your best AA light?

dumb4ever

Newly Enlightened
Anyone here own both Fenix LD20 R5 and Jetbeam RRT0-R5 ?
Can you test on the HIGHEST setting if Jetbeam RRT0-R5 is comparable with Fenix LD20 R5 ? (Using regular AA for both/at least the same AA Battery)

I understand that Fenix is using 2AA so maybe not in the same class, but the specs says 180 Lumens for both, so i'm kindda curious.

Thank You

macnoodle

Newly Enlightened
Anyone here own both Fenix LD20 R5 and Jetbeam RRT0-R5 ?
Can you test on the HIGHEST setting if Jetbeam RRT0-R5 is comparable with Fenix LD20 R5 ? (Using regular AA for both/at least the same AA Battery)

I understand that Fenix is using 2AA so maybe not in the same class, but the specs says 180 Lumens for both, so i'm kindda curious.

Thank You

It's not! The LD20 R5 is brighter. And this is not estimating by eye, I measured it with a light meter. The RRT-0 with AA battery did not come close to 180 ANSI lumens. Now, I did the measurement with NiMH batteries, because that is the way I intend to use my lights. It's possible that the RRT-0 is a lot brighter with lithium primary in it, but I didn't test that scenario. Using NiMH batteries, it's noticeably (and measurably) dimmer than the LD20.

dumb4ever

Newly Enlightened
So if I understand you correctly the RRT0 with AA is definitely dimmer than LD20, and using NiMH is still dimmer ?
Btw, did you use Eneloop ?

Btw macnoodle, does your RRT0 use OP or Smooth reflector ?

Thanks macnoodle.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I measured it with a light meter...

light meter or a light sphere?

Im not arguing that the Fenix may be brighter than the RRT-0, Im just saying that there are many variables in play to be reliably compared with a light meter... And especially to come up with ANSI lumens.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Two current favorites are the SC50w+ and the QMini AA warm.
Glad to see another vote for the very small, versatile and inexpensive MiNi AA warm tint. Regardless of price, they have the most perfect beam pattern, spread, uniformity of tint, smoothness of transition zones of any light I've ever had. If I could have that exact tint and beam pattern in every light I've got I'd be one very happy flashaholic!

macnoodle

Newly Enlightened
So if I understand you correctly the RRT0 with AA is definitely dimmer than LD20, and using NiMH is still dimmer ?
Btw, did you use Eneloop ?

Btw macnoodle, does your RRT0 use OP or Smooth reflector ?

Thanks macnoodle.

Smooth reflector, and yes, the RRT-0 was dimmer (at least my example was). It was also dimmer than my LD10 R4 (which apparently puts out about 170+ lumens OTF).

light meter or a light sphere?

Im not arguing that the Fenix may be brighter than the RRT-0, Im just saying that there are many variables in play to be reliably compared with a light meter... And especially to come up with ANSI lumens.

I wasn't measuring lumens, I was comparing brightness. I don't need a light sphere to compare brightness. The LD20 R5 puts out 180 ANSI lumens, the RRT-0 R5 clearly doesn't. It might put out 180 *emitter* lumens, but not ANSI, and not likely OTF, since it's dimmer than my LD10 R4.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Glad to see another vote for the very small, versatile and inexpensive MiNi AA warm tint. Regardless of price, they have the most perfect beam pattern, spread, uniformity of tint, smoothness of transition zones of any light I've ever had. If I could have that exact tint and beam pattern in every light I've got I'd be one very happy flashaholic!

I guess im going to have to break down and pickup a warm Mini if the tint and beam are this good. I have a couple of the first gen Minis in AA,123, and CR2 but they dont get much use anymore as I am much more of a warm tint fan nowadays. I did pick up some of Shaos GITD film and that has breathed new life into my Mini as an in-the-tent light tho!

I wasn't measuring lumens, I was comparing brightness. I don't need a light sphere to compare brightness. The LD20 R5 puts out 180 ANSI lumens, the RRT-0 R5 clearly doesn't. It might put out 180 *emitter* lumens, but not ANSI, and not likely OTF, since it's dimmer than my LD10 R4.

Your post said "The RRT-0 with AA battery did not come close to 180 ANSI lumens" which sounds as if you are "measuring lumens". :shrug: I dont have an LD20 so I cant even "compare brightness" so again, Im not arguing. I was just adding to the conversation that things like the beam profile will make a difference in perceived output as well as "measured with a light meter" output. Its possible for a light to have greater output in a light sphere yet appear "dimmer" in comparison with eyes or when measuring lux on a hotspot on the wall. We can agree on that, right?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I guess im going to have to break down and pickup a warm Mini if the tint and beam are this good. I have a couple of the first gen Minis in AA,123, and CR2 but they dont get much use anymore as I am much more of a warm tint fan nowadays. I did pick up some of Shaos GITD film and that has breathed new life into my Mini as an in-the-tent light tho!
Someone wanting more throw may not like the beam pattern as much as I do, but I would have kept my Haiku if it had a beam pattern like my MiNi AA and I'd pay good money to have someone find the exact right reflector to mod my Clicky's with to give them the same pattern.

Just a note of caution - a lot of people find the 7x emitters too warm for their tastes. Myself, I find the 5x's too cool and think the 6x is the perfect medium. That said, the rosy tinted warm MiNi's that many disliked are my personal favorite and my brother flipped when he saw one. Took it back to England with him too!

I just helped a friend replace the 170 he lost a couple weeks ago with a 140 and he really likes the warm MiNi enough that he's now considering buying my warm CR123 MiNi.

macnoodle

Newly Enlightened
Your post said "The RRT-0 with AA battery did not come close to 180 ANSI lumens" which sounds as if you are "measuring lumens". :shrug: I dont have an LD20 so I cant even "compare brightness" so again, Im not arguing. I was just adding to the conversation that things like the beam profile will make a difference in perceived output as well as "measured with a light meter" output. Its possible for a light to have greater output in a light sphere yet appear "dimmer" in comparison with eyes or when measuring lux on a hotspot on the wall. We can agree on that, right?

Sure, but I wasn't shining the light at the meter to compare brightness. For the same reason that I didn't do a visual comparison of the light beams - because both would be worthless! :)

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Someone wanting more throw may not like the beam pattern as much as I do, but I would have kept my Haiku if it had a beam pattern like my MiNi AA and I'd pay good money to have someone find the exact right reflector to mod my Clicky's with to give them the same pattern.

Just a note of caution - a lot of people find the 7x emitters too warm for their tastes. Myself, I find the 5x's too cool and think the 6x is the perfect medium. That said, the rosy tinted warm MiNi's that many disliked are my personal favorite and my brother flipped when he saw one. Took it back to England with him too!

I just helped a friend replace the 170 he lost a couple weeks ago with a 140 and he really likes the warm MiNi enough that he's now considering buying my warm CR123 MiNi.

Im not looking for throw out of a mini light... Perfect beam and nice rosy tint is what Im looking for in a Mini light! I havent been on 4sevens in a while and just headed over ready to pick one up and to my dismay, NONE LEFT. Drat, I guess thats what "Limited run" means... Guess Im going to have to look for someone on the MP that thought it was too warm for them!

Sure, but I wasn't shining the light at the meter to compare brightness. For the same reason that I didn't do a visual comparison of the light beams - because both would be worthless! :)

Agreed! :thumbsup:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore D10 (+ Ku's Titanium host), although it doesn't answer OP's question of finding it in the current market.
Quark AA Tactical

Others:
Quark MiNi AA
Nitecore Defender Infinity
Zebralight H501
Zebralight H51

Polklifer

Newly Enlightened
4Sevens Quark AA² Turbo with a warm white head. It is just a wonderful combination of runtime, output, and UI. It makes the world look pretty. I took it up into the High Uintas last summer and couldn't turn it off. I recently got a Sunwayman V20A and it's a pretty slick light too.

mrlysle

Enlightened
My two favorites are my Zebralight SC51, and my Fenix LD10. Both work great, have near perfect beams, and seem to love my Eneloops! :wave:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I am going to have to throw in a vote for the Inova X1 version 4. Not super bright but it has good flood and throw, simple, feels good.
Lumapower Trust 1 if it were not so big. Thinking of selling it.
Nitecore D10 has served me faithfully but looking for something smaller as I wanted one for a keychain.