• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: P60 Drop in Light Engine

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 Dropn Ins All Copper Bonded PCBs even XP-G2s2

These does not mention what the output voltage is so I assume it's probably 4.2V for the typical LED.

I think the output voltage is the same as the input voltage.

I'm gleaning some information from a discussion here: http://www.instructables.com/answers/Does-an-LED-driver-rated-6v-12v-holdkeep-a-so/

Quoting:
"The driver was obtained from Kaidomain.com

" -15V, 9A Circuit Driver for Bike Light Features:
- Input voltage :6-15V
- Output current:9A
- Single Mode only

...Each one gave a MM read of 8.4v @ the LED leads (same as source voltage)"

If true then LED killing voltage is the same.

Also:
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Make-Led-Driver-for-Laser-or-Led-Diode/

And:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-simple-high-power-LED-driver/

5A 1.2V - 32V regulator:
http://www.futurlec.com/Linear/LM338Tpr.shtml

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MT-G2 is rated at a maximum of 3A 6V. Is 6A killing the LED seen in earlier posts or is it voltage?

There's a 2A 9V version of the MT-G2, what about feeding it 7.4V and over driving the current to say, 4A? Would be easier to manage current instead of voltage.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MT-G2 is rated at a maximum of 3A 6V. Is 6A killing the LED seen in earlier posts?

There's a 2A 9V version of the MT-G2, what about feeding it 7.4V and over driving the current to say, 4A?

It doesn't work like that. LED's current requirements are based on the voltage.

"The voltage versus current characteristics of an LED are much like any diode. Current is approximately an exponential function of voltage according to the Shockley diode equation, so a small voltage change may result in a large change in current. If the voltage is below the threshold or on-voltage no current will flow and the result is an unlit LED. If the voltage is too high the current will go above the maximum rating, heating and potentially destroying the LED."

If you feed the 9V MT-G2, 7.4V it will not even light up, as the voltage is below the Vf. The only way to make it draw 4A is to drive the voltage up higher than 9V. If it's a 2A emitter, then 10+V @ 4A will likely destroy it.

As far as the first question - probably. If you drive the 6V emitter at 8V (what you'd see from 2xIMR in series under load) then you're pushing it very hard indeed. If you drive it from 2xICR cells, then it's probably seeing low 7's under load, and the current would be 4-5A and likely within the overdrive range of the emitter.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic

The MT-G2 is rated at a maximum of 3A 6V. Is 6A killing the LED seen in earlier posts or is it voltage?

There's a 2A 9V version of the MT-G2, what about feeding it 7.4V and over driving the current to say, 4A? Would be easier to manage current instead of voltage.

It needs a combination of 18 Watts (voltage X amps)
Presumably exceeding that will result in overdriving it.
In Direct Drive, the MT-G2 draws either too much, just the right amount or too little depending on the batteries used, as there is no regulation hence no control.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^ gotcha.

mvyrmnd, good info thanks :thumbsup:

vinhnguyen54, shouldn't you be sleeping? :D

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good. I feel better. Should be less problems with two IMR 16340's. Will be using Efest 700mAh IMR's. Was texascop's dropin that went :poof: copper sinked? or was it aluminum?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Good. I feel better. Should be less problems with two IMR 16340's. Will be using Efest 700mAh IMR's. Was texascop's dropin that went :poof: copper sinked? or was it aluminum?

Got three dead MTG2 so far. All was ran with IMR18350 and on aluminum PCB. Copper sinkpad cost $20 more ...

texas cop

Enlightened

Got three dead MTG2 so far. All was ran with IMR18350 and on aluminum PCB. Copper sinkpad cost $20 more ...

If copper sinkpad is an option I'll pay the extra $20 happily. We do need a good battery combo list.

LAB

Newly Enlightened

When I burned up my first MT-G2, it happened almost immediately after I turned it on with IMR 18650's in it. It didn't even have time to get hot yet. So I suggest not using IMR's at all. In my second one, I run AW 2600mah 18650's.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 Dropn Ins All Copper Bonded PCBs even XP-G2s, MT-G2 ;-)

When I burned up my first MT-G2, it happened almost immediately after I turned it on with IMR 18650's in it. It didn't even have time to get hot yet. So I suggest not using IMR's at all. In my second one, I run AW 2600mah 18650's.

It got very hot - too quickly for the heat to be transferred to the body - hence the failure.

DD with IMR's might be possible when it's on copper - but someone's going to have to take the punt and try it.

LAB

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 Dropn Ins All Copper Bonded PCBs even XP-G2s, MT-G2 ;-)

It kept shinng, it just had a large dark spot in the beam. It still works. I just don't like the beam now. When I look at the LED there is no discernable difference from my other one.

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 Dropn Ins All Copper Bonded PCBs even XP-G2s, MT-G2 ;-)

I think vin indicates two IMR 16340's are OK.

Anyone chime in as to how hot a SureFire C2 host gets for a given duration? Say after 30 seconds, 1 min, 1 min 30 sec (if that's even possible)

Last edited:

LAB

Newly Enlightened

I have gone 9 minutes + continus run time in my solarforce host.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have gone 9 minutes + continus run time in my solarforce host.

MT-G2 blazing full power for 9 min? :confused: The head assembly must have been searing hot.

What batteries? (already assuming 2X18650)

veedo

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the drop ins vin! The CPF marketplace is in the crapper again so I haven't been able to respond. The xpe2 is awesome!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Totally agree ^

So far both the copper and aluminum sinkpad runs great fien with protected NCR2900 18650 and IMR16340. I really do think the Copper sink pad heta sink better as it heat sink better for every LED I know. It takes more work for the copper bonding so there is a $20 price increase. :)

My Driver is not great yet. I am playing with resistors LOL

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the drop ins vin! The CPF marketplace is in the crapper again so I haven't been able to respond. The xpe2 is awesome!

:)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

It kept shinng, it just had a large dark spot in the beam. It still works. I just don't like the beam now. When I look at the LED there is no discernable difference from my other one.

have I replaced yoru broken one yet? If yes is the 2nd one dying too?