Xeno G42 XM-L (1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
I came across a local distributor for Xeno (a pretty rare thing where I now that I live north of the border in Canadiana) and I thought I'd look into it.

Thank you, Selfbuilt, for all your great reviews!

Last edited:

npomokoji

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for so great review, I bought f42 t5 nw and very happy with it. It's amazing outdoors really recomend it who looking for thrower, just pick up one and try.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G42 is a real solid light. However, i have to send both my friend's and mine back to the dealer for warranty claims. Somehow, the light output fluctuated, flickered and the turbo mode was not as bright as before.

I recently suffered from this problem too. I cleaned deep in the tailcap and the problem went away.

keeperofdakeys

Newly Enlightened
So I was wondering if there were any major differences between the F42 and G42, all I can find is that the G42 has some more lumens (560 vs 605, both seem to be driven to the same power levels, so probably because of the different emitter bins) and the price (the G42 is significantly more expensive).

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Xeno G42 XM-L

of all the lights I've owned, my old G42 I used to have had some of the best machining i've ever felt in my hand. they pay such good attention to detail on those

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first light I bought because of its looks alone was the Klarus XT11. The second was the Xeno G42V2. I was not disappointed with both, (looks and performance) but the Xeno's over-all finish is a lot much better than all the lights I owned from major manufacturers.

nitric

Newly Enlightened

forgot to update:

i received both g42 v2 from the local dealer months ago. Xeno sent switches and the local dealer replaced them for me. The dealer even gave us 1 xtra switch for each g42. G42 is really a solid light and throws real far. perhaps closer to my m3c4 xml.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
So I was wondering if there were any major differences between the F42 and G42, all I can find is that the G42 has some more lumens (560 vs 605, both seem to be driven to the same power levels, so probably because of the different emitter bins) and the price (the G42 is significantly more expensive).

Yes, emitter bin/tint offerings differ. The drivers are exactly the same. Internals are the same (some dimensional differences, tailcap).
Other than slight cosmetic differences, the heads are the same (G42 is diamond knurled at shoulder, F42 is vertical knurled at bezel-- Note: Early F42 V1 and V2 lights came with the exact same head). The tailcaps are, however, different and not interchangeable. The body of the F42 is much more streamlined (it will fit most duty holsters from Surefire, Blackhawk, etc-- 1" bodies, the G42 will not). The G42's pocket clip is, I find obtrusive and, difficult to remove. The machining is top-notch on both. The G42's Stainless Steel bezel and tailcap ring are very nice (obviously provide more damage resistance than what anodized Aluminium can and a more capable tempered glass breaker). The F42's bezel is Aluminium. The body of the G42 sports an integral combat/cigar hold/ring which is quite low-profile. The F42 uses a square cut groove to accommodate a removable rubber combat/cigar hold/ring (quarter truncated, presumably to serve as an anti-roll). The G42 tailcap is single o-ring sealed. The F42 is double o-ring sealed. The G42 weighs, a noticeable bit, more than the F42). Generally, the F42 costs 25% less than the G42. The combination diffuser bezel wrench tool offered by XENO will work on both lights (as a wrench and as a diffuser, of course).

(I doubt XENO offers either the G42 or F42 in XP-G anymore but I know some retailers/users still have them-- and their throw, as the XP-G usage would suggest, is outstanding)

For me the pocket clip and the fact I could not use my existing duty holsters with the G42 meant it went back and the F42 stayed.

Last edited:

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
There is no hidden mode on my models, but don't need it on this type of light.
All newer XENO lights running this driver (and to my knowledge all drivers offered) now include a hidden strobe mode set. Three fast presses accesses Strobe (constant), Locator Beacon (pulse x1, pulse x1, pause x2), SOS (moderate speed).
FYI.