Your opinion on digital cameras that use Ni-Mh battery packs

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I have the canon SX 150 I think, it works great and takes 2 AA's. It runs for a while on eneloops, don't believe the reviews that say it only gets 50 shots per 2 eneloops because I have gotten much more, I believe I have seen this camera on sale for $99 recently in some sale ads. The only drawback is you have to flip the flash up manually when you want to use it but this is not a dealbreaker at all.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops, your right. my mistake.

Like is say, i haven't noticed anything about new digital cameras. mine is so old, it doesn't even have a zoom feature and if you try to take 3 pictures in a row, it slows down and the screen turns blue with a hourglass icon and it says processing. they had some DSLR cameras that used 4 AA's. i'm not looking for an over expensive camera.

Also, when it comes to DSLRs, most of them use Li-Ion batteries. But most of those that use Li-Ion batteries offer the option of a battery grip that can use AA batteries.

vali

Enlightened
I am abou to buy a new compact camera. I need something with good IQ that can be strapped to a belt. The first thing I searched for was a camera with AA batteries. Unfortunately there is none that can do decent pics (to my standards, of course). I am talking about the technical side of things. Artistically all of them would be bad, since the photographer (me) is unskilled :D

I'll probably buy a Fuji X20. The batteries are NP-50 wich are used by several camera model and can be found very cheap.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It charged thru a usb port. So if i'm in the woods and the battery runs down do i find a usb plug on tree trunk? run home to charge it? waste 36 dollars for another battery? and i have to have the same exact battery to replace it with.
what if i loose the usb cable or it the usb cable stops working?

One option here is any one of the myriad of available solar phone chargers. Most of them have a female USB plug, and can essentially charge any device that uses a USB connection.

SemiMan

Banned
Also, when it comes to DSLRs, most of them use Li-Ion batteries. But most of those that use Li-Ion batteries offer the option of a battery grip that can use AA batteries.

The camera uses Li-Ion, but most of the time when I am using flash it is an external flash so the battery in my DSLR last 400-500 shots or more. My biggest concern is leaving it charged and losing capacity. Then again, if you can afford/justify the DSLR and some lenses, the second battery is usually less of an issue as well.

SemiMan

Banned
One option here is any one of the myriad of available solar phone chargers. Most of them have a female USB plug, and can essentially charge any device that uses a USB connection.

If it is daytime and the sun is shining when you realize the batteries are dead.

What I wish is that digital cameras went the way of most cell-phones and used the USB as the charge connection (many just use for data) ... though I have noticed that lots are plugging into USB for the power connection opposite the camera even though they use a proprietary power connection at the camera. There are quite a few cheap devices that you can pop AA's into and that will charge a USB device.