• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired XPG modules plus SST-50 -90 & MCE/P7 P60 dropin Modules for Sf product (part 4)

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XPG modules plus SST-50 -90 & MCE/P7 P60 dropin Modules for Sf product (part 4)

Shouldn't the Linger special be putting out north of 700 LED lumens given the drive current of 2.5A?

PetesTactical

Newly Enlightened
Re: XPG modules plus SST-50 -90 & MCE/P7 P60 dropin Modules for Sf product (part 4)

Looks like I'll be going with the SST-50 for my weapon light, in a 1 stage. Is there a choice between direct drive or regulated? If so, what do you guys think are the benefits / drawback to each?

Is the SST-90 going to be more of a flood light than the SST-50?

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shouldn't the Linger special be putting out north of 700 LED lumens given the drive current of 2.5A?

Hi

Well I know that JTR has measured these things at lumen ratings almost like rocket ships which is cool but I must not know how to do it.
Actually there is large differences between strapping an led to a hunk of copper and OTF.
The absolute best at 1.4 amps that I have gotten out of an XPG is 340 OTF measured from MrGmans sphere so should be pretty close. That led had an extremely low VF.
The more heat sink definitely gets you more light.
There are other companies if I remember right running at 1 amps in their drop who also has another one of MrGmans spheres quotes 262 which is what I get at 1 amp.
People quoted XPE R2's at 300 yet and average R2@1amp on a good day was 225 lumens.

So anyway I guess I need to go to school since I simply can't get these kind of numbers at turn on.:poke:

I get 545 OTF on the dual XPG but it drops quick so I always understate a bit but only twenty lumens and quote 525.

Figuring something like 1.2amps per led and I usually about 280 - 290 lumens at 1.2amps that is about right with a dirty lens.:devil:

Dave

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Dave

Is it regulated? (That's probably already been answered somewhere in your thread; I've only read parts 3 and 4.)

Tony

Most of the time they are direct drive as the guys are after all they can get lumen wise. I can run them regulated either 3 levels or 1 level.
The one level is extra because I have to build a sandwich and I end up using 3 boards, if that is the one you want please PM me

thanks

Dave

Looks like I'll be going with the SST-50 for my weapon light, in a 1 stage. Is there a choice between direct drive or regulated? If so, what do you guys think are the benefits / drawback to each?

As above most go with the direct drive and all seem quite content. As above there is a 1 level direct drive but it is a little more because of the extra work and boards.

Benefits well the regulated give a flat output but remember there is a small overhead for any given driver.
Myself I use a direct drive because I want all that I can get and the slight dimming I get as they are used is not really noticeable to me since these are so bright.
In a weapon light I would think the first few minutes or maybe even minute:devil: are the most important so they need to be the brightest.

Anyway they can be had either way.

Is the SST-90 going to be more of a flood light than the SST-50?

Yes the 90 is much floodier

Dave

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Just dropped by to say that my 1 mode sandwich SST-50 smooth reflector is still killing every LED it goes up against!

Love it! :thumbsup:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just dropped by to say that my 1 mode sandwich SST-50 smooth reflector is still killing every LED it goes up against!

Love it! :thumbsup:

Hi SGT

thanks for stopping by!!!

That was a monster drop in, that batch of neutral binned SST 50 were awesome. They were some of the brightest SST 's I have had.
Yours ended up being about as bright as some of the 90's drop ins are.

I am glad you are enjoying it as that is really what I like to hear.

Thanks

Dave

OfficerCamp

Enlightened

Soooooooooo, the D26 SST-50 that you built for me is awesome, but I still need something warmer, and maybe with more flood. I'm thinking an SST-90. How neutral/warm tinted can we go, and how hard can we drive this thing? I'll be running either a 17670 or an 18650, so I'm not too concerned with pulling too much from the cells.

Summary:
D26 size (Surefire C2)
SST-90 LED
Neutral/Warm tint (let me know what you have available, the SST-50 you built for me is a little cool for my taste)
Driven like absolute hell (runtime is no issue)

Thanks in advance Dave.
PS: My Surefire M3 w/ neutral MC-E is my primary duty light, my fellow officers/security are very impressed.

EDIT: Happy Turkey Day! I'm thankful for my family, my girl, and my nailbender drop-ins!

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

:paypal:

$75 sent via PayPal for a P60 MCE warm-tint dropin with 3 levels.

Thanks!!

-Rich

PetesTactical

Newly Enlightened

C2 host W 6PD bezzel, to run on 2 primaries or 1 17670
P60 Drop in
SST-50 (As Warm as possible)
Direct Drive / 1 Stage

THANKS!

Last edited:

gav6280

Enlightened

I have a 6 cell nimh battery pack, so absolute max would be 8.4V

I would really like and XPG R4/R5 or even an MCE drop in, in cool white. I don't need modes.

Is it possible to come up with something?

On a side note my host has a diameter of 34mm, and i would like as narrow beam as possible.

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Soooooooooo, the D26 SST-50 that you built for me is awesome, but I still need something warmer, and maybe with more flood. I'm thinking an SST-90. How neutral/warm tinted can we go, and how hard can we drive this thing? I'll be running either a 17670 or an 18650, so I'm not too concerned with pulling too much from the cells.

Summary:
D26 size (Surefire C2)
SST-90 LED
Neutral/Warm tint (let me know what you have available, the SST-50 you built for me is a little cool for my taste)
Driven like absolute hell (runtime is no issue)

Thanks in advance Dave.
PS: My Surefire M3 w/ neutral MC-E is my primary duty light, my fellow officers/security are very impressed.

EDIT: Happy Turkey Day! I'm thankful for my family, my girl, and my nailbender drop-ins!

HI

I have some 5700K neutral white SST 90 but these are white white these are not neutral like a Q45B these are pure white. That is as neutral warm as I have for SST90's

I have a neutral white warm colored P7 but it will perform much like your MC-E will.

Dave

switchoff

Newly Enlightened

I just received the sst-90 yesterday and this drop-in kicks arse! It's turned my ol' 6P into my favorite EDC now. Really impressed w/ the beam pattern and output.

Thanks Dave!

OneBigDay

Enlightened

I am very interested in one of these drop-ins. I am new so not vetted to send PM yet (stay tuned for price quote PM!).

P60 Host
1*18650 battery
I have to read this thread from the top and see if I can better understand the driver options. A couple of output levels would be nice, but having it be direct drive if that offers slightly more output is an interesting option.
SST-50/90

Is the main functional difference between the SST-50/SST-90 the beam pattern as mentioned in earlier posts, or would a person expect significant runtime/heat dissipation differences as well?

^^Nova^^

Enlightened

Hi Dave,

Been looking at these for a while now and have a question or 2 for you.

When using single cell lights how does your driver handle low voltage? Mainly thinking of IMR 26500/26650 cells that don't have protection circuits?

What is your best driver for SST-50 LED? I am undecided on a 1x or 2x cell host. Also how much better is the 36mm reflector than the 25mm one? Thinking about a FM M-series body.

Cheers,
Nova

Chowser

Newly Enlightened

Hello, I have a few quick questions.

1) Any Linger specials left?

I currently have a Surefire G2 mounted on my rifle at work running some LED lamp with a 17670 3.7V battery.

2) Will the Linger work ok with the 17670 battery and the G2 Nitrolon's plastic body?

or should I break down and get a 6P to use?

I think the Linger special light would be better for me to use in clearing rooms in houses. Most of the lights we all have have too tight of a center.

thanks,
phil

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Dave,

Been looking at these for a while now and have a question or 2 for you.

When using single cell lights how does your driver handle low voltage? Mainly thinking of IMR 26500/26650 cells that don't have protection circuits?

What is your best driver for SST-50 LED? I am undecided on a 1x or 2x cell host. Also how much better is the 36mm reflector than the 25mm one? Thinking about a FM M-series body.

Cheers,
Nova

Hi

Most of the time we run these on direct drive boards, i have some that are made up with 3 levels and 5 levels and of course you can also get 1 level.

There are no drivers that will accomodate 2X Li Ion batts. 2 primaries yes but not 2X26500.

I can build a sanwich for the SST 50 that will give you 2.8 amps but you will get more amperage out of the 26500 going direct drive.
The board doesn't let you know when to change batteries but your eyes will
Also remember just because the IMR dont have protection circuit they are safe chemistry or what ever you want to call them as they will not explode as best I understand them. I use a 1X26500 for most of my testing and have never had a problem nor have I ruined any batts from over discharging them.
I have a sandwich driver I can build that will furnish 2.8 amps but it is a small additional charge since I end up using 3 boards and it is labor intensive, please PM if you want that quoted.

Dave

Hello, I have a few quick questions.

1) Any Linger specials left?

I currently have a Surefire G2 mounted on my rifle at work running some LED lamp with a 17670 3.7V battery.

2) Will the Linger work ok with the 17670 battery and the G2 Nitrolon's plastic body?

or should I break down and get a 6P to use?

I think the Linger special light would be better for me to use in clearing rooms in houses. Most of the lights we all have have too tight of a center.

thanks,
phil

Hi Phil

I build these drops custom so I can build one up for you no problem. I have a couple to send so I can make another one up .

It will run fine on the setup you have installed no problem.
This is a perfect setup for using to clear a room. Although there is a small amount of center clutter it is minimal and the light is very bright but also quite floody, IMHO would be perfect for your situation. Both my wife and I use it around the house becuase of the area it does light up and how bright it is doing it.

Dave

Xfinity

Newly Enlightened

Hi again Dave!

I was so pleased with my first SST-50 that I want to order another ;).

I want to put down an order for the following setup:

* SST-50 (6500k)
* GJ bin
* Smooth reflector
* Single mode
* Regulated drive
* 2 X 1.4 amp = 2.8 amps (sandwiched)
* Fit a SF 6P

Thanks for all my PMs and questions Dave! :)

// Daniel

Last edited:

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened

:paypal: For one Nichia UV 365nm

One mode
powered off of a single 18650

Last edited:

OneBigDay

Enlightened

Dave,

Payment Sent - will send PM with details. Thanks for answering my questions.

• SST-50 LED (for P60 host with 1*18650 battery)
  • Cool white is good
  • SMO reflector
  • Driver to favor brightness over run time
  • direct drive
  • 5 Levels - Low Med High Strobe SOS

Christmas is early this year

kimck99

Newly Enlightened

Hi Dave,

I'm guessing that this question has been asked but frankly, Part 1, 2, 3, and now 4 is a bit much to sift through :eek:oo:.

I am interested in the SST-50 drop in. I undertand that the current draw is 2.5A. My plan is to run this in a 18650-bored C2. What battery do you recommend?

I have AW18650 (2200mah) and Trustfire (black/flame) 18650. Will they be sufficient? Should I look at the IMR 18650s? What about running the SST-50 with 2xRCR123A's?

Thanks. When I am ready to purchase, I'll PM you.