Zebralight SC52 Owner's Thread

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
It seems that when using Li-ion's the battery meter goes from 4 - 3 - 2 and 1. I've noticed that using eneloops, I'll get 4 flashes with a new battery then soon after without a whole lot of use I'll get 2 or 1 flash. I was at first thinking that the eneloops were running down faster. I'm starting to think now that maybe my battery is not running down faster but it's just more accurate at reading Lithium batteries.

dts71

Newly Enlightened
I have a similar exprience - yesterday I tested my SC52 with a battery that had barely been used and got one flash. My zts battery tester mbt-1 rated it in a 80% charge state. I think it's simply hard to make a meter that regardless of battery type reports correctly.

It seems that when using Li-ion's the battery meter goes from 4 - 3 - 2 and 1. I've noticed that using eneloops, I'll get 4 flashes with a new battery then soon after without a whole lot of use I'll get 2 or 1 flash. I was at first thinking that the eneloops were running down faster. I'm starting to think now that maybe my battery is not running down faster but it's just more accurate at reading Lithium batteries.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
GP ReCyko NiMH LSD AA
SC52H502
TimeBlinksVoltageBlinksVoltage
30 s recovery*3 min recovery*30 s recovery3 min recovery
37.523n/a11n/a

* I started the battery meter on the H502 first, roughly 10 seconds later on the SC52.

This time I used two different GP ReCyko cells, but they are all from the same 4-pack and should have been through about the same number of cycles.

I forgot to measure the voltage at 37.5 min :hairpull:

I don't know what, if any, conclusions can be drawn from this layman's test. Perhaps that four flashes means that you have plenty of juice left in the H502, but not necessarily in the SC52, and one flash means that it's time to recharge.

For me personally, battery indicators on flashlights (unless of such quality that you really can rely on them) are 'bells and whistles' rather than useful features, so I would be just as happy without them.

They are fun to play with though...

Your 30 second recovery column looks pretty close to mine did. It's not perfect but to me it's at least close enough for a rough guess at the state of the battery. I really love the idea of battery gauges on lights, especially ones that regulate well and thus don't provide many hints of impending low battery. Its one of the reasons I chose a PA40 as my car light. That battery meter is also not perfect but it's at least consistent.

Michael S

Newly Enlightened
I ordered and received the sc52 this past week (shipped to and from Texas).

I read about some of the sc52 emitters being slightly off-center in other posts. It looks like the one I got is slightly off center, but I don't plan on trying to return/exchange the light. I thought I would post some pictures anyway (below). The beam profile (hot spot and spill) looks symmetric, so in my opinion the slight off center amount doesn't compromise the light.

Also, I can confirm that the sc52 will turn on with a AAA eneloop cell. And I've noticed that after moderate use with my aa rechargables (sony cycle energy 2100mAh – those came with a charger that I bought recently), the sc52's battery indicator will flash 1 or 2 times even if significant charge remains. Then if I initiate the battery indicator a while later 30mins or 1hour, it will flash 3 or 4 times. I don't really know what to conclude from that observation.

Pictures:

The emitter appears slightly off center (shifted more towards the side of the pcb with the white squares). The last picture in my post is more convincing because it looks like I might have taken this picture slightly off center (oh well):
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/doncahpurr/emitter_zpsf128dc9f.jpg

The off centered-ness is more apparent if I use an aspheric lens to focus the emitter onto the wall:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/doncahpurr/method_zps803b5c3f.jpg

The image of the emitter is closer to the top left of the beam pattern:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/doncahpurr/focusedbeam_zps6e83c213.jpg

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

stp

Newly Enlightened
Guys to understand some problems with battery monitor you have to understand battery chemistries.
-Ni-mhs have very flat voltage discharge curve. It's practically impossible to tell from the voltage the remaining capacity of Ni-mh. All the battery testers and monitors can only more or less only guess.
-Alkalines and Ni-mhs drop voltage under load. It will rise back if you give it some rest.
-Battery monitor with ni-mh is more a toy than a tool. Even the best chargers on the market like MAHA can't tell you the remaining capacity without discharging the ni-mh.
-If you want to have the most precise reading you should use the 14500 li-ion.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's practically impossible to tell from the voltage the remaining capacity of
that's why i like nitecore's battery indicator. the flashes encode the voltage: * * * - * * * * * * * * = means 3.8V
so the user of 2200mAh's vs 3400mAh's must know by himself how much ..

bansuri

Enlightened
It seems like just reporting the voltage can give the best info across the wide range of batteries this light accepts.
I've been carrying my old Liteflux LF-2 and MJP Extreme III and use the voltage indicator to get a rough idea of battery condition.
At this point I'm hoping that by the time they release the other tints they will have fixed some of these little issues as they've done in the past.

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine from the postman! Yupi!!! I cant wait to test it in thecountryside! My sc52(nice to say) doesnt flicker at all but the led is slightly off center, like a very tiny bit. :)

Cheers!!

sanbarry

Newly Enlightened
Been using ZebraLight SC52 for about two weeks. Bought it from Torch Direct, running a Costco 1900 mAh blue Eneloop.

This is my first ZebraLight, and so far I really like it.

Upgraded from a Leatherman LGX 200 (Flashlight Fenix L1T v2) as a new EDC. Bought it mostly for walking the dog at night on the sidewalk in a suburban environment.

I found the scalloped ridges make the flashlight easy to hold, the tint to be a slightly warm, the beam smooth, and the flashlight easy to carry in my pocket.

I use my thumb pad to operate the switch. The switch has never accidentally turned on.

The UI took about an hour of practice to get used to, as I was accustomed to a clicky. The Fenix only had two modes, so the SC52 seems to have a wealth of modes.

I really like the battery capacity indicator feature. No more leaving the house with a run down battery.

I would definitely purchase the SC52 again, and am looking forward to the 3-AA model.

scaramanga

Newly Enlightened
Had mine for about a month now. My fave edc light so far! I don't need to list the reasons why since we all know what makes the SC52 so great. Instead, here's a pic along with its big brother SC600w V2.

P1160007_zps17aadd4e.jpg

definitely a keeper, these two.

spc smith

Enlightened
I use a Eagletac 1X 14500 battery. The battery indicator on mine has worked perfect at least to me in determining how much is left. The low low 00.36 lumen setting works with a completely dead battery, very impressively for more than 5 hrs on my SC52. This I consider to be my new EDC and SURVIVALIST light. Its incredibly small and packs quite a punch with regular aa's or lithium source aa's.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of getting one of these, although I'm torn between this and the HC31 [edit: H31C] (forward beam at tail stand). It's encouraging to see selfbuilt list it as one of his favorites.

Last edited:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of getting one of these, although I'm torn between this and the HC31 (forward beam at tail stand). It's encouraging to see selfbuilt list it as one of his favorites.

You mean the H31C? I love the Zebralight headlamp capable lights. I have the H51, and for hands free use it can't be beat. I can pocket carry it, and using the clip I can clip it on my shirt and angle the beam so I get light where I want it. Or I can put it down, laying on its side, then I can rotate the clip to get the beam at the angle I want. I highly recommend that everyone get a H version Zebralight. Even without the headband it is still highly usable hands free.

With that said I do have the SC52. With a 14500 battery this thing rocks, 500 lumens for a minute then 280. Very easy to pocket carry, no accidental turning on yet. Feels nice in hand. Right now I edc it instead of the H51, just because the brightness is so much brighter. But there have been times I wish it had a side beam with a rotatable clip. Hope that helps.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Eagletac 1X 14500 battery.... The low low 00.36 lumen setting works with a completely dead battery, very impressively for more than 5 hrs on my SC52....

Hmmm--isn't there a chance that you might accidentally by-pass the light's built-in low-voltage cut-off, and over-drain your 14500, leading to permanent damage to the battery?

I'm not sure if that's a real danger, but I'd watch out for it, or see whether some of the more knowledgable electronics-wizards around here chime in.

Other than that: agreed--it's an awesome light, and I too like the low lows!

henry1960

Enlightened
Hmmm--isn't there a chance that you might accidentally by-pass the light's built-in low-voltage cut-off, and over-drain your 14500, leading to permanent damage to the battery?

I'm not sure if that's a real danger, but I'd watch out for it, or see whether some of the more knowledgable electronics-wizards around here chime in.

Other than that: agreed--it's an awesome light, and I too like the low lows!

A protected battery will shut down at cutoff..No need to worry abought damaging your battery...I think he was talking abought a alkaline battery.
But a good protected 14500 battery (AW, Sanyo ) ect they will cut off at abought 2.5 volts.

lightliker

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for about 2 weeks now. The experience has been mostly like Lighteous's above. I ran one Eneloop through it and the rest of the time it's been 14500's (from ZL). While I just love to see that little thing chug up 500 lumens the most used setting is 108 lumens. Lots of light and burn time. It's like carrying a feather compared to the SC600 that's been in my pocket for the last 15 months. I miss the great runtimes with lots of light that the SC600 gives but it's only theoretical since the SC52 is plenty for a single battery. The SC52 had done well for after dark walks, finding stuff in the dark, and even becomes a marker light.

I have not tried a lithium primary in it yet. Anybody have a report on that?
That's why I baught a S20 Olight because of the use of one 18650 or twoCR123's AND its compactness (much lighter and especially thinner than the SC600).
The SC600mkII however will be one of the lights I will order in the direct future, it's still awesome (and heavy) :D

Phry

Banned
Hi all,

Like most of you on this thread, I have and love the SC52! I was wondering about the lowest low setting though. I have mine programmed to come on at the second lowest, which is usable at very close range.

What do you guys use the lowest setting for? What could it be used for?

Locating the light itself is about the only thing I can think of.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you guys use the lowest setting for? What could it be used for?

Locating the light itself is about the only thing I can think of.

I tried using the lowest low for night time location. It was just too dim to see. But my room is dark not pitch black. So I don't use the lowest low. But I am happy it is there. This way I know I don't need a lower low. I would rather have the option and not use it then vice versa.

Btw, It seems that the lows are actually lower then the lumens Zebralight stated. Which is why the runtimes might seem higher then the other top manufacturers.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the sc52w available anywhere yet?.
is it awaiting arrival like the sc600w?. lol.

would it make sense carrying both the sc52w, and the sc600wMkII together?. the sc52w in my shirt pocket?.

thanks,