan. Then it starts to glow a little, kind of like a burnt out fluorescent bulb sometimes does at the end of the tube. And then it slowly ramps up to full brightness over several minutes. I've never timed it, since I'm doing other things at the time, but I would guess it's about 5 minutes in total. It's definitely not suited for when you need to light up an area quickly. But if you can take the wait, the light output is very impressive. The fan sound is not really loud, but it is a noticable low humm. Kind of like being right next to a computer fan but audible a couple feet away. As for stepping up to 400W, I can't imagine needing more than the 250W unless your trying to light up a very large yard or a huge open building. The 250W would easily light up our shop building which is 30 by 40 ft.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now thats a lantern!...

I imagine if you modded it into a flashlight, you may have heat issues?
Pointing straight up is nice for releasing heat... I know it has a fan... maybe that would suffice, but maybe not.

Very nice to see that option is out there for those who really want the lantern effect.

Illum

Flashaholic
in terms of modding...i guess if you got the material i suppose a reflector canm be bored out...but dont expect to run a 400 MH on batteries.....

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
.but dont expect to run a 400 MH on batteries.....

Thats the minor part.... Did you catch the size of that thing?
Its 36" high and 18" wide! :huh2: Wholly Molly!
And weighing in at a mere 29.00 lbs...... I wonder how much of that is the base that could be tossed?
The main issue is that there is no battery... which would add "allot" of weight to power that bad boy.. not to mention the inverter needed for 110Volts, maybe this is something Dan could play with to turn into a "real" light by getting rid of the 110V issue and replacing it with LiIon and a different ballast! 400Watts would make a nice Bazokaa! even if it was a little heavy from the batteries!

Just goes to show you, the technology itself is not that expensive.... but I can't speak for the quality, how fast it starts, its fragility or any of that....
not to mention a ballast that could take low DC volts and crank out those watts! "Twould be Dans department"

It would sure be sweet to put a reflector on that and make a flashlight.... a mere 40000 lumens!...... humm!

Dan.. what do you say, Is this possible?
Is it a practicle venture to consider, and how small could it become and what kind of weight....or am I out to lunch daydreaming again as usual? :laughing:

Illum

Flashaholic
windstrings said:
not to mention the inverter needed for 110Volts, maybe this is something Dan could play with to turn into a "real" light by getting rid of the 110V issue and replacing it with LiIon and a different ballast! 400Watts would make a nice Bazokaa! even if it was a little heavy from the batteries!

I think there would be too much loss between the transfer DC --> AC....

how much li-ion do you think might power a 400 watt for an hour? :thinking:
car sized nimh for ev vehicles might be a suggestion :crackup:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
I think there would be too much loss between the transfer DC --> AC....

how much li-ion do you think might power a 400 watt for an hour? :thinking:
car sized nimh for ev vehicles might be a suggestion :crackup:

The Xeray BB uses LiIon and can run 75 watts for one hours. So 5 times more batteries should do the job and 5 times more weight... which is not too terribly bad... If you take the battery out of the Xeray.. its about the size of a fist from a 5 year old boy... not too big, nor heavy.... you may end up with a 10lb, maybe 15lb at worst light? But you would want a strap...

The normal Xeray only weighs 5.3 lbs.

I"ve carried some pretty heavy guns an awefull long ways.... Wouldn't be any worse.

Being balanced right is a key.