Yet another shop light LED conversion .....

wquiles

Flashaholic
Nothing too exciting - just another LED conversion thread :)

This is how the lamp looked like when it was new:
Original.JPG

I used this lamp primarily in my belt sander, and although bright, the coverage was not even/smooth, and of course a little too yellow for my taste (now that I am used to the outstanding Nichia 219), so I decided to convert it to LED (3x Nichia 219's in series, driven at 1.5A by a current-regulated LED driver from TaskLED, being driven by a 12V DC regulated power supply):
DSCF9900.JPG

DSCF9901.JPG

DSCF9902.JPG

DSCF9903.JPG

DSCF9904.JPG

With a rather large outer housing made of Aluminum, I have already a pretty decent way to radiate heat for the LED(s), so I just needed to make a custom heatsink. I feel one should never approach the machines/tools until one has a "rough" idea of what is needed, so after taking some measurements, I made a few paper designs:
DSCF0468.JPG

The diameter came at just under 3.5", so I bought a "small" Al rod:
DSCF9931.JPG

DSCF9932.JPG

DSCF9933.JPG

then cut a small chunk:
DSCF0471.JPG

DSCF0472.JPG

I then ran into a small problem. In my 12x lathe, 99.99% of the time I have an outstanding 6" Set-Tru Bison 6-jaw scroll chuck which is usually calibrated to about 0.0002" TIR, but unfortunately it is a tad small to run this 3.5" dia Al piece, so I had to install the OEM 8" 4-jaw chuck the lathe came with 4-5 years ago.

I started by removing the Bison chuck and cleaning everything, and then installing the 8" chuck:
DSCF0488.JPG

DSCF0489.JPG

Now I could start work on the custom heatsink. First work on the OD:
DSCF0490.JPG

DSCF0491.JPG

DSCF0492.JPG

Then work on the area where the LED will sit. Per my paper design above, this is meant to be a floody light, but being that the LED will be inside a "pocket", it will have a slightly more narrow coverage, than if the LED were sitting on the top surface of the heat sink. If you have not tried them yet, these spade drills are the bomb!:
DSCF0493.JPG

After some more turning and boring, it is starting to look like my paper design:
DSCF0495.JPG

OK, the LED side is complete (still coated with LB2000 lubricant):
DSCF0496.JPG

Here I am working on the back side. Besides creating the lip so that it fits inside the Aluminum housing, I am also trying to remove extra material to keep the weight relatively down:
DSCF0497.JPG

The heatsink got a small nick, but it still looks decent enough - and the sliding fit was spot on:
DSCF0500.JPG

This is how the interior looks like. Note that the switch on top is just a standard SPST switch, which in my case is tied to the positive wire coming from my new 12V DC Regulated power supply:
DSCF0501.JPG

Oh, and by the way, I did put back my Bison chuck on the lathe, which I aligned with scratch marks I made "before" removing it. I still have to re-do the Set-Tru adjustments, but it should be "close" since I am putting it exactly the way it was before:
DSCF0502.JPG

Since this new LED lamp is meant to be used again in grinder duty, as part of my design, I decided to reuse the back plate (more on that soon), and the front parts that held the glass and gasket. I designed a "shelf" on the heatsink (right above the LEDs), where I put the original gasket, the glass, and then the original retaining ring which slightly compresses the glass against the LED to seal and prevent any rattles. Here I am spot marking where I am going to be drilling and tapping the screws to hold everything in place:
DSCF0503.JPG

Finalizing this work using my restored Wilton vise with custom soft jaws:
DSCF0504.JPG

Mark the spot for the two holes for the LED wires:
DSCF0505.JPG

LED set in place (two-part thermal epoxy), here in my electronics work bench:
DSCF0506.JPG

DSCF0507.JPG

Once the thermal epoxy is set, I of course test the LED's once more:
DSCF0508.JPG

DSCF0509.JPG

Here is a reference shot with low ambient light (manual exposure), to give you an idea of the smooth, even light coverage (yes, that is a CF M390 Milie):
DSCF0510.JPG

DSCF0511.JPG

Epoxy wires and seal the wire holes:
DSCF0512.JPG

This is how the gasket and glass look like and then with the cover:
DSCF0524.JPG

DSCF0525.JPG

Yes, the cover protrudes outward of the housing on purpose - this is to give some protection to the glass in case "stuff" where to get out of hand in the grinder:
DSCF0527.JPG

The back cover had 3 holes to provide some air flow for the incandescent light, but I "don't want debris getting inside. Although the LED is sealed on both sides, I don't think the LED driver would "tolerate" metal shorting stuff!, so I just keep things really simple and used electrical tape on both sides. The momentary push bottom is what is used to program/setup/configure the LED driver, and normally will not be used, but having the switch on the "outside" means I don't have to open the back cover to re-configure the LED driver in the future. I used epoxy to make sure the switch stays in place:
DSCF0530.JPG

Speaking of the LED driver, this is it: b3Flex. The small Al piece is a custom made piece (by TaskLED) which provides thermal path between the LED driver and the host heatsink:
DSCF0531.JPG

DSCF0532.JPG

You first use thermal epoxy to "glue" the small heatsink to the LED driver:
DSCF0533.JPG

And then use thermal epoxy to "glue" the assembly to the host heatsink:
DSCF0535.JPG

Then comes the easier part - assembly. First solder the LED driver to the input power (12D VC) and to the rear switch wires:
DSCF0537.JPG

Then solder the wires to the switch:
DSCF0538.JPG

Since I don't want this to be permanently closed, I just used hot glue to keep the back plate in place. Not "pretty", but it does the job:
DSCF0539.JPG

After smearing thermal paste (not epoxy) between the new custom heatsink and the inside of the Aluminum housing, I then drilled and tapped a small screw to make sure things don't move during use:
DSCF0540.JPG

DSCF0541.JPG

These two photos here are underexposed on purpose for the comparison (they are much brighter in real life). First, my normal, single LED (Cree XP-G or Nichia 219) look like at 750mA with a small diffusing lens, which I use in my 12x lathe and on my knee mill (camera in manual setting, and yes, I am old enough to need reading glasses):
DSCF0544.JPG

and here is how the area looks like, at the same height, but from the new lamp - note the great coverage (remember this is under-exposed, at the same manual settings as above):
DSCF0545.JPG

That is all for now. I think I still have ONE more light in the shop that needs conversion to LED's ........

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
t looks like a nice build.

Two questions;

Why did you inset the LEDs so far when you were going for a flood?

It looks like the bore of the heatsink is acting as a reflector. Did you spray a coating on it to keep it from dulling?

Daniel

wquiles

Flashaholic
I did the inset for two reasons:
- It is deep enough to fit a 3x plastic lens, like this one:
https://illuminationsupply.com/led-optics-c-52_33/carclo-10508-100mm-frosted-medium-array-p-146.html#.UaNPdbWG3h4

- Based on past experiments, being inset still gives me a floody output, but with light concentrated in a smaller output cone (angle-wise). So the output is more narrow than simply having the LED's in the top surface of the heatsink. I tried the LED's simply set on the surface of the heatsink (I have 4x LED's like that in my lathe), and I am never doing that again, as I feel too much light is wasted.

So besides having the smaller output angle/cone of light, it also gave me the option of trying out the 3x lens for an even more narrow light beam/coverage/cone. After trying it both ways, I much preferred the nice and even coverage I got without the 3x lens, so that is how I am using it now (basically, given the nearly 1000 lumens, even with the frosted 3x lens, it was a tad too bright in the middle, at the distance I wanted to have this head from the work). But if my needs change, I can always just remove the front glass and insert the 3x lens at any time for a more narrow beam.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Excellent mod Will, as you always do. Have you thought about making these for sale?

I had to install the OEM 8" 4-jaw chuck the lathe came with 4-5 years ago.
OMG say it ain't so ... :nana:

Did your lathe make screaming sounds when you ripped off the Set-Tru :devil:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Excellent mod Will, as you always do. Have you thought about making these for sale?
I don't see a market for a 1000 lumen, user-adjustable shop light. I think this one will remain a one-of-a-kind :)

OMG say it ain't so ... :nana:

Did your lathe make screaming sounds when you ripped off the Set-Tru :devil:
If my lathe had tear ducts, I think it would had shed a tear when I took off the high quality Bison and put that awful 8" chuck :shakehead

Everything in that 8" chuck screamed "cheap" and "we don't believe in fitted parts". True, I am used to the Bison, but I could not believe how loose everything was. I might have to hunt for a quality 8" chuck one of these days ;)

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... Everything in that 8" chuck screamed "cheap" and "we don't believe in fitted parts". True, I am used to the Bison, but I could not believe how loose everything was. ...
A forged, best quality 4-jaw is close to the cost of a forged 6-jaw. I went with a cast iron (aka semi-steel) 4-jaw & it does a nice job. Cast iron chucks have a life span shorter than forged but more than long enough for a home shop or small commercial shop.

The jaw contact length (& area) on my 10" 4-jaw are substantially more than my 8" 3-jaw. And the 4-jaw can be final tightened with an 18" Tommy bar slipped over the chuck key, something I see in every machine shop I've visited. They certainly have their place.

Last edited: