Zebralight 18650 confusion

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider an edc light an "up close" room lighter. In fact all of my edc's have diffusion film on them to make them floodier. If I need throw I get a bigger light that can handle the output for an extended period of time.

A better question is where does one buy a Zebralight? All of the regular vendors seem to be out of stock.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I typically order from Zebralight directly, since they are here in the US I typically get the light within 3-5 days or 2 days if I pay for the priority mail shipping. I've had good luck this way and if the item is back ordered you can still order it and receive it within 1-3 weeks whenever they get another shipment in.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you actually tried an 1100+ lumen pocket light? Once you've actually tried it, the extra light is actually quite refreshing. Also a light, like the SC600w III HI throws much further than the SC62d, if you're looking at anything in the distance.

Of course it could be personal preference. I tend to gravitate towards mini pocket rockets. My current EDC is a modded Sunwayman C10R that produces around 2500 lumens ... and it's smaller than any of the 18650 Zebras.

I actually have the SC62w, SC62d, and SC62c. The SC62w may not be 1100+ lumens. But it is around 900-1000 lumens. And the truth is that I find I really don't need this much light alot of the time. Most of the time, the 320 lumens of the SC62c is enough. And the 4000K tint is nice outdoors. If I need more light, I can always grab the SC62w. Or I can grab one of my multi-emitter Nichia 219 lights.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I love my SC5 so much, I want an 18650.
But I'm confusing myself on the models.
I don't expect anyone to do my homework, but is there a concise explanation of the models anywhere?

If not, I'll just go through them and compare, no big deal.
(Not interested in the SC600 Mk III, I don't care to use unprotected cells.)

Thanks. :)
You should really read up on li-ion. Saying you won't use un-protected cells is a bit like saying you won't use a car that runs on petrol/gas.

Un protected cells can be perfectly fine. But well worth learning the differences available.

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
You should really read up on li-ion. Saying you won't use un-protected cells is a bit like saying you won't use a car that runs on petrol/gas.

Un protected cells can be perfectly fine. But well worth learning the differences available.

I'm sure you didn't mean to belittle my personal opinion of not caring to use unprotected cells...and meant that to be helpful.
Thanks for the advice to do more research...very helpful indeed.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I used to use orbtronic protected 18650 3400 mAh batteries in my sc62 and sc63w, but noticed the button tops were getting pushed in due to the tight fit. I emailed zebralight and they suggested I use the unprotected sanyos they sell on their site. There was quite a battery rattle, but after buying the pvc wrap suggested by members on here and wrapping them (really easy, I did it in a few min using a blow dryer), the batteries fit perfectly.

I used to use be afraid to use unprotected cells but because zebralight builds protection into the light, and I've used the unprotected Sanyos for a while now, I think they are a good choice, but that's just my 2 cents. The protected cells worked fine, I just didn't want the button pushed in. Plus if I want to finally pull the trigger and get on the waiting list for the sc600 mkiii hi, at least I have compatible batteries ready for it.

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Ha! After reading how everyone loves the mkiii's , I'm about convinced to go that route. :)
Could use more throw as an alternative to my SC5 anyway.

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! After reading how everyone loves the mkiii's , I'm about convinced to go that route. :)
Could use more throw as an alternative to my SC5 anyway.

Thanks for all the helpful posts!

Best of luck and keep us updated :) Which MK3 model are you going with?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you didn't mean to belittle my personal opinion of not caring to use unprotected cells...and meant that to be helpful.
Thanks for the advice to do more research...very helpful indeed.
Certainly no offence meant :)

But it seems the default position is, when someone doesn't understand something, to say they'll not or never use them.

There are reasons why you may want to use protected cells, but it's actually worth understanding those reasons as much as anything else. However there are also perfectly valid reasons why you may not want a protected cell, and indeed, in some cases certain types of Li-ion cannot even be had with protection circuits. But they can be perfectly acceptable to use.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I prefer to use IMR cells and am glad that Zebralight has built in over discharge circuitry.