World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, these are cool!

Does the inactive "order page" correctly reflect options we may be able to choose from when you begin taking orders? ie. carbon fiber bezel will be available?

Thanks!
No that is for the Enthusiast model which is no longer in production. I am very slowly learning how change stuff on the site and have not made it to that page yet. The FTP does not have all the options that the Enthusiast model did. That is part of what has helped me to get the price so low compared to the old one.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
Just opened up the box containing my DEFT FTP.....

THIS THING RULES :rock::bow:

I have bought a few pocketable, halfway decent throwers, but the DEFT blows them out of the water. I've never owned anything of this caliber that didn't plug into a cigarette lighter. The DEFT is truly a masterpiece.

The "company name" pretty much sums it up..... OMG, LUMENS!!!!

Nice, nice work! :twothumbs

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
How about a few glamor shots of the DEFT? :naughty:

4369155355_eee48e4ee3_b.jpg

4369155457_5956541b13_b.jpg

etherealshade

Enlightened
I just got a chance to fire up my Deft a little while ago. I've never had a dedicated thrower before, but I nearly dropped the light in shock when I saw how bright and throwy it was. I'm in central London, so between light pollution and lack of open space, I can't really properly stretch the Deft's legs. :thumbsdow

However, I pointed it at a building perhaps 100 yards away where I could barely make out the light from a SMO Deree Q5 pill. The amount of light it threw on the side of the building was absolutely phenomenal. :eek: :bow: :rock: I've never seen the like of it in such a small, long running package. I must say, I'm completely satisfied in every way. I can't wait to get a chance to get out in the countryside and really put the Deft through it's paces.

Three cheers to Michael for an absolutely fantastic bit of work. :twothumbs

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster....I was reading your comments about the gain realized of 60% with a pre-collimator...would it be possible then to build a smaller aspherical of A-9/Dereelight size (50mm) that would up the lux from 65,000-70,000 into the 110,000 range? Maybe 130,000 running a hot-rodded R2? An A9 will carry easily in a large pocket...the DEFT-FTP will not. A single 18650 with 2+ hours of run time is plenty. Have you considered a DEFT-Mini? If so...Can I be first on your list for one?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster....I was reading your comments about the gain realized of 60% with a pre-collimator...would it be possible then to build a smaller aspherical of A-9/Dereelight size (50mm) that would up the lux from 65,000-70,000 into the 110,000 range? Maybe 130,000 running a hot-rodded R2? An A9 will carry easily in a large pocket...the DEFT-FTP will not. A single 18650 with 2+ hours of run time is plenty. Have you considered a DEFT-Mini? If so...Can I be first on your list for one?
Well it doesn't scale quite like that from a lux perspective. The 60% boost I spoke of was in total light throughput not the lux values. It does also increase the lux some but the main benefit is a larger field of view and less chromatic aberration. A mini DEFT is certainly a possibility. I won't do it unless I can beat the DBS aspherical though. I'm fairly sure I can do that but time and money are in short supply so we shall see.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly understand production constraints in a business. Just an idea that may be marketable to a crowd who would be happy with less Lux for a more pocketable package. So hows the current run coming along? I'm on your list now. Hope I'm not too far down.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
After how blown away I am by the the full sized DEFT, I would buy a mini DEFT in a heartbeat, sight unseen with no specs. I trust you to create an awesome light :D:paypal:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly understand production constraints in a business. Just an idea that may be marketable to a crowd who would be happy with less Lux for a more pocketable package. So hows the current run coming along? I'm on your list now. Hope I'm not too far down.
We will have a few ready this week. I am extremely busy though as I am working on a public talk in the Russian language and it takes me a lot of time since I am not fluent yet. Just keep in mind that the sale is now a first come first served affair. By that I mean that when I release a new batch it will be down to who contacts me first. Contacting me now does not count. Wait until the word go.;)

After how blown away I am by the the full sized DEFT, I would buy a mini DEFT in a heartbeat, sight unseen with no specs. I trust you to create an awesome light :D:paypal:
Thanks.:thumbsup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
will the sales link start working on your website? Or "Ill take one" on CPF is the order?
No the sales link will remain inactive. Once I say the word go all orders will be received via email. The time stamp on that email will decide order. Further instructions will then be given.
will you let us know by emailing people on your contact list? Or post it on CPF?
Yes an email will be sent to those on the contact list advising them of the availability. This will also be posted on CPF.

ArmyMedicDad

Newly Enlightened
By that I mean that when I release a new batch it will be down to who contacts me first. Contacting me now does not count. Wait until the word go.;)
Please don't take this wrong, but that sounds like you are trying to run a game show instead of a professional company - "be the ninth caller to win tickets".

jblackwood

Enlightened
Please don't take this wrong, but that sounds like you are trying to run a game show instead of a professional company - "be the ninth caller to win tickets".

It's the way things are done here. Look around a little more before you start tossing potentially damaging metaphors. Michael's lights are simply the LEAST expensive custom lights that are out there. He's kind of cornered the market on affordable, custom lights that are sure to wow anyone who sees them, in the case of the DEFT, that means anyone who's in a half mile radius!

At the advice of some of us, he's running the sale the same way that CPF legends Data (Cool Fall) and Don Mcleish (McGizmo) do. Check out their threads and see if you still have complaints since their lights run at $400 and above. Not that their lights aren't worth it either. This thread seems to attract a large number of people new to this forum. I can only assume it's because Michael has priced his DEFT affordably . . . you know, for the people=FTP.

My advice to you, "dad," is to just subscribe to the thread, ask Michael to add you to the notify list (you probably can't PM yet so just post it here on the thread and see if he'll accommodate you), and make sure you get email and/or updates on your phone. That's how I snatched up my second DEFT. The alternative is waiting 6-8 months for your turn to pay and then another 2-3 months until your light is ready. Frankly, this way is much better.

Like I said, just look around Data's (Cool Fall) and Don's (McGizmo) forums.

EDIT: Am I the only one who hates it when people say "please don't take this [the wrong way]?" What exactly is the "wrong way," in this case, "dad?" Not to be confrontational (well, ok, maybe just a bit), but the only way this comparison wouldn't be insulting is if saabluster were either an aspiring game show host, DJ, or other carnival barker, or if he were a former one who wouldn't mind the comparison. If you're going to insult someone, don't say things like "I'm just saying," "promise you won't be mad," or "don't take this the wrong way."

I can actually count on one hand the amount of times someone has said "don't take this the wrong way," and there actually WAS more than one way to take what followed.

Last edited:

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
The alternative is waiting 6-8 months for your turn to pay and then another 2-3 months until your light is ready. Frankly, this way is much better.

Like I said, just look around Data's (Cool Fall) and Don's (McGizmo) forums.

EDIT: Am I the only one who hates it when people say "please don't take this [the wrong way]?"
+1

Also, check out the enthusiast version's threads...would you rather Michael keep an accurate waiting list of 30+ people's various options, or have that time to devote to making lights [or to his family!]? I was lucky enough to get one of the last enthusiast spots, and even though I knew it was coming, I still didn't enjoy the following wait. I also got one of the FTP models that was ready to ship when Michael asked for takers; trust me, 1st come 1st served is a much easier approach for everyone on this. Please be patient and respectful; as JB mentioned, some things can only be taken one way.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

Also, check out the enthusiast version's threads...would you rather Michael keep an accurate waiting list of 30+ people's various options, or have that time to devote to making lights [or to his family!]? I was lucky enough to get one of the last enthusiast spots, and even though I knew it was coming, I still didn't enjoy the following wait. I also got one of the FTP models that was ready to ship when Michael asked for takers; trust me, 1st come 1st served is a much easier approach for everyone on this. Please be patient and respectful; as JB mentioned, some things can only be taken one way.
I agree this is a much better way to sell them. I think the most important thing for a new comer to the forums to do is "read more and post less". I was a lurker her for a long time before I joined. I still do more lurking and reading than I do posting. One of the biggest mistakes I see from noobs is they dont take the time to see how the community here works.

As far as Michael and the DEFT-FTP, DEFT Enthusiast, or OMG Lumens go....he is a stand up guy, offering one of a kind products and in my opinion he doesnt charge enough for his custom lights.

Latest posts