Zebralight SC32 & SC32w are on their way...

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight SC32 & SC32w are on their way...

The lights you describe are in a totally different class then the ZL. Zebralight makes Chinese built low/mid range lights with lower quality materials and frequent quality control issues. They do not have the greatest warranty service either. Both the others are high end US made brands with very little QC issues and excellent warranty service if you do happen to have any issues(especially the HDS, it would be hard to find a better quality light from a better company).

I agree that Surefire and HDS are in a totally different class. They're very high-end lights, built for the professional user with reliability the number one priority. The downside is because reliability was the top priority these lights maybe heavier and have lower output compared to more cutting edge brands.

However, I don't agree that Zebralight is "low/mid range". To me "low" end lights mean budget lights. A typical example of a light in this category is the Sipik 68 and its clones: Costs as little as $3. Will have a dated emitter, very simple driver, no thermal grease under the star, cheap type II anodize, etc. It will probably work... but if it doesn't it's so cheap just throw it out and get a new one. You could literally buy a hundred of them for the price of one HDS!

Zebralights cost $64-$95. That's definitely far above the "low" spectrum of light. And puts them squarely in the mid-to-high end range. They're the same quality level as other mid/high end lights like Fenix, Sunwayman, Thrunite, etc. Zebralights also pack an impressive number of features that are simply unavailable on most other lights. Zebralights were clearly designed with size in mind: Getting the brightest reasonable output in the smallest possible package.

Zebralights do feature many high-end features and some unique features: HAIII anodizing, single-piece unibody pill-less construction for good thermal management, thermal grease under the driver/star, fully potted driver, unique e-switch interface, AR coated lenses, thermal sensor with automatic rampdown, etc.

Zebralights also tend to be quite innovative. For instance, a few years ago Zebralight released the S6330, a light that had 3 XMLs and was powered by 3x 18650 cells. It cost a few hundred dollars, but had the unique distinction of being by far the safest multi-lithium ion light ever made. Even today ... a few years later ... nobody else has ever marketed a safer multi-li-ion cell light. The S6330 was unique in that it had 3 battery bays and each battery powered a matched emitter on a separate circuit. Unlike other multi-18650 lights, it was perfectly safe to stick batteries of different capacities, chemistries and charge levels in the S6330.

Today, Zebralights are a great choice if you're looking for a bright and compact pocket EDC with long battery life. A 980 lumen Zebralight SC62w running on a single 18650 is no larger than a 200 lumen HDS running on a CR123! Personally I consider the Zebralight SC62w to be the very best unmodded pocket EDC currently on the market in any price range.

Some of the newer Zebralights, like the SC62w, are manufactured at Zebralight's plant in Texas. Not all Zebralights are made in China. Also not everything made is China is junk. Some very high quality products are made there (like Apple Computers).

However, because Zebralights were not designed with reliability as the top concern, they're not going to be as reliable as lights designed specifically for that. For instance, the thin aluminum body on a Zebralight is small and compact, but can't compare in durability to the much thicker ... and much heavier ... sidewalls on an HDS.

Regarding the SC32w compared to an HDS rotary:
Even though they run on the same battery, the Zebralight is 2/3 the length and probably half the weight. With the lack of mass of course it won't be as durable as the HDS. On the other hand it WILL disappear into the pocket much more easily when not in use. If reliability isn't critical to your application and you just want a casual EDC pocket light, the Zebralight is probably the better choice.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

Can't wait to see one of these in a hand for reference. I'm still tempted to pull the trigger on one.

mikeylab

Newly Enlightened

The lights you describe are in a totally different class then the ZL. Zebralight makes Chinese built low/mid range lights with lower quality materials and frequent quality control issues. They do not have the greatest warranty service either. Both the others are high end US made brands with very little QC issues and excellent warranty service if you do happen to have any issues(especially the HDS, it would be hard to find a better quality light from a better company).

I already know that surefire and HDS are among the best in industry. i did like my HDS, but I did have to send it back for a problem (which was fixed). I have never had a Surefire product fail on me, and I have had many different models over the years. i was basically just curious to know if zebralight is a decent alternative to a $200+ flashlight, since i need to allocate more $ toward other things at this point. I don't expect it to be bomb proof, just be able to handle a few small bumps and bruises. I am no longer in law enforcement, so I don't have to rely on a flashlight to the extent that I had to in the past. Also, I would much prefer to buy a product from a company that actually helps it's customers if issues arise. HDS was very good about that. I have not had to contact Surefire. I currently have a PEAK LED out for an issue, but it has been 3 weeks since I have heard anything.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent an email asking for an update from Zebralight yesterday. They responded saying they started shipping on the 28th and that the current lead time is 7-15 days if you order now.

I'm still waiting for a shipping notice on my preorder though (I preordered on the first day).

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered an SC32w on 2/25 - no shipping notice on it, yet. Looking forward to getting this little light - back in the day (about 3 ½ years ago) I put an SC31 through a mini torture test and it survived just fine. Sadly, I lost that light. :(

I've had an SC52 and SC52w L2 through the years, but never replaced that SC31 and that size and form factor were my favorites. So this SC32w will hopefully be deja vu 'all over again', only better.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received shipping confirmation today, I should receive it in a few days. :rock:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also received my shipping notice today. I should have the light early next week.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Looking for some pics...

With my RRT01vn

658bebad6af87f2586ab6b21b4da2453.jpg

Excellent light!

Ken

markr6

Flashaholic
Crazy small Ken!!! Any way to put it next to something else? I'm not familiar with that light. Or just holding it in your hand?

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice comparison photo! I'm still waiting, the plane must have broke down and being delivered by horse and buggy???

Latest posts