World's Smallest Plasma Globe

MoonDragn

Newly Enlightened
Well I got my replacement globe from autozone and it works finally! Cool little toy but still too big for what I want to use it for.

I did some reading and realized one really simple fact. Most lightbulbs are filled with argon and we can easily use a normal lightbulb.

The question is how much argon is in the thing and will it work on the small christmas tree sized lightbulbs?

Vashra

Newly Enlightened
This little ball of glowy goodness was so cool I had to register just to ask about it.

Given that it's originally designed to go into a car power socket, is it set for 12-15v DC or does it have a tiny transformer stepping down the current to say 6v or so?

I'm curious because I have a 3.5 inch one that operates off 4AA batteries and it's set for 6v (1.5v for each battery and they're wired in series).

ActorTom

Newly Enlightened
I want to thank the original poster for this thread. I used this device to replace the Palantir on my Lord of The Rings Pinball Game. The original Palantir was a ball of Lucite, with a VERY UGLY screw in the middle to support it.
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/4858/image-12.jpg

I replaced this eyesore with the cool plasma ball you found. Here's a video of the ball installed in the game...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkimnBunefo&feature=youtu.be

I found your post when looking for a small plasma globe, and your picture of this item deconstructed convinced me that this mod would be possible. The machine's manufacturer actually provides a spare 12 volt DC power supply through a Molex connector, so it was easy to provide the required power.

You knew something cool could be done with this, and you were right. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!

TheAtomicSoul

Newly Enlightened
If I might ask where did you purchase it from? I've searched but can't seem to find them anywhere!

I want to thank the original poster for this thread. I used this device to replace the Palantir on my Lord of The Rings Pinball Game.
I replaced this eyesore with the cool plasma ball you found. Here's a video of the ball installed in the game...
I found your post when looking for a small plasma globe, and your picture of this item deconstructed convinced me that this mod would be possible.

ActorTom

Newly Enlightened
If I might ask where did you purchase it from? I've searched but can't seem to find them anywhere!
The place I ordered them from no longer carries them. I don't remember their name. I had placed an order for another, and after 6 weeks they cancelled my order and refunded my money. I read in some other forum that they weren't very reliable, and often stopped working after a few weeks, as did mine.

ActorTom

Newly Enlightened
I Just found a slightly different version that looks even better for the pinball mod. Since the transformer is enclosed in a nice case on a long wire, all you have to do is cut off the cigarette lighter plug, add a 3-pin Molex connector, and connect it to the 3-pin Stern provides with 12 volts by the coin door. If you already have a topper or other mod plugged into that connector, either Pinball Life or Marco Specialties (I forget which) sells a splitter.

ActorTom

Newly Enlightened
I Just found a slightly different version that looks even better for the pinball mod. Since the transformer is enclosed in a nice case on a long wire, all you have to do is cut off the cigarette lighter plug, add a 3-pin Molex connector, and connect it to the 3-pin Stern provides with 12 volts by the coin door. If you already have a topper or other mod plugged into that connector, either Pinball Life or Marco Specialties (I forget which) sells a splitter.
I forget to provide the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121291309136?lpid=82