XPG's in a DBS XRE reflector

decra

Newly Enlightened
Hey Everyone,
I have a dbs with an R2 in SMO reflector as well as an OP for fun. I also have a cunning plan.
If I relegate the r2 to an aspheric head, and buy an XP-G pill, will the XP-G work as well in my current SMO reflector as it would in the reflector sold with the XP-G.
In other words, is there a big difference between the 2 reflectors (XR-E - XP-G)?
I have dream of only having 2 DBS reflectors (OP and SMO).
Is this feasible or do I have to start buying more reflectors too?
Thanks guys

Last edited:

fa__

Newly Enlightened
Re: XPG's in a DBS XrE reflector

I tried this setup, with the OP XRE DBS reflector
The beam is not bad; not too much throw, a large and bright hotspot and a medium to low spill. I think some light is lost as the led does not enter enough inside the reflector
I should soon receive a dedicated XPG DBS reflector (smooth, not OP) , I'll try to post a comparaison beamshot ;)
The pill I used is the 3 mode XPG R5 from my javelin, I'll get a new XPG pill with the DBS reflector.

decra

Newly Enlightened
Re: XPG's in a DBS XrE reflector

Thanks fa,
So you feel that the XPG (in your setup at least), doesn't protrude enough to make full use of the reflector?

funtom

Newly Enlightened
In other words, is there a big difference between the 2 reflectors (XR-E - XP-G)?

Hi decra,
only with new SMO XP-G reflector you will get the lager hotspot and greater spill around it. With the SMO XR-E reflector the beam nearly looks the same.

HTH funtom

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
I imagine that the SMO reflector that's designed for it would prevent loss since the dome/LED is smaller than the dome on the XR-E, hence the XR-E reflector has a larger opening with less reflective material to corral the light the right way. Who knows? I just got an XP-G pill and have yet to even order the dedicated SMO reflector.

Who knows? It might be better than the XR-E with its reflector. Carry your two DBS's and, for good measure, keep a C2H with you for up close tasks. I'll bet if you've got a prism headband laying around, it would hold the C2H just right. In fact, I have to go home and try just that so I can use both DBS's at the same time and not worry about up close tasks since my hands are free . . . oh boy. I get carried away sometimes! :D:grin2:

Now I've got two things to try out when I get home!

decra

Newly Enlightened
I imagine that the SMO reflector that's designed for it would prevent loss since the dome/LED is smaller than the dome on the XR-E, hence the XR-E reflector has a larger opening with less reflective material to corral the light the right way. Who knows? I just got an XP-G pill and have yet to even order the dedicated SMO reflector.

Who knows? It might be better than the XR-E with its reflector. Carry your two DBS's and, for good measure, keep a C2H with you for up close tasks. I'll bet if you've got a prism headband laying around, it would hold the C2H just right. In fact, I have to go home and try just that so I can use both DBS's at the same time and not worry about up close tasks since my hands are free . . . oh boy. I get carried away sometimes! :D:grin2:

Now I've got two things to try out when I get home!

You're right. I should just order the emitter and reflector and try it out. In fact, I may as well just get a whole new DBS, so I can do side by sides. Who needs money anyway?:D