• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired XPG modules plus SST-50 -90 & MCE/P7 P60 dropin Modules for Sf product (part 4)

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XPG modules plus SST-50 -90 & MCE/P7 P60 dropin Modules for Sf product (part 4)

Is that driver regulated? What would the output be like with warm leds?

The LSD is sounding great for my around the house light

:goodjob:

Yes that is a fully regulated drive, I can put warm XPE or a mix no problem.
That is what this light is a good around the house light as it is very bright and floody so it lights up everything. It is not a show light with the small center clutter but bright and useful it is.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am planning out my build and still have a bit more to learn. However, I am considering the Surefire C2 (bored for 18650)as the host.

Question:
If I were to use the SST-50 drop-in, with the standard C2 bezel, do you envision any issues with the heat build up if using the light for extended time? Any guesses to how long I might be able to run it at high before getting to hot?

There will be some heat build up running continuously on high. Each light is different but ten to 15 minutes to pretty hot but again each light is different. I can run them in a FM 1X26500 on high continuous with only moderate warmth. If you add levels it is still bright on Med and a short period is all it needs to cool.

Do envision any heat issue with the XP-G R4 - with the same standard C2 bezel?

Slightly warm on high but continous running is not a problem.

Thanks!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XPG modules plus SST-50 -90 & MCE/P7 P60 dropin Modules for Sf product (part 4)

Hi All

I have just found a good boost driver that works from 1.2 volts to 4.2 volts and puts out great power. This means an XPG over driven to 1.2 amps on 1XCR123.
Oh and by the way it is 3 level so we even get levels.

I am hoping and believe that I can even run a diamond dragon regulated on 1X16340.

More experimenting to do. Back later with more.

Dave

mrQQ

Enlightened

which of these leds have high CRI versions and what's their color temperature (sorry if I missed this info somewhere).

I'm looking to build a collection of dropins. I'd want each led with both coolest (= highest output) and highest CRI version.

I'd want P7, P4, MC-E, XP-G [XP-E, XR-E only if they are high CRI], DD, GDP, SST-50, SST-90, TFFC. I'm figuring it's up to 18 dropins if each of led has both high output, and high cri bin [which, of course, won't be true]. I only need 1-mode, with highest possible output for the bin. I would like info about otf lumens for each of the bin, approximate, if possible.

I probably would also want Cree UV, GDP-IR, Ostar-IR, Nichia UV. Linger special aswell.

If I could get this info, I'd think about the order list and would proceed with it :)

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

which of these leds have high CRI versions and what's their color temperature (sorry if I missed this info somewhere).

I'm looking to build a collection of dropins. I'd want each led with both coolest (= highest output) and highest CRI version.

I'd want P7, P4, MC-E, XP-G [XP-E, XR-E only if they are high CRI], DD, GDP, SST-50, SST-90, TFFC. I'm figuring it's up to 18 dropins if each of led has both high output, and high cri bin [which, of course, won't be true]. I only need 1-mode, with highest possible output for the bin. I would like info about otf lumens for each of the bin, approximate, if possible.

I probably would also want Cree UV, GDP-IR, Ostar-IR, Nichia UV. Linger special aswell.

If I could get this info, I'd think about the order list and would proceed with it :)

Hi

Let me get my morning mailings done and I will put together a list for you. I would imagine i can satisfy most of those specifications. I will PM you in a couple of hours with the list.

Dave

Rommul

Enlightened

2X CR123 , 1X18650 will work I do most of my testing with a 1X2650 in a FM host. It has the 3 level 2.5 amp driver that I use running it. The 1X26500 is my fav dog walking light along with his c turbo head.

The problem when you go by 2 of these you start to get into heat problems. Once you go by 2 of these then you need dedicated heat sinking much as modoo does.

Two works quite well though sort of like a poor mans sst 50:devil:

dave

Are you saying the c Turbo head works well with LED's?

Edit: I read your post in the thread and got my answer.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you saying the c Turbo head works well with LED's?

Edit: I read your post in the thread and got my answer.

Yep I posted there also, most all my drops will allow the head to close and myself I love it. It really does help keep the heat at bay and I think it really tightens up the beam of most of the leds.

It does magnafy any center clutter present in the manufacturing of the led.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi

Sorry for the delay but Saturdays as I said are somewhat the domain of the wife's

List has been PM'd and geeze I do have alot of leds stocked. that is one comprehensive list of modules.

Let me know if I can help.

Dave

LG&M

Enlightened

I am sure you have thought of this but something for the E-series would rock! with all the P/C -series drop-In's I can't believe we don't have more E-series options. I got a E2E over a year ago because I was sure the time was right for some kind of drop-in / tower.

elho

Enlightened

I am considering the Surefire C2 (bored for 18650)as the host.
Excellent choice, I use these from ElectronGuru for my SST-50 and SST-90 drop-ins. :thumbsup:

If I were to use the SST-50 drop-in, with the standard C2 bezel, do you envision any issues with the heat build up if using the light for extended time? Any guesses to how long I might be able to run it at high before getting to hot?
As the drop-in is fairly long, it is used without its outer spring and the C2 bezel leaves a minimal (like half a millimeter) gap. This means, that the lower brass part of the drop-in gets directly firmly pressed against the ridge in the C2, so you get better heat transfer than using e.g. an M2 bezel where you had to use the outer spring of the drop-in making it "float" in the air.

Just sitting on your desk it will get hot quickly, I had posted some figures in the previous part of this thread. Actual outside use, at 10°C or whatever we now have in the evening, constant operation on high is no problem and gives you a nicely warm light instead of the cold metal feeling you'd normally have.
On a hot summer day that'll probably be a little different. ;)

elho

Enlightened

Skip the hassle of doing a list, post what we are all waiting for someone to post:
":paypal: for one each." :crackup:

flashaholic wannabe :wave:
Rest assured, you definitely are past the wannabe stage. :twothumbs

spankone

Enlightened

hi whats the run time on the xpg linger special using 18650-2400 mah?

my host is a bored 6p surefire

also how much is post to the uk

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

hi whats the run time on the xpg linger special using 18650-2400 mah?

my host is a bored 6p surefire

also how much is post to the uk

HI

I have not measured the run time but I use it in a FM 1X26500 using a AW IMR 26500 and get more than two hours out of it.

$3.50 for int shipping 1st class

Dave

spankone

Enlightened

can you pm me details on how to purchase:whistle:

spankone

Enlightened

one linger speical please with uk shipping for a sure fire 6p pay pal sent

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is some serious runtime! Those aw c cells are 3300mah right? Might be able to squeeze 1.5 hours from an aw 18650 :twothumbs

Any thoughts about a linger diamond dragon? What is the warmest led we can use for the linger? I love my p7 warm so I would like it to be that warm at least

Last edited:

PLT

Newly Enlightened

PM has been sent. Thank you.

R A Miller

Newly Enlightened

Yes that is a fully regulated drive, I can put warm XPE or a mix no problem.
That is what this light is a good around the house light as it is very bright and floody so it lights up everything. It is not a show light with the small center clutter but bright and useful it is.

Any thoughts about a linger diamond dragon? What is the warmest led we can use for the linger? I love my p7 warm so I would like it to be that warm at least

I'm definitely interested in a Linger Special with two warm LEDs. Dave, what's your recommendation for a warm Linger Special?

Rick

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm definitely interested in a Linger Special with two warm LEDs. Dave, what's your recommendation for a warm Linger Special?

Rick

Well it would be nice to mix and match these big leds but no reflectors.

For that reason XPE or XRG and since you wanted warm then I would think something like a JE6 XPE which is a warm or a Q3 5b or 4c XPE if you wanted neutral.

Dave