Words to Live By.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Last night at my job where asphalt paving was taking place we took a break out of the road due to an upcoming thunderstorm. I'm in my truck with some Beatles tunes going kinda quietly. Nearby under the canopy of an old abandoned gas station the crew was gathered under the shelter. A crowd of about 20 old, young, brown, black, and white were standing around having a nice time. After about an hour a fellow walks up to me with a sour puss expression and commences to elaborating on everything wrong with the world. Paul McArtney is singing quietly in the back ground "in our yellow... submarine".... as the guy just kept on and on and on...

I say to the guy "you know what I think of all that?" And at that moment cranked up the volume knob... next thing you know 20 old, young, brown, black and white people are singing at the top of their lungs "WE ALL LIVE IN A YELLOW SUBMARINE... A YELLOW SUBMARINE.. A YELLOW SUBMARINE"
Man, it was priceless.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
"What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

Monocrom

Flashaholic
On a more light-hearted note:

"Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today. Because if you do it today, and you like it, you can do it again tomorrow!" - Benny Hill

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

"If I don't have to think about it, it's working properly"

-me

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sometimes you meet your destiny on the road you took trying to avoid it.
- a line in the movie "International"

I have a neighbor who used run bike and swim to stay in shape and fight off father time. He ate nothing but healthy foods and avoided stress as much as possible.
Before that he used to drink, smoke pot, eat too much ice cream and worked at the post office.

Last year he nearly bled to death when a fish bone sliced his esophogus. His knees and ankles had begun to fail as well. He spent months in recovery while his esophogus healed, then months of physical therapy on his lower body. Shortly after he lost his cushey job of 20+ years.

Basically as he tried to travel down the road to a happy, healthy life his health food nearly killed him and his body began to give out.

A year later he now enjoys an occasional bowl of ice cream or an occasional beer knowing that "destiny found him on the road he took to avoid it". And he happily works at the post office again. lol.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
A year later he now enjoys an occasional bowl of ice cream or an occasional beer knowing that "destiny found him on the road he took to avoid it". And he happily works at the post office again. lol.

Wow. That's like quitting smoking and then getting run over by a beer truck. Glad he's better now.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wow. That's like quitting smoking and then getting run over by a beer truck. Glad he's better now.

+1 on him doing better.

This story reminds me of the fitness guru Jim Fixx. Remember him? Very healthy lifestyle. Huge proponent of running.... Died of a Heart attack while out jogging one day. Comedian Denis Leary even came up with a stand-up routine about the tragic incident many years ago. Remember comedian John Candy? Fat and loveable.... One day he decides he needs to be healthier. Okay, good idea. He went from being Fat Albert sized to Kate Moss sized WAY too quickly. His body literally couldn't take the stress of the sudden, major weight-loss, and he died as a result.

You could be the sickest heath nut in the world. Step off the curb one day, get run over by a Millennial busy texting while driving as he tells a friend how vinyl is sooo much better than streaming music, and how he ate a hot-dog on the 4th of July in an ironic way. :rolleyes:

Enjoy that beer, enjoy the company of your lady-friend because you might be dead next month, next week, or tomorrow. Hell, you might drop dead 5 minutes from now. If that's the case, why not have that beer in one hand and that lady-friend in the other. She'll likely be horrified, but she'll get over it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I told a young engineer the other night (while he ate his super healthy salad and drank some kind of 'fountain of youth' miracle drink).... "live a little kid, statistics show cigarette smokers outlive marathon runners and pro football players". He says "how come?" And I said "dude you are born with X number of heart beats. Marathon runners and pro football players squander theirs running all the time, cigarette smokers can't breath so they sit around a lot".

About that time a coworker walks up, pops open the tail gate of my truck, plops down on it, lights a cigarette and says "whatchyall talking about?"...
The kid says "hmmmm... I see what you mean"

So my words to live by are "you only have a limited amount of heart beats then it's game over". "Trouble with being dead; it lasts so long"...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Yup.
Here's to streets of gold CG.

Today my project supervisor says at 3 in the afternoon "man this global warming thing... it's 92 degrees out here"

I said "it's July.... in Virginia.. it happens" then I quipped "yup thanks to global warming the leaves on trees will turn bright colors then fall off in October"... being a family friendly site I cannot state his response, but will say that I heard more foul words in one sentence than ever before. To which I replied "dude you just set a record for the most bad words used in a sentence"... he broke his record with his next reply...

Words to live by?
While you sweat this summer just remember how cold you'll be this winter.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm looking forward to the cold. I'm THAT guy.... The one who owns multiple winter coats for the two days out of the year it gets even too cold for me. Smokers outside, huddled together for warmth, shivering almost uncontrollably; as I pass by and say "Hello" with just a T-shirt on.

(Okay, I'm also wearing pants and shoes. I'm not that guy who walks around with just a t-shirt on.) :thumbsup: