Zebralight or Fenix? Long runtime needed

Gil P.

Newly Enlightened
GilP: We have good experience with Keeppower 18650. Bought maybe two thousands of them already directly from Keeppower and all work fine. If I remember right, one battery was dead on arrival, but I would say its good score. I measured capacity multiple times and they are correct.

3_gun: Its little more complicated. Batteries are good quality and poor quality. Good quality ones (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG, Sanyo) have declared capacity spot on and stable performance between all cells. We never ever had any problems with these brand cells and we used thousands of them in our products. Different story is when using protected cells - then it heavily depends on the quality of protected circuit (resistance, discharging, long-term reliablity) and the quality of the bare cell.

Your observation with high lumens probably means that the light is direct driven (so the cell with lesser resistance give more ampers=more lumens) or needs huge current which is too high for normal cells. There are standard cells (<10A) and high current cells. It can make large difference in these direct driven or high lumen lights but thats probably not OP´s case as he needs just 10-1000 lumens.
I've never heard of Keeppower, but I'll give them a try. Are they made as well as the more recognizable brands like Samsung, Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony and LG?

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
I've never heard of Keeppower, but I'll give them a try. Are they made as well as the more recognizable brands like Samsung, Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony and LG?
Samsung, Panasonic,Sanyo,Sony and LG make exclusively just unprotected cells. They do not make protected ones because its too small market for them to even bother. They produce unprotected cells which are widely used in automotive, laptops etc and this is large business, much larger than flashlights use.

Other companies like Keeppower, Fenix, Enerpower... whatever-power make just protected, sometimes they use genuine unprotected cells from renowned companies mentioned in paragraph above and sometimes they use lower quality from various small chinese manufacturers. So Its hard to tell, you could find this information in various online reviews (eg. https://lygte-info.dk ) or ask the seller. We used just few types of Keeppower protected cells and I asked them before ordering what is the cell inside.