• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: P60 Drop in Light Engine

LAB

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 D26 P60 Dropn Ins All Copper Bonded PCBs even XP-G2s2

I got my MT-G2 dropin today. Second one so I'm being extra careful. I set up a 2-18650 SolarForce light using panasonic protected 3400 mil cells. Dropin is tightly wrapped with a finned head. The trip protection kicks in right at 5.50 amps. As the light warms up it goes from 5-6 second runs to about 1 second runs between the trip going off. I'm going to try some depleted cells later as these are both right at 4.10v.
I had the same problem until I got some AW 18650's. The protection circuit has not tripped yet. I ran it for about 25 minutes tonight[ not continuous]. After the batteries drain down some it only gets warm.

scsmith

Newly Enlightened

But I will underline floody. Even with 3,000 lumens you could still stand looking at it a few meters away, whereas my Klarus XT11 or EagleTac TX25C2 with it's throwy hotspot makes you 'hurt' a little more.
That's another thing I like so much about this emitter. It gets distance on brute force, but it illuminates such a wide area that my eyes aren't adjusting between a hot spot and surrounding darkness except at much wider fields of view. The lack of a true hotspot also prevents light from being reflected back into the eyes with as great an intensity at close range. People talk about putting up a so-called wall of light with other flashlights. The MT-G2 in a P60 host truly does put up a wall of light. These things really do have to be seen to be appreciated.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah it's a wall of light similar to the quad P60 dropins. The carclo plain tight optic provides an even smoother wall of light.

Now that I've seen what the MT-G2 can do (like at it's tipping point), a 5.6 amp quad XP-G2 dropin driving full tilt could easily output 2/3'rds the lumens of an MT-G2 (being driven stably with more reasonable numbers). Still impressive in its own right.

Impressive enough that I've decided to forgo the MT-G2 and stick with the P60 quads. I actually *like* having modes and better run time. :D

Last edited:

msim

Enlightened

Got my neutral XP-G2 today... it's outstanding! Excellent beam coming out of the new smooth reflector... can't wait until it gets dark out! (Though the sun shining in Seattle is pretty nice too) :)

texas cop

Enlightened

This P-60 style MT-G2 is an experiment in running. I'm still having fun so no refund wanted. I'll try to get a battery list going, so far fast-tech protected Panasonic 18650's trip at 5.50 amps when discharged to 3.85volts it runs continuously. Heats up to the toasty at about 2 minutes. A QTC pill might be needed to perfect the current feed. This is probably an experimenters dream and a general users nightmare. Vinh very happy with your experiments keep up the research. Do think about a triple MT-G2, just not in a P-60.

scsmith

Newly Enlightened

Vinh, once you get the driver and copper sink pad perfected I'm getting another one of these. I'd really like to see what kind of beam pattern could be attained by screwing the pill into a D36 reflector or a Solarforce M3 head. But I might be thinking too far ahead.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

There is already a 3A regulated driver. But at 3A for MTG2 I rather go XML2...

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Last project before I leave :)

Dual XML2 3000K Hi CRI 90+ 6A L-M-H with last mode memory. Tail cap measured 5.55A with my 26650. Best mule I ever built :)

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now you're using my kind of leds ;) Very nice!

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast

Last project before I leave :)

Dual XML2 3000K Hi CRI 90+ 6A L-M-H with last mode memory. Tail cap measured 5.55A with my 26650. Best mule I ever built :)
My wallet doesn't want one right now (it's a bit tired ;)), but I do! :devil:

grayhighh

Enlightened

May I ask what is that black, liquid like thing under two LEDs ?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

May I ask what is that black, liquid like thing under two LEDs ?
#

Maybe his drop-ins are cooled with oil now like a car engine? :D :D :D

It's probably just some type of thermal compound/potting.

Freaker

Newly Enlightened

What's a good current to use for heat management with the XML2?

I don't mind it getting to around 100 degrees, but I don't want it to get too hot to hold.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's a good current to use for heat management with the XML2?

I don't mind it getting to around 100 degrees, but I don't want it to get too hot to hold.

Better wait for Vin's answer, but if you want to use a normal Solarforce head with no heat-fins then I would say around 2.5A maximum. Indoors even 2A will already become warm rather quickly.
If you have a head with big heat fins (Cry cooling bezel, fivemega Cooly host, fivemega's heads etc.) then you can do more.

I am having a drop-in built by someone else here in Germany for a Solarforce Host with a Cryos M2 Head. He said that 3.5A would be the mxaimum if I want to let it run continously.

LAB

Newly Enlightened

I run all 5 of my drop ins in solarforce hosts. All are 4 amp and above. I run them on average 10 -15 minutes at a time continuously. The MT-G2 is the only one I have to turn off because of heat.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I run all 5 of my drop ins in solarforce hosts. All are 4 amp and above. I run them on average 10 -15 minutes at a time continuously. The MT-G2 is the only one I have to turn off because of heat.

Interesting. How hot are they after that time period?
Do you have them correctly and tightly wrapped with aluminium or copper foil (without adhesive)?

Last edited:

LAB

Newly Enlightened

Interesting. How hot are they after that time period?
Do you have correctly and tighly rapped with aluminium or copepr foil (without adhesive)?

I wrap all my drop ins with copper tape. I have a DD xml-u3 that I run continuously. I don't have any overheat problems. I don't know why.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wrap all my drop ins with copper tape. I have a DD xml-u3 that I run continuously. I don't have any overheat problems. I don't know why.

Well, I guess thats great! ;)

Are you using the normal Solarforce heads or maybe something like a Cryos Cooling bezel?

LAB

Newly Enlightened

Well, I guess thats great! ;)

Are you using the normal Solarforce heads or maybe something like a Cryos Cooling bezel?

Stock Solarforce. Tailcap switch and all.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stock Solarforce. Tailcap switch and all.

Very interesting....

Maybe someone else can also chime in on this with their experiences.