Yet Another Alkaline Cell Horror Story

T15-T10.JPG

So, just got an Olight Transformers set. It's a TC15 Ti light plus a TC10 Ti tube and all sorts of goodies:

T15 MAN.jpg

A Duracell AA time-bomb is ticking away, oh no! A quick search – it's hidden in the holster in the back of the packaging.

T15 BATT.JPG

Thank goodness it wasn't in the light!

Any of you going to put up "sealed in the box" any of the lights that come with some alkaline cell installed?

Don't use alkaline cells except under specific, controlled use. Don't pop one in a light and put it in the glovebox.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stinks you got a dud battery, but at least it wasn't in the light. Looks like a nice light kit. I got a couple similar ones back in '07. Fenix had a kit with an L1D (1AA) and P2D (1 123A) body tubes and tailcaps, a battery tube end cover (for using the spare body as a battery carrier), a Cree XR-E Q5 l.e.d. head, and a white diffuser. I bought two of those kits and one extra L2D body tube. Still amazes me after all this time, due to lawsuits with Surefire, I still can't find a better light. More efficient, yes. But show me one other light I can run on 1AA, 2AA, or 1 123A, has 4 brightness settings, strobe and SOS, and turns on in turbo or low (my choice) on the first click, and has a tailcap lockout (Surefire later sued over this). I can saw the light in half and just have to swap out the damaged body tube. What made these lights survive so long is I never ever use alkaline batteries in them. They only get Eneloops or lithiums.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an Icon flashlight, that PK-designed one that was in Radio Shack, from ebay. It was the 2AA one.

When I got it, the batts were corroded. Seller graciously sent me another one immediately but yeah... alkalines in new/old stock packages give me the heeby jeebies.

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
I see corroded alaklines all the time these days, but dont remember nearly as many back in the early 2000's and before as much.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wasn't until all the companies were forced to make their batteries mercury free that they started leaking like crazy. They probably didn't cut as many corners making them back then.

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
It wasn't until all the companies were forced to make their batteries mercury free that they started leaking like crazy. They probably didn't cut as many corners making them back then.
Good point. Maybe also even big brands like Duracell make too much product overseas.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I found the 2nd aaa minimag I keep on a shelf suffered from a leaking energizer. It's an early LED version that has the batteries it came with installed. I say the second because about 10 years ago one had the same issue. The first one I was able to fix. This one remains to be seen.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the 2nd aaa minimag I keep on a shelf suffered from a leaking energizer. It's an early LED version that has the batteries it came with installed. I say the second because about 10 years ago one had the same issue. The first one I was able to fix. This one remains to be seen.

Very sorry to hear that. I feel ya' man! I recently discovered that I'd lost the second of my two 3-cell AA Minimag conversions (Tacstar extension tube setup / Al reflector / bulb) from the old days. I also say the second because the first suffered a similar fate several years ago. This one had Duracells in it, and had not been sitting idle that long - 'only' a few months, but as you know it doesn't take long.

I found I wasn't able to chamber my AA Eneloops in those two old lights (the factory tube section or the matching extension) due to insufficient ID, and that's the ONLY reason alkalines were in this one in the first place. That last part seems strange, since I could swear I used very early NiMH cells in them back in the day, but the current Eneloops must be fatter (and I also assume the modern Minimag tubes are larger ID - although I don't have one to check). You'd likely be aware of that (apparent) ID change, but I wasn't until fairly recently. Anyway, it was particularly disappointing since I was determned not to let it claim the second one, but still ended up screwing up anyway.

I'm sure this doesn't make you feel any better, but you're also not alone (FWIW:)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading somewhere that there were "regular" and "high capacity" Eneloops and that the high capacity ones were a bit wider. I guess that means Eneloop and Eneloop Pro ?

Could be. I have a couple of kinds of the AAAs, but the only AA Eneloops I have are the 'hi-cap' black ones I use mostly for photoflash. They may be larger than the more 'standard' (white label?) ones, but I can't check that myself (and specs are not the strong suit of Eneloops it seems, as I found when looking for discharge current ratings on them). In any case, the earlier NiMH cells I think I used long ago were far pre-Eneloop (early consumer market ones from either RayOVac or Energizer), and they were (apparently) smaller diameter than the current 'hi-cap' Eneloops. If the 'standard' AA Eneloops are indeed smaller diameter, knowing that and having some might have saved that light from destruction. I don't know if that would make me feel better either, as I'm still pretty filthy with myself about the whole incident:)

Perhaps Byk knows if the AA MiniMag ID changed over the years, which would also help confirm what I think I'm remembering.

Of course in any case, it's all on me - I screwed up!

Last edited:

hsa

Enlightened
I have a '2015' Mini Mag Pro. '2016' white eneloops fit with room to spare and so do '2017' black eneloops. Both will rattle a bit until the tailcap is installed. Don't know if that helps.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Very sorry to hear that. I feel ya' man! I recently discovered that I'd lost the second of my two 3-cell AA Minimag conversions (Tacstar extension tube setup / Al reflector / bulb) from the old days. I also say the second because the first suffered a similar fate several years ago. This one had Duracells in it, and had not been sitting idle that long - 'only' a few months, but as you know it doesn't take long.

I found I wasn't able to chamber my AA Eneloops in those two old lights (the factory tube section or the matching extension) due to insufficient ID, and that's the ONLY reason alkalines were in this one in the first place. That last part seems strange, since I could swear I used very early NiMH cells in them back in the day, but the current Eneloops must be fatter (and I also assume the modern Minimag tubes are larger ID - although I don't have one to check). You'd likely be aware of that (apparent) ID change, but I wasn't until fairly recently. Anyway, it was particularly disappointing since I was determned not to let it claim the second one, but still ended up screwing up anyway.

I'm sure this doesn't make you feel any better, but you're also not alone (FWIW:)
It turned out to be 2013 duracells. The one closest to the tailcap came out this morning after a few drops of white vinegar were dropped into the barrel last night. The second one is soaking now in a few more drops. I'm figuring the switch is no good now but hopefully the engine is ok.

It's the first time I've had a battery leak in a long time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sadly with the push for electric cars and "green" this and that lithium battery prices are skyrocketing making L91s go way up in cost which encourages more to consider alkaleaks. I've had such lousy luck with alkaleaks that I no longer buy name brand cells instead I buy the cheapest I can get of generic alkaleaks. If you don't file a claim every time you have a name brand alkaspew and get compensated for it them paying more for that "guarantee" is a waste of money.

I watched a comparison of alkaleaks comparing the performance/cost of dollar store, generic, and name brand alkaleaks taking into account the price and they found the dollar store batteries were the best deal.... almost the same amount of power in them for a lot lot less. I've switched to buying generic alkaleaks as I've found no statistical evidence they leak any more than name brands do and I pocket the extra cash for needed lithium batteries as my budget doesn't allow me to pay almost $2 each for Energizer lithiums now and occasionally I need to buy them for car flashlights, expensive remotes and devices that I have on standby and only use them ocassionally and indoor/outdoor thermometers where when it gets cold leakalines can fail to work.

I have alkaleaks often enough now I check batteries almost every time I use something I am not sure what are in it now.
At 30-50 cents each for alkaleaks vs $2 or more for either "loops" or lithiums I either have to leave some batteries out of stuff or fill them with alkaleaks now risking the destruction from the spew.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It turned out to be 2013 duracells. The one closest to the tailcap came out this morning after a few drops of white vinegar were dropped into the barrel last night. The second one is soaking now in a few more drops. I'm figuring the switch is no good now but hopefully the engine is ok.

It's the first time I've had a battery leak in a long time.
I tried to get the top battery out with vibrations and ended up wrecking the health of the barrel so it's a parts light now. I'll dremel off top portion to get the switch and engine out.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I tried to get the top battery out with vibrations and ended up wrecking the health of the barrel so it's a parts light now. I'll dremel off top portion to get the switch and engine out.
I had a minimag incan modded with an led/switch kit that the same thing happened to it.... I rescued the LED module and switch and tossed the rest.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. Both of the above eneloops fit very snug in my 1985 incan Mini Mag. All of my Duracells fit the trash can perfectly.

Thanx for doing that check, HSA! I was lacking the lights / cells / calipers right here handy to check this myself, and your check confirms my belief that the inside diameter of the AA MM was increased at some point(s) in its history to a noticeable, and in this case significant degree. Not sure why they would have made that change, but might have been in recognition that the realm of AA format cells was expanding beyond the historically 'alkaline only' world and dimensions might range larger (which obviously has proven to be the case). Thanx!

EDIT: changed crummy wording

Last edited: