WOW! Dell is very expensive!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm a bit confused. Are you interested in getting a Dell and asking for opinions?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, I just saw today at Wal*Mart a complete desktop DELL w/19" LCD monitor for $498.00. Don't know the specs but still. . .

I got friends who are Mac users and always say to "get a Mac." Funny thing is how come they had to replace their Macs? One even replacing his PowerG-ForceBook (whatever they're called) three (3) times! ? ! ? ! ? Hmmm. . .

gorn

Enlightened
Well, I just saw today at Wal*Mart a complete desktop DELL w/19" LCD monitor for $498.00. Don't know the specs but still. . .

I got friends who are Mac users and always say to "get a Mac." Funny thing is how come they had to replace their Macs? One even replacing his PowerG-ForceBook (whatever they're called) three (3) times! ? ! ? ! ? Hmmm. . .

I've owned 3 high end Dell laptops, including 2 XPS m170's. Every Dell i've owned has had to be replaced under waranty. And this current m170 which shows under warranty still, and Dell won't honor it has had to have me put a new DVD drive in it.

I Will never spend another penny at Dell, I have experinced the worst customer service from them than with any other company I have dealt with.

Now the Mac cheerleaders will tell me to get a mac. I don't want a mac. They are great computers but I dislike the "monopoly" feel of Apple.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With regards to Dell. I know a couple of computer savy folks who have told me the same thing....

Business applications = Great! Absolutely great.

As a home comp or Personal use = Terrible, unless you only plan to use it for exploring the internet.

Grumpy

Enlightened
I have a Dell xpx 17" laptop. It is approx. 2 years old and I have not had a problem with it. It is the first laptop that I have owned. Before I purchased it, I thought that I would not like a notebook computer very well. I like it alot. It is basically a desktop replacement. I paid alot for it though. $2650 on ebay (It was new). It would have cost $500 more at the time if I had purchased it new from dell. I don't know how well their customer service is however.

What are some of your opinions of Dell vs Sony customer service for their computers?

I ask because these are the two brands I like the best for laptop computers and would like to know which company you think has the best customer support?

Thanks

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
But you don't mind the "monopoly feel" of Microsoft?!

Microsoft can be a PITA to deal with, but Microsoft is no where near as bad as dealing with Apple, in my experience.

I've used plenty of Apples over the years at work, and some of them were great machines. But, I never bought one for myself because I never wanted to have to deal with Apple.

Same thing with Dell. I'd never buy a Dell for myself, simply because Dell is such a PITA to deal with. Also, I still harbor a major grudge against Dell for using non-standard PS connectors on their motherboards. Think they've stopped doing that, but it still pisses me off years later.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
My next notebook will be a dell. I have a "home made" P4 desktop that keeps breaking on me and I current;y use a HP notebook with an AMD and it's alright.

My desktop and notbook at work are Dell's and they are way better! Battery life, speed and screen win on the Dell laptop. And well, anything beats my dead home made job :lolsign:

I know price and use are considerations but, I'm going ot give them a try!

carrot

Flashaholic
Funny... In all my dealings with Apple they have been good experiences. Most of the faults were user-induced, too.

I used to recommend Thinkpads but with the new direction Lenovo seems to be taking I'm not so sure. I've always thought Asus and Fujitsu made nice laptops, though.

knot

Banned
Now the Mac cheerleaders will tell me to get a mac. I don't want a mac. They are great computers but I dislike the "monopoly" feel of Apple.

Exactly, talk about proprietary design.

I built my own desktop computer. I have no need or desire to take a computer with me. I'm already online too much.

WhatMACHI

Newly Enlightened
$9000 for a laptop?!? That thing better cook, clean and do the laundry.

I really dont see the point in a laptop of that power or cost (unless your have money to throw around. Laptops tend to on-the-go use, or just use at home (in which case you could get a $9000 desktop which will blow your pants off).