Zebralight H600 MK II (Spot and Fill) vs H600F (Floody) vs H602 (no reflector) beams

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry at this time are not able to respond with accuracy.
Maybe in the next few days I check - but this time my free time is very limited

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I have an H600Fw MKII and I've been loving it all summer. I made the decision based on this thread. Now, I'm trying to figure out if H600 will be of any significant benefit for a thrower or should I start looking into other brands of lights for a good thrower? If I'm buying a headlight for distance, I need it to really throw well for me to justify a second light to close that gap between a floody H600Fw which already has a good throw for a floody.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an H600Fw MKII and I've been loving it all summer. I made the decision based on this thread. Now, I'm trying to figure out if H600 will be of any significant benefit for a thrower or should I start looking into other brands of lights for a good thrower? If I'm buying a headlight for distance, I need it to really throw well for me to justify a second light to close that gap between a floody H600Fw which already has a good throw for a floody.

The H600w has a longer throw of the version Fw.
I can not specify exactly how much more, I guess about 15-20 meters.
I own both lights but I've never done measurements.
I can only say that the H600 is effective up to about 70 meters (real) - The range of H600Fw is lower, perhaps about 50 meters

(Translate with google)

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went out and took some pictures and a few tests.
The difference in throw between the two headlamp is quite sensitive.

To better see the details of the animated photo - right click - view image - enlarge

yJkIUd.gif

Same scenario but photos taken in different position.

y5t7vg.gif

The H600w has a decent throw almost like a torch that is held in one hand.

Next image: Fenix PD35 (year 2013 850 lumens) vs Zebralight H600w L2 - Tree distance: 95 meters

Q71E25.gif

Here in this photo the two Headlamp with tree 95 meters away the picture quality is not high (high humidity), but with the H600Fw you can not see the tree

DYm8TQ.gif

This photo is of poor quality, sorry..

70oZhJ.gif

@mega_lumens
If you are still happy with the Zebra H600Fw but but want more throw the H600w may be the right choice.

P58YVC.jpg

(Translate with Google Translator)

Last edited:

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Nice photos! Do you own any Spark lights? I'm curious to see how they compare in throw compared to H600 MK II?

FloridaGuy

Newly Enlightened
For those that have experimented with putting tape over the H600 or H600w to eliminate the hot spot for reading or other purposes, have you tried using a double or triple or x layer of tape or other film to see if that flattens the beam pattern even more? The reduction in lumens would probably not matter for reading purposes and other up-close work. I would try it on my H600 myself but I gave it to my daughter to take away to school and I'm in need of a replacement.

It would be really nice if they would just come out with a removable flip-down diffuser so that a person could easily bounce between spot and flood modes.

Thanks to those who have contributed so generously to this thread.

solars

Newly Enlightened
@Stefano, since you did a lot of comparisons:

I'm looking for a better headlamp for: ski touring (uphill and downhill again), mountain biking - I'm unsure if I should get the 600w or 600Fw (neutral white).
What do you recommend for this purpose? The 600w seems to be very flexible with the tape.

Another question: Did anyone try to use "better" diffusors than the tape? There are clips etc for other lights, maybe this works even better if
you modify it? It would also be a more robust solution

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm looking for a better headlamp for: ski touring (uphill and downhill again), mountain biking - I'm unsure if I should get the 600w or 600Fw (neutral white).
What do you recommend for this purpose? The 600w seems to be very flexible with the tape.

Another question: Did anyone try to use "better" diffusors than the tape? There are clips etc for other lights, maybe this works even better if
you modify it? It would also be a more robust solution

Can't answer the first question because I don't have any H600 light.

DC-fix is a popular diffuser here. Clip for the light? Some people use the H502/H52 clip on their H600.

UnderPar

Enlightened
I like the floody light. . . But if I am to purchase one, I will get the H600 MKII L2 and install a film to make it floody. I can easily remove it if I don't need it. lovecpf

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello Solar
I am familiar with the Zebralight but I've never skied so not sure which model is most suitable.
H600Fw is better as visual (wider)
H600w allows better visual as throw, if you go very fast on skis maybe this version is better.
I think it's nice to have both models ;-)
If you can buy one just go with H600w and you will not be disappointed.
I think skiing or biking H600w is the ideal, especially if you go very fast

An alternative is to use two lights, I do most of my trips I was fine even using H602w + H600w or H600w + H502w
A positioned in front and the other on his neck hanging from his headband
This combination assures you a truly excellent visibility!
The H502w is cheap and alongside the H600w is a great complement

(Translate with Google)

Last edited:

K31Scout

Newly Enlightened
I had to stop in here and thank Stefano for all the comparisons. I just got the H600Fw and will be using it all winter outside where there is snow for another 5 months. I'll work on some beam shots while plowing snow on my ATV and cross country in the woods.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't the tape burn especially on the highest setting?

Sorry
I've never done tests in H1 for a long time.
Some users on the Italian forum told me that with the Magic tape there is no heat problem (but I do not guarantee this)
(Translate with Google)

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to stop in here and thank Stefano for all the comparisons. I just got the H600Fw and will be using it all winter outside where there is snow for another 5 months. I'll work on some beam shots while plowing snow on my ATV and cross country in the woods.

We look forward to your pictures in the snow :)
Even your impressions of use but I'm sure you'll be satisfied, H600Fw is also excellent to work

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry
I've never done tests in H1 for a long time.
Some users on the Italian forum told me that with the Magic tape there is no heat problem (but I do not guarantee this)
(Translate with Google)

Oh okay thanks for the info!

mobi

Newly Enlightened
For those that have experimented with putting tape over the H600 or H600w to eliminate the hot spot for reading or other purposes, have you tried using a double or triple or x layer of tape or other film to see if that flattens the beam pattern even more? The reduction in lumens would probably not matter for reading purposes and other up-close work.

I've used parafilm and DC fix for diffusion on the H600w Mk II and the H52w. Parafilm has the quality of sticking and of having things stick to it without being sticky like tape. I've fine tuned the beam pattern of Zebralights that have hotspots by layering bits and pieces of parafilm on the lens. I've also experimented with using wisps from cotton balls to shape the beam -- the cotton sticks to the parafilm. Using these techniques, you can adjust the flatness to your taste.