Zebralight SC52 & SC52w

[size=5]Are you looking into :thinking: buying the Zebralight [b]SC52[/b]?[/size]

• [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i pre-ordered it! :nana:[/size]

Votes: 74 17.7%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i ordered it. :grin2:[/size]

Votes: 114 27.3%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], i [i]am[/i] going to order it sooner or later. Count me in yet! :santa:[/size]

Votes: 140 33.5%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but i am not too sure about it, neither now nor in future. :shrug:[/size]

Votes: 62 14.8%
  • [size=3][b]Yes[/b], but most likely it's [b]not[/b] gonna happen for some reason. :sigh:[/size]

Votes: 28 6.7%

• Total voters

HikingMano

Newly Enlightened
[...]I agree with some of this. I myself actually like to carry a larger light on hikes. [...] On the other hand, I LOVE the very even, floody output of the SC52w. Throw is absolutely NOT important to me when hiking. And, although the SC52w is not nearly as bright as my Mag or EA4, output is certainly sufficient for most hiking needs. I DO tend to use it mainly as a backup light. But I occasionally use it as my primary light if I don't intend to hike at night.

Yup, I intend the same here, once I get mine. I will say I do like having a light for a bit of throw, especially when off-trail or on poorly marked or faint trails. Like in the fall when relatively little used trails are covered with leaves - makes it easier to spot general trail path even with the leaf litter. Is it absolutely crucial most of the time? No. But I like having the ability if needed.

Once, a buddy and I were coming down a mountain on the Lost Coast, back to a base camp. The jeep trail we'd been following just evaporated on us, and it was well after sunset. All I had was my H51w to get down the mountain safely. Though it did the job, I certainly would have loved to have another light that gave a little more throw (I'm assuming the SC52 would have more throw given reflector), especially if I could kick it up to 500 lumens now and again to check we weren't getting too close to a cliff. And at it's size and weight, not too unappealing to carry in addition to my H52w when I know I may be hiking at night, even given my UL-leaning backpacking mindset.

Otherwise, totally agree: SC52w-L2 certainly sufficient for most hiking needs, but I, too, intend to use it mainly as backup (or complementary light since I always have H52w on me when out). Even when out specifically for night hiking, moonlight or lower levels on H51/H52 have been sufficient in general, with throwy/brighter lights along for play or specific tasks.

Yeah! Me too! Where to order it from?

I have been watching these on ebay (seller: btzqabc) for a while now and have been debating ordering a set. Good to know he's here at the Marketplace, even better pricing. Do most folks think it'll fit the SC52w L2 without a problem? I'm assuming it'd be fine, but you know what they say about assuming.

Btw, madkap, great pictures, thanks!

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between the two is a change in the UI.

SC52w

• Short click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
  • Long click (press and hold for about 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low.
    • Short click turns on the light to High. Short click again quickly to cycle from High to Medium, and Low.

• Press and hold to cycle from Low, Medium and High, release to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in
    • This light uses the main LED (flashing 1 to 4 times) to indicate the estimated remaining capacity of the battery. To start the battery indicator, (from Off) short-click 4 times without pause

SC52w-L2
  • One short-click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
  • Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
  • Three short-click turns on the light to the beacon-strobe mode.
  • Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

SC52w

• Short click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
  • Long click (press and hold for about 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low.
    • Short click turns on the light to High. Short click again quickly to cycle from High to Medium, and Low.
    • Press and hold to cycle from Low, Medium and High, release to set. When press and hold, the light always cycle from Low to High regardless which level you are currently in
    • This light uses the main LED (flashing 1 to 4 times) to indicate the estimated remaining capacity of the battery. To start the battery indicator, (from Off) short-click 4 times without pause

SC52w-L2
  • Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
  • Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.

After one has pressed and held to reach one of three levels, a quick double click will go to the alternate setting for that level. I am guessing (and hoping) that still applies to the newer user interface.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
After one has pressed and held to reach one of three levels, a quick double click will go to the alternate setting for that level. I am guessing (and hoping) that still applies to the newer user interface.
Yes, that's still the same.

There are also three alternative brightnesses for high and low that you can cycle through after turning the light on to the mode you want to change the secondary brightness on, which is accessed by clicking 12 times.

On my SC600w-L2 it only works on high and low, but not medium.

Etsu

Enlightened
There are also three alternative brightnesses for high and low that you can cycle through after turning the light on to the mode you want to change the secondary brightness on, which is accessed by clicking 12 times.

On my SC600w-L2 it only works on high and low, but not medium.

Seriously? They removed the programmable medium mode in the new interface???

bgm307

Newly Enlightened
Seriously? They removed the programmable medium mode in the new interface???

I just got the SC600 MKII L2 and it's just like that. I can't get medium to cycle through the choices. High and low work as they should.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question:

When you order/pre-order the light from the Zebralight website AND you're ordering from a non-US location, will the product get shipped directly from China? And how is the package labeled, i.e. the amounts of US-dollars declared on the green CUSTOMS DECLARATION CN23 sticker?

Does it really say "64$"?

edit: btw it is confirmed info that in the new L2 versions again there is "No reverse polarity protection in the SC52, H52, H502, etc.".

Last edited:

aberson

Newly Enlightened
Paraphrased and emphasized:
SC52w

SC52w-L2

I was surprised here for a moment thinking the new UI took away the ability to cycle between modes in the H>M>L direction. After looking at the 2 users manuals, I think I understand now that the old UI's ability to cycle between modes with a short click was only available immediately after turning the light on anyway ("quickly"). So it's actually not a huge loss with the new UI.

If I understand correctly, with either UI, after a few seconds in High if you want to drop to medium you need to turn off and then click twice, or ramp through low.

Impulses

Newly Enlightened
That is correct. You can start up the ramp-up routine without turning it off tho, just press and hold from whatever mode, it always starts off from low.

Only thing the new UI took away was the ability to get to low with a third click after initially turning it on, the long press was always more useful to that end tho. Not a big deal either way, it'll bug some if they triple, click by mistake and it'll delight others who sought easier access to strobes.

LlF

Newly Enlightened
Question:

When you order/pre-order the light from the Zebralight website AND you're ordering from a non-US location, will the product get shipped directly from China? And how is the package labeled, i.e. the amounts of US-dollars declared on the green CUSTOMS DECLARATION CN23 sticker?

edit: btw it is confirmed info that in the new L2 versions again there is "No reverse polarity protection in the SC52, H52, H502, etc.".

im curious about this as well. I want to buy a sc52 which is in stock now.

from my experience if it's send via regular mail, canada post here never charge for customs...

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Question:

I haven't bought from them in a while. My latest ZL was SC52w, I have 3 others from before.
They put a smaller amount on the package IIRC, maybe something like $10-20

Etsu

Enlightened
from my experience if it's send via regular mail, canada post here never charge for customs...

Mostly true. If it's under $20, the rules state you won't get charged for anything extra. Above that, officially Canada Post will charge you a $9.95 brokerage fee, plus GST/HST, and possibly duty tax on top of that. In my experience, they only do that when you get up to around the $100 level, but it's possible they might do it for less.

Still, it's a better deal than UPS or Fedex, which will always charge you, and their brokerage fee is several times higher than $9.95 (unless you pay for it in a higher service delivery option).