Zebralight SC5 (1xAA, XM-L2) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to summarize why I think this light does not and should not replace the SC52.

The SC5...

1. is larger.
2. is FAR heavier. I mean, it's 45% heavier than an SC62! (sans battery)
3. will be a pocket shredder and more difficult to take in and out of pocket. This is a major shortcoming to those of us who've had lights with this problem before.

#1 and #2 are the primary reason some people carried an SC52 to begin with. The SC52 is lightweight and small.

The performance of the SC5 is without a doubt EXTREMELY impressive, however, in the real world I think I'd rather EDC the SC52. I have three of them (SC52Ws) already and I think I'll buy another couple to have just in case it's never replaced with something comparable, which the SC5 is not, IMO. I think I'll pick up a couple more SC62Ws too while I'm at it.

Thanks as always for the excellent review, selfbuilt!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to summarize why I think this light does not and should not replace the SC52.

The SC5...

1. is larger.
2. is FAR heavier. I mean, it's 45% heavier than an SC62! (sans battery)
3. will be a pocket shredder and more difficult to take in and out of pocket. This is a major shortcoming to those of us who've had lights with this problem before.

#1 and #2 are the primary reason some people carried an SC52 to begin with. The SC52 is lightweight and small.

The performance of the SC5 is without a doubt EXTREMELY impressive, however, in the real world I think I'd rather EDC the SC52. I have three of them (SC52Ws) already and I think I'll buy another couple to have just in case it's never replaced with something comparable, which the SC5 is not, IMO. I think I'll pick up a couple more SC62Ws too while I'm at it.

Thanks as always for the excellent review, selfbuilt!

Dam. I was loving my SC5, but now I find out its a huge, heavy file...lol.

markr6

Flashaholic
It's nice to have options and that's what Zebralight is giving us. Smaller, lighter, 14500 SC52. Beefier, just-as-bright on a NiMH SC5. Neutral white and cool white in both. Plus a frosted version of all four (soon) for more flood. Take your pick.

There's always something to complain about (look at my posts :)), but I think ZL is making it a bit harder to do.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the SC52 isn't going to be discontinued because of the SC5. I really like my SC52's, but I'm also very much looking forward to my SC5w arriving! I think both have a place.

For pocket-carry, yes, the SC52 sounds better. But a lot of people pocket-carry a SC62, which is longer than the SC5, so I don't see a problem.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the SC52 isn't going to be discontinued because of the SC5. I really like my SC52's, but I'm also very much looking forward to my SC5w arriving! I think both have a place.

For pocket-carry, yes, the SC52 sounds better. But a lot of people pocket-carry a SC62, which is longer than the SC5, so I don't see a problem.

Maybe there will be a super sale to get rid of the SC52...I might pick one up if there is...

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
I to like the sc52 over the sc5 as an edc. Once I got the sc5 I tried to edc it for a few days and went back to the sc52. Then I got the sc32. The sc32 is my edc and the 52 & 5 just sit around. As amazing as the sc5 is the sc32 is just as amazing and tiny. Even smaller than my s10 l2 which I thought was the smallest possible.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to have options and that's what Zebralight is giving us. Smaller, lighter, 14500 SC52. Beefier, just-as-bright on a NiMH SC5. Neutral white and cool white in both. Plus a frosted version of all four (soon) for more flood. Take your pick.

There's always something to complain about (look at my posts :)), but I think ZL is making it a bit harder to do.

Good design, choice of NW emitters, variety, quality machining and workmanship, good customer service, reasonable prices --- it's not difficult to win over new customers and keep existing ones. I recently bought ZL for the first time and I will buy it again. I'm sure of it.

markr6

Flashaholic
Good design, choice of NW emitters, variety, quality machining and workmanship, good customer service, reasonable prices --- it's not difficult to win over new customers and keep existing ones. I recently bought ZL for the first time and I will buy it again. I'm sure of it.

I'm glad they're on a roll. Just a year or so ago, nothing was in stock...like, ALMOST NOTHING for months at a time. They really changed that!

I better stop coming to this thread or I'll re-buy an SC5w :)

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the circuit seems to have trouble knowing what to make of the lower voltage L91 energizer lithium. Basically, with a fresh cell at least, you lose H1, and have a delay before the light will provide the highest H2A (i.e., it seems to come on in H2B instead of H1, then eventually jumps up to H2A).

I thought the energizer lithium primary had a max discharge rating of 3A. Not sure what happens when more is drawn.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad they're on a roll. Just a year or so ago, nothing was in stock...like, ALMOST NOTHING for months at a time. They really changed that!

I better stop coming to this thread or I'll re-buy an SC5w :)

Yes, Zebralight has really seemed to improve over the past year or two, both in quality and inventory. I don't hear of nearly as many tint complaints as a year or two ago, except from you, of course ;)

I'm not sure if customer service has improved, but again, I don't hear many complaints anymore.

My only recent complaint is that they didn't stock illum with the new SC5's, so I had to order directly from ZL to get it. But, ZL gives free shipping, so total price is about the same. Just a longer wait (from China).

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Zebralight has really seemed to improve over the past year or two, both in quality and inventory. I don't hear of nearly as many tint complaints as a year or two ago, except from you, of course ;)

I'm not sure if customer service has improved, but again, I don't hear many complaints anymore.

My only recent complaint is that they didn't stock illum with the new SC5's, so I had to order directly from ZL to get it. But, ZL gives free shipping, so total price is about the same. Just a longer wait (from China).

You did not want to order from a US dealer?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did not want to order from a US dealer?

I usually use Illumn, which is a US dealer (got a couple of Armytek lights on the way from them right now). But, they didn't have the SC5 listed, so I couldn't include it with my other order. I figured ordering directly from Zebralight was the next best thing, but it will take longer to arrive because ZL ships from their China site to Canadian addresses.

I'm not sure if ZL hasn't sent 3rd party retailers their new SC5's, or if the retailer simply isn't planning on selling this light (which would be odd, since they stock many other ZL's).

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually use Illumn, which is a US dealer (got a couple of Armytek lights on the way from them right now). But, they didn't have the SC5 listed, so I couldn't include it with my other order. I figured ordering directly from Zebralight was the next best thing, but it will take longer to arrive because ZL ships from their China site to Canadian addresses.

I'm not sure if ZL hasn't sent 3rd party retailers their new SC5's, or if the retailer simply isn't planning on selling this light (which would be odd, since they stock many other ZL's).

Well, there are other US dealers...might have been faster.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is there a list of US dealers somewhere? I know some dealers nominally carry them but never in stock... I mean never.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered mine from Brightguy...had it in 3 days. Same price $69...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I thought the energizer lithium primary had a max discharge rating of 3A. Not sure what happens when more is drawn.
Yeah, it seems the problem is not the discharge characteristics of L91 lithiums (which are great), but the voltage of the battery. Many lights seem to interpret it as some sort of depleted alkaline cell initially. :shrug: