XPG Tint Question...

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of the XPG's I've seen, admittedely not that many, have a slight greenish tint to them. Are they all this way? I had one R5 and currently have an R5. Both greenish, although more so at lower power.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Variability in the manufacturing process, especially when pushing the envelope on brightness and efficiency, means that XP-Gs come off the production line in quite a wide range of tints. Of course everyone would like to have just the whitest ones but that would leave CREE with lots unsold.

So CREE tend to sell XP-Gs in 'kits' containing a range of different tint bins. You can't order just one tint. To get the whitest ones you also have to take a bunch of the other tints, green included.

So no, they aren't all green, but until technology moves on (as it will given time), we're probably stuck with the tint bin lottery for now.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
All of the XPG's I've seen, admittedely not that many, have a slight greenish tint to them. Are they all this way? I had one R5 and currently have an R5. Both greenish, although more so at lower power.
I don't know if they're all that way, but my recent Quark AAx2 Tactical with XP-G R5 has a green tint too. It's not that noticeable when used by itself, and at Max output the tint is very faint too. I would have perferred a "whiter" colour, but it works as it should so I'm happy.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Variability in the manufacturing process, especially when pushing the envelope on brightness and efficiency, means that XP-Gs come off the production line in quite a wide range of tints. Of course everyone would like to have just the whitest ones but that would leave CREE with lots unsold.

So CREE tend to sell XP-Gs in 'kits' containing a range of different tint bins. You can't order just one tint. To get the whitest ones you also have to take a bunch of the other tints, green included.

So no, they aren't all green, but until technology moves on (as it will given time), we're probably stuck with the tint bin lottery for now.

Are there any www retailers who sell individual tints?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Well I did find one seller who's offering XP-Gs in an individual tint . . .

You're probably ahead of me on this one, but yes, you can guess which tint they've got - the green ones ! :ohgeez:

Easily solved by going down a brightness bin - I got some nice white R4s. :D

OneBigDay

Enlightened
I have an IlluminaTi (XP-G R5), and this is only very slightly tinted green. You might not notice if you are looking at it alone. Only when I directly compare it with other beam tints do I notice the slight green.

I also have a Quark Mini AA (XP-G R5) - this is just plain green. Don't need a discerning eye to see it.

My similar comments from another post https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3265147&postcount=3
And another member backed up my observations
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3265208&postcount=4

Initially I told myself I would return the Quark if it were too green for my taste. It is, but it's still a great little light and I don't want to punish a vendor who is trying to fullfill a very loud demand for XP-G by returning the light for this reason. I'll live with it for a while and see what I have to say about it a year from now ;)

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got two XP-G pills from Dereelight, one is much whiter than my 4sevens' XP-G and one leans more to yellow than the white one.

Also, I got two Preons, one leans very slightly towards yellow, and the other one is vanilla (like WD tint).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
out of the three XP-Gs I have, all were feared to be much on the blue side
but while they are a bit "cold", they are not too far away form my very neutral XR-Es.
The warm white XR-P in the Quark mini is warm.
... none of the 4 shows the slightest green tint.

... still time that we can choose the tint. :thinking:

Gary123

Enlightened
I have about 6 XP-G lights (3 quarks, a AAA Ti Illuminati, Fenix Ti PD10, a KUKU427 LF2XT) and they are all slightly green except the Fenix which is a very pure white.

fabienne

Enlightened
I have two preons, the titanium one is little bit greenish, while the stealth black is pure white. But I didn't notice about the green tint until compared side by side.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Well I did find one seller who's offering XP-Gs in an individual tint . . .

You're probably ahead of me on this one, but yes, you can guess which tint they've got - the green ones ! :ohgeez:

Easily solved by going down a brightness bin - I got some nice white R4s. :D

Can you do me a favor and PM me the www retailer?... thanks!! I am looking for some whiter tinted R4 emitters.

thanks!!:thumbsup:

Runo

Newly Enlightened
My Preon's xp-g is cool white as well, maybe even ever so slightly purplish.

Jojo

timbo114

Enlightened
I got two XP-G pills from Dereelight, one is much whiter than my 4sevens' XP-G and one leans more to yellow than the white one...

I just received a Dereelight C2H EDC w/XP-G 2S (5700k) WG tint - VERY nice white - a good bit whiter than my my TiQuark.

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
I have a 3.7V~4.2V CREE XPG R5 WC 5-mode P60 drop in from KD, it is pure white with no hint of green or any other tint. Extremely bright too.

videoman

Enlightened
I went to Cutter site and noticed they have 2 different XPG R5 that are 24 cents apart in pricing. What is the difference in them ? tint ? if so which one is the whitest in colo? Thanks

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
yes your right, this has only been added very recently,
XPGWHT-LI-1A0-R5-0-01 is right in the middle of WC tint
very white and sought after hence the extra cost