Words to Live By.

nbp

Flashaholic
"If a dog catches a rabbit, there was something wrong with that rabbit."

- My Grandpa to my Dad when he was little.

"If you're going get married, marry a girl that smiles a lot."

-My Grandpa to me not so long ago. One of the better pieces of dating advice I've gotten. Haha

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle (and I thought it was an original Spock quote...)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
-Arthur Conan Doyle (and I thought it was an original Spock quote...)

Elementary..

hkaz7fu.jpg

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The best way to find out the hard way is to let someone else find out the hard way" -Me

Peace Train

Enlightened
"The best way to find out the hard way is to let someone else find out the hard way" -Me

LOL I hope that wasn't directed at what I was saying to Chauncey. :) The advice was more of a direct diffusing rather than an escalation of the matter.

Of course: if you're used to being on the passive side of things, you could get another question of a different type directed at you.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL I hope that wasn't directed at what I was saying to Chauncey. :) The advice was more of a direct diffusing rather than an escalation of the matter.

Of course: if you're used to being on the passive side of things, you could get another question of a different type directed at you.

Only you know if you were asking someone else to try it for you :D Still, your post was the inspiration for that one ;) Here's another one inspired from your posts

"I love to learn from other's experience. It makes me look smart while the others look dumb. I then look even smarter in comparison"

And something I have learned myself and have said multiple times at work lately:

"People mostly only learn when they smash their face hard enough in the wall that they are bleeding. Therefore, I have stopped wasting my time and let them smash their face in the wall to wait until they actually ask me for the correct course of action. This is the one way I am sure they actually listen to what I have to say and apply my advice for themselves. It is also the only way they actually learn anything despite my best efforts."

Peace Train

Enlightened
Only you know if you were asking someone else to try it for you :D Still, your post was the inspiration for that one ;)

Haha I never suggest anything that I haven't personally and repeatedly experienced before. One of the reasons I didn't give a direct answer has to do with allowing people to come to their own conclusions. I've personally said this phrase and others many times over the years to a variety of women. (I deleted the explanation of what this phrase actually communicates to women after further contemplating what you say in the third box below...because I 100% agree that besides allowing someone to come to their own conclusions, sometimes people choose to learn the hard way. We can all make our own mistakes until each of us is ready, willing, and able to choose another path. Thanks for the reminder.)

Here's another one inspired from your posts

"I love to learn from other's experience. It makes me look smart while the others look dumb. I then look even smarter in comparison"

Ahhh, be careful my friend. That was inspired from your perception of what you think I said based upon your own life experiences, and not what was actually said nor intended. Once again, I won't share based upon conjecture, but upon my own experience.

And something I have learned myself and have said multiple times at work lately:

"People mostly only learn when they smash their face hard enough in the wall that they are bleeding. Therefore, I have stopped wasting my time and let them smash their face in the wall to wait until they actually ask me for the correct course of action. This is the one way I am sure they actually listen to what I have to say and apply my advice for themselves. It is also the only way they actually learn anything despite my best efforts."

Agreed. Point taken. Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...]

Ahhh, be careful my friend. That was inspired from your perception of what you think I said based upon your own life experiences, and not what was actually said nor intended. Once again, I won't share based upon conjecture, but upon my own experience.

I didn't base this on what you meant (I was joking anyways), but on the fact that it reminded me of moments when there's a bunch of people trying to solve a problem and someone decides to try something radical. I normally step aside (unless I'm convinced it will work or can guarantee them it won't) and see what they find out. I've gained a lot of knowledge while not being to blame for mistakes that cost time or money. Works great when someone wants to bring the hammer to a 40k$ machine and then I really look like the smarter one when they fail.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite exactly words to live by, but more of an expression I invented a couple of year back and hope to hear it make it into the global lexicon:

"You need more guts than brains to..." and complete the sentence with a situation. Example: "You need more guts than brains to even try this!" (notice the power lines in the background to get the full meaning of the expression.)