• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: MM sandwich

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to buy a MadMax sandwich with a Seoul LED for a miniminimag host I'll be getting. I'll also need a 17mm reflector since I don't think the host was bored out for a 20mm.

It will be running off an AA battery.

I'm hoping to find one with a nice Seoul LED :grin2: :thanks:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't aware that anything besides a Luxeon will fit on a sandwich. Has anyone actually made one with a Seoul?

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
Yup, I made a sammie with a Madmax plus and SSC USWOI emitter. I'm sure others have as well, it's essentially the same as making one with a lux. I am currently using it in my minimag with an IMS20 reflector. The base of the emitter is a little wider than a luxeon, but it still fits between the contact posts. Just make sure you leave just enough epoxy to electrically insulate the base of the emitter from the emitter board. btw: my minimags are not bored out for the 20mm reflector - I just filed & sanded the outside of the reflector body, mostly around the bulge near the bezel end, till it fit. Takes time, but it's possible.

I'm really pleased with the result, practically comparable to a 6P with a P60 LA with over 2hrs of runtime on NiMHs. I imagine a Madmax Lite or BBNexgen400 with an SSC would be a nice combo as well - bright with a long runtime. Sorry for the tease BugLightGeek but I'm not ready to part with mine yet. :eek:

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minjin said:
...Has anyone actually made one with a Seoul?

Yep, made several DB's, BB's, Wiz2's with Seoul, and also made some FluPIC's using Seouls. Basically, anything that uses a Luxeon can be made to work with Seoul. The only gotch is that you must insulate the slug from the ground of heat sink.

cy

Flashaholic
I've got a MM sammie available with luxeon. should be too much trouble to change out to P4. but it may draw too much current.

vf affects amount of current delivered with MM. P4's vf is much lower than any luxeon.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will it run alright or will you need to add a resistor?
I plan on running it in a miniminimag off (most likely) just a regular AA.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a single AA with a madmax and low VF seoul shouldn't matter. In fact lower VF means more current into the P4 since the MM can only supply so much wattage out, the lower the VF, the more of that wattage out is current.

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
I agree with IsaacHayes. The Vf range of an H or I bin SSC is very similar to an H or J luxeon. As I recall the SSC on my sammie is getting between 550 to 600mA on a freshly charged pair of AA NiMHs so it should be o.k. If BugLightGeek runs it on a single AA (and not a 14500) the emitter would see even less because the MM+ would be drawing a constant 1A from the batteries in both cases so he should be o.k.

BugLightGeek, I'd like to help you out but work and other commitments are keeping me pretty busy at the moment... it would be a while before I could make one for you. Sorry...

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not a sandwiche but my CMG has a Cree XR-E running off a MadMax Lite (Link in my sigline)
I power it with a 14500 Li-Ion but it will run on a AA withreduced output.
Works great as a flood for walking or looking around in the dark car.
Get the Madmax Plus if you want to focus in a MiniMiniMag and get more lux.

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
Nein - that's a nice work. Looks like modding CMG's can be quite a challenge. When I tried a 14500 with my sammie it was drawing over 1A on a fresh charge so I figured I'd play it safe - my 2AA is my favourite worklight anyway. I have noticed that the SSC sammie does not seem to generate as much heat the luxeon sandwiches. Presumably because the SSC is more efficient and more of the energy is used to produce light vs. heat (?).