Woodsaw cleaning on multitools

Retinator

Enlightened
I'm using a Leatherman Wave (old style) around the yard, and the saw is getting gummed up with sap, shavings whatnot.

I don't want to use anything that may not agree with stainless steel. I've tried scrubbing with an SOS pad, but it's a PITA (saw my hand off? naaaa)

But seriously what solution should I be using here?

northjames

Newly Enlightened
Mineral spirits and an old toothbrush, hold the tool so none of the runoff goes into the hinges.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tech a Billy said:
WD-40 usually cuts through that stuff pretty well.

I, too, get good results using WD-40 to clean saw blades. Spray on and let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes, then brush or wipe off residue.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or buy a can of carburator cleaner or brake cleaner at the auto parts store. Very nasty - and very effective - hydrocarbon solvents.
Wear safety glasses if you use it. :)

Maybe start with something first that won't damage your great-grandkids' DNA, like WD-40 or one of those "orange" cleaners, and then work your way up to the nasty stuff if necessary.

cheers

turbodog

Flashaholic
Skip the safety glasses. Wear gloves instead.

powernoodle said:
Or buy a can of carburator cleaner or brake cleaner at the auto parts store. Very nasty - and very effective - hydrocarbon solvents.
Wear safety glasses if you use it. :)

Maybe start with something first that won't damage your great-grandkids' DNA, like WD-40 or one of those "orange" cleaners, and then work your way up to the nasty stuff if necessary.

cheers

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't skip the safety glasses. Not worth the risk.

I use the generic brake cleaner a lot. Doesn't seem as flammable as carb cleaner and doesn't leave the slight oily residue. Also use the brake cleaner instead of GunScrubber. I try to avoid getting it on plastic parts although I don't know if it would harm them or not. It doesen't seem to harm composite.

Just thought of something else to try. On hand sanders, particularly with coarse grit, clogged belts or pads can be partially cleaned by running them on a piece of pvc pipe or something similar. My dad taught me that trick long ago, but he used an old tennis shoe sole.

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
I'd start with a soak in a cleaner/degreaser like "Simple Green" at full strength, and use a brass or plastic brush to get the gunk out of the teeth. I hear spray-on oven cleaner works great to clean saw blades, but I've never tried it. If that did not work I would use any light hydrocarbon (Kroil, WD-40, paint thinner, etc.) Orange oil is pretty nasty stuff and as a rule I try to avoid using it.