Would You TRUST a TrustFire 18650 after watching this video?

V8Mondo

Newly Enlightened
This guy on Youtube overcharged a Trustfire 18650 battery. It sat around for a while on his desk..then one day it just exploded.

He was using the other one attached by wires to an MP3 player which he carried around in his pocket close to his proverbials...Ouch!

So he decides to take it apart to see if it actually had any protection circuitry inside...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtAR1Jmquk

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't have trusted it before the video - but it certainly doesn't help!

Friends don't let friends use cheap Li-Ions. Always buy quality!

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man what on earth is he doing sawing through an active Li-ion cell like that. Terribly dangerous! :eek:

Also did he really need to start sawing at the battery to determine that there was no protection circuit? :sick2: Just check for a PCB and nickel tabbing wire running from the bottom to the top of the cell. :thinking:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
He sounds like one of the guys that gives LiIon a bad name. His last comments was that he would start using a descent charger, instead of rely on the protection circuit when charging :thumbsdow

And as Jason says, you do not need to saw open a protection battery to see the protection, it is hidden under the wrapper and is not part of the metal can (Expect the pressure fuse and PTC).

I have written a small article about this.

Shadowww

Banned
I don't have a problem trusting genuine TrustFire 18650 battery, both 2400mAh and 3000mAh ones.
I do have problems trusting fake batteries off eBay with TrustFire wrapper on them, though.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I wouldn't normally trust any XXXfire brands, but irreguardless this guy is nuts! Using a hacksaw on a li-ion battery? I was just waiting to see the cell catch on fire in front of him.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a problem trusting genuine TrustFire 18650 battery, both 2400mAh and 3000mAh ones.
I do have problems trusting fake batteries off eBay with TrustFire wrapper on them, though.

I dont want to play that lottery... I preffer go for the sure... :)

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

asval

Newly Enlightened
He sounds like one of the guys that gives LiIon a bad name. His last comments was that he would start using a descent charger, instead of rely on the protection circuit when charging :thumbsdow

Isn't that a safer way than using protected cells? I mean with the protected cells the circuitry can fail due to mishandling of the cell in shipping, getting tossed around or the spring on the light damaging the PCB. Without the protection the only thing that can fail is you, as long as you use a voltmeter to check them and don't use them in multi-cell lights.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Isn't that a safer way than using protected cells? I mean with the protected cells the circuitry can fail due to mishandling of the cell in shipping, getting tossed around or the spring on the light damaging the PCB. Without the protection the only thing that can fail is you, as long as you use a voltmeter to check them and don't use them in multi-cell lights.

The problem is not he will use a real charger, but that he was relaying on the protection before, especially on a battery without protection.
Protections are generally very reliable, but you do not use them to control the charging on a LiIon battery.

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
It's pretty obvious if a cell has a protection PCB on it; you can see it on the bottom of the battery (you'll see an indent in the battery), and you can see the positive lead leading to it running down the side of the battery beneath the wrapper. Charging them the way he did is crazy too. The surprising thing though is that it sat for a couple of months before VWF, I'd have expected that to happen right away. Why he kept it around after knowing he ruined they battery, who knows...

Edit: should have read the page linked to above first; very well done,

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
When replying to this thread stick to the facts and avoid personal attacks on Marc Griffith the originator of this video - Norm

Last edited:

naiter

Newly Enlightened
i went back and looked again, didn't see the PCB on the bottom... but it could've been there anyways. highly doubt it didn't have one. unless it was a fake

Last edited:

Verndog

Enlightened
There is something about the name "Trustfire" in the hands of a guy named "RCHacker" that has "Trouble" written all over it. Anyone crazy enough to hacksaw into a cell who's brother just blew up deserved to be called a hack.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it also a bad idea to put a hot soldering iron on either end of one of these cells?? :thinking: