• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB V10r Ti Torch with kuku Switch Trits and clip

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTB V10r / 18550 or 18650 Ti kuku switch with trits

I stand corrected. And I prefer Kuku's switch as well.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

They do look similar. I'm eager to get both the Ti and the Ti² & measure out each button.

exquzmwa

Enlightened

Hi Kain - since Mohanjude already asked, I don't think this would be hi-jacking the thread (something I don't want to do, so if anyone feels I am I will edit this out...). What your modder did is awesome. Would you please share with us who it was. Also one other question - did they need to drill through any of the threads where the lens cover cap screws on the head to allow the trits to be installed?

Tain

Enlightened

I am sorry, the modder would like to remain anonymous. I think precisionworks can do the cooling fin modding for you.

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened

That's completely understandable. One question though, is the knurled tube for 123's or 18500's or something different?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Re: WTB V10r Ti kuku complete Torch with Trits and Kuku clip / 18500 or 18650 tubes

the modder would like to remain anonymous. I think precisionworks can do the cooling fin modding for you.
I'd be glad to do that for anyone here. Please contact me through my website link.

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened
Re: WTB V10r Ti kuku complete Torch with Trits and Kuku clip / 18500 or 18650 tubes

Email sent.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

My V10R ti is going to Barry tommorrow to have the fins drilled for the trits and McGizmo clip holes to be drilled and tapped.

rockingthe2

Newly Enlightened

Pics when you get it back!

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

yep will take pics of the modded torch..

precisionworks

Flashaholic

McGizmo clip holes to be drilled and tapped
My V10R Ti is headed this way from Hong Kong & a McG pocket clip, trit switch cover & head fin trits are the first items on the to do list :) There isn't a better pocket clip available than the McG (IMO) for holding shape & retaining tension. Ti 6-4 is the material Don uses for his clip & Ti 6-4 has long been used in critical spring applications like aircraft springs.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you arevgoing to have trial run on your torch first ?:)

Just kidding - I am sure you have worked out what precisely needs to be done. Torch was posted this morning with the locally sourced 2mm x 6mm trits which are slightly larger than Barts trits (1.5mm x5mm).

In fact Barts trits turned up this lunch time. Had to email Bart regarding the order which I am sure will be sorted out in due course.

Anybody got on any other ideas on trits installation ?

precisionworks

Flashaholic

you are going to have trial run on your torch first ?:)

Absolutely, I try never to work on anyone's light unless I've proved out the entire process from start to finish. On a difficult job like this there is zero room for error - I can afford to mess up on my light but cannot afford to do that on yours.

2x6mm is the size I'm planning for. This machining is termed "interrupted drilling" because the drill starts cutting in solid material, breaks out into an air space, goes back into solid, etc. If the drill bit is going to snap it will happen at one of the break outs into air.

A 2mm hole is as small as I want to drill in this manner & any smaller would be very difficult. Here's a photo of the tool & I bought three of these to get through the first six lights :(

980f6ed6.jpg

03c16e63.jpg

got on any other ideas on trits installation ?

The conventional way to install trits on any light is slotting & the price runs about 15% less. It looks like there's room for 1.5x5mm vials in this area:

c91ab2c4.jpg

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bump.... Anybody got a Gavina 123 with Trits... And switch ?

precisionworks

Flashaholic

Torch was posted this morning with the locally sourced 2mm x 6mm trits which are slightly larger than Barts trits (1.5mm x5mm).
It arrived safely yesterday :)

I don't believe there's any way to make the 1.5x5mm work as the distance between the thick areas on either side of the fins is just over 5mm. There's no way to secure the vial after insertion into the hole. 2x8mm aren't workable either as the marked up photo shows - they extend past the rear of the finned area. 2x6mm is the best size so far ... unless someone can source a 2.5x6mm or a 3x6mm.

fc268154.jpg

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how the Machinist who did the work for Tain managed it.
Maybe you can drill the holes just to go from the base (thick) to half way into the top fin (where your x is). That way the tritium will start from the thick area next the mag ring, pierce through 1st fin and stop half way on 2nd fin.

Mohan

precisionworks

Flashaholic

From what I can see there aren't many options for drilling the holes. The holes have to start on the mag ring side because there are external threads on the head side that do not allow drill point access. By drilling from the mag ring side & drilling through both fins the end of the vial is stopped by the thick section behind the head. A small section of the vial remains in the thick section on the mag ring side.

Clear as mud :nana:

Tain's photo shows three sections of the vial exposed & that indicates that both fins are drilled through.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why dont we use the supplied 2 x 6mm tritium vials and drill the thick section near the mag, through the 1st and 2nd fin and use the adhesive which I am sure will take care of the trit vial as per your picture

Mohan
It arrived safely yesterday :)

I don't believe there's any way to make the 1.5x5mm work as the distance between the thick areas on either side of the fins is just over 5mm. There's no way to secure the vial after insertion into the hole. 2x8mm aren't workable either as the marked up photo shows - they extend past the rear of the finned area. 2x6mm is the best size so far ... unless someone can source a 2.5x6mm or a 3x6mm.

fc268154.jpg

precisionworks

Flashaholic

use the supplied 2 x 6mm tritium vials and drill the thick section near the mag, through the 1st and 2nd fin and use the adhesive which I am sure will take care of the trit vial as per your picture
You are reading my mind :)

Thinking about making a titanium piece to replace the finned section of the V10R & milling conventional trit slots, probably 6 or 12. Not sure if there would be much interest in that as the fins give the light a look like no other.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

How are you getting on my with the cooling fins? Regarding your suggestion of making a titanium piece to replace the finned section of the V10R - this is what Steve is proposing to do. Maybe you can do something similar but slightly different - perhaps have the cooling fins with the 12 trit slots drilled and some funky mod to the fins to make it stand out?