Zebralight SC52 (XM-L, 1xAA, 1x14500) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
I am curious to know what Selfbuilt thinks of the pocket clip with regard to the ridges.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I should have one of these in my paws tomorrow, if the USPS is done giving it a tour of the northeast before delivering it... First: DavidMB- while the clip works well, I for one would be thrilled with a subdued clip. Bright honkin' chrome isn't really my thing. Selfbuilt: Thank you yet again for a thorough, objective review that covers so much ground... I'm going to add my unsolicited two cents to the lumens debate here. As long as everyone's beamshapes are different, I really think all a lumens number does is get you in the ballpark. My 200 throwy lumens bear no resembelance to your 200 floody lumens which differ in appearance with your 200 lumens in a bigger/smaller reflector... Beamshape, (proper tool for the job) sufficient output for the task at hand, and efficiency (runtime) are what do it for me. Thank you for trying to keep things comparable for us, but there are a lot of variables, absolute lumen numbers are just one of many. :)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the extra graph on the Lithium primary. I guess I have to retract what I said earlier; compared to the competition the SC51 and SC52 still leave them far back in the dust. The SC52 is very impressive over all even with the L91. Great light, I hope you'll be able to compare this one with the models with the other LEDs when they appear. While I really like this light, I'm sure the neutral and daylight versions will be more my cup of tea as they say. I'm really hoping now though that they hurry up with the SC62, and I hope that they also start using the Nichia 219 HCRI LED in versions of the 18650 and AA lights. I guess I better find your paypal 'donate' button.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
....But I certainly don't feel any sort of offence to any of the comments I've seen - and I think it is important to raise and discuss these issues. Not sure of the best place for it, but I'm fine with leaving it in this thread (along as everyone stays respectful of everyone else). :)

OK there's obviously no point in beating this dead horse any further... I've made my case, will stand by it, and am happy to answer any questions if prompted here, or by PMs. I at least feel that I have gotten some people to question the large differences between some manufacturer's claims, and also a few others to use their DSLRs as objective light meters to prove it to themselves. If anyone else has a DSLR and is interested in using it as an ambient light meter, please PM me, I'd be more than happy to explain how it works, there's a pretty cool trick to it and it is amazing easy to measure any light, any mode, based off of a single calibration. There are quite a few good lights that Selfbuilt has not reviewed, where an ambient light meter might come in handy.

I am happy that Selfbuilt has been so open-minded about this and only feel bad that some think I am questioning his integrity. Once again, if I were in his shoes, I would do exactly the same thing. I know his relative data is good and consistent, and the despite claims of sample variability, I have found my relatively measurements to be very close to his, except that I chose to use a different scale. Adjusted for scale, I have previously come up with nearly the same SC52 measurements down to overspec'd L modes, and even the odd drop off on Li-ions for the L1 mode.

I will continue to use his data as a common base from which to upwardly adjust the lumen specs of competing "conservative" manufacturers for apples-to-apples comparisons with Zebralights, for both myself and others comparing lights. In addition, I will reference these SC52 vs 3V output/runtime graphs as illustrative examples since they explain my position perfectly.

So back on topic, and I will refrain from commenting on the lumen scale issues any further.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I am curious to know what Selfbuilt thinks of the pocket clip with regard to the ridges.
I don't have much comment, except it may be a bit more cumbersome to slide it on to things than the SC51 (i.e., those ridges do restrict the smooth flow of material). I typical carry my EDC in a holster on my belt, and found the clip tricky to insert over the material in this case.

I'm going to add my unsolicited two cents to the lumens debate here. As long as everyone's beamshapes are different, I really think all a lumens number does is get you in the ballpark. My 200 throwy lumens bear no resembelance to your 200 floody lumens which differ in appearance with your 200 lumens in a bigger/smaller reflector... Beamshape, (proper tool for the job) sufficient output for the task at hand, and efficiency (runtime) are what do it for me. Thank you for trying to keep things comparable for us, but there are a lot of variables, absolute lumen numbers are just one of many. :)
Absolutely, it is a good point - beamshapes are a major factor in how you experience the light. This why I do all those standardized white-wall beamshots, to allow you to compare differing profiles. :) And as an aside, they are also a confound for lumen testing, as even a perfect sphere can never fully integrate all beamshapes consistently.

I know his relative data is good and consistent, and the despite claims of sample variability, I have found my relatively measurements to be very close to his, except that I chose to use a different scale. Adjusted for scale, I have previously come up with nearly the same SC52 measurements down to overspec'd L modes, and even the odd drop off on Li-ions for the L1 mode..
Good to know - thanks for sharing. The problem with only having one sample is that its hard to know how representational it may be. Interesting that you independently had the same observations for the low levels on yours.

I'm really hoping now though that they hurry up with the SC62, and I hope that they also start using the Nichia 219 HCRI LED in versions of the 18650 and AA lights. I guess I better find your paypal 'donate' button.
Yes, that would be interesting. And thanks for the donation plug, always appreciated. :wave:

demoteamone

Newly Enlightened
I still have hard time to understand how powerful wise it's this light, considering the high tech and the small battery apply it in to it.
I appreciate the review.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
It is important to note, that many individuals may see two different beam patterns(throw and flood) and wrongly conclude that the thrower represents more total lumens than the flood beam. Example:
i am still looking for SC52 owners who also own post 2011 Fenix models with comparable brightness because my reference scale is not selfbuilt or Zebralight but whatever Fenix claims. the other day i borrowed a brand new Fenix LD20 R5 from a friend and with 2x Eneloop AA the claimed 180 Fenix lumens blew away all of my 1xAA lights by 4sevens, Thrunite, Eagletac, Jetbeam .. by a huge margin. "180" is a comparatively low number nowadays and mev reported 199 lumens in his LD20 R4 review but the margin by which the Fenix wins over D25A, Quark X w/ 1xEneloop AA, a.o. is incredible. simply put, at this point i cannot imagine that the SC52 is brighter than the 2x Eneloop AA Fenix LD20 until several users do report it.

I believe this comment caused Selbuilt to compare the LD20 R4(two AA light) with the single AA SC52. The end result was the LD20 R4 at 205 lumens and the SC52 at 290 lumens. Perhaps it is the illusion a bright hotspot provides that allows some users to not account for the total lighting area of a more floody beam.

In the end, the SC52 put out almost 50% more lumens, yet the individual who requested the match up just did not see this as a possibility at all.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
I personally asked Selfbuilt to include onin the 2xAA graphs (which he did), and also the CR123 graphs (which he did not), since this light attempts to compete with the top of the class in those batteries categories.... ummm, on paper at least.
I certainly was not aware that a 1xAA light was in the same comparison category as a 2xAA light.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, it is rather ironic to see a modern light perform so well on the rather archaic alkaline cell. I would certainly never want to store one in there, given their propensity for leaking. :rolleyes:

Actually might not be the hardest mess to clean with the new sealed battery tube :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I think this light needs and extension tube. Make it a 2 AA Zebralight !!!!
That would be interesting ... although it may require a circuit re-design from the current SC52. Given that the SC52 currently reads a ~3.2V primary 14505 cell as nearly depleted 14500 Li-ion and automatically steps down, I expect it would also read the ~2.8V of 2xNiMH the same way. So an extension tube may be out, but no reason for them not to design a separate 2xAA ...

I certainly was not aware that a 1xAA light was in the same comparison category as a 2xAA light.
Well, generally it isn't - but it was close enough that I agreed to the request and added the 2xAA comparisons (with extra table, graphs, beamshots) into the review.

What the comparisons show is that while the SC52 may approach the max output of some 2xAA lights, it cetainly can't handle it for long on a single standard cell (as expected). It's really at the medium levels where the incredible efficiency of the SC52 allows it to perform closer in runtime to some of the 2xAA lights at comparable levels. You are still better off with a 2xAA light for sustained Hi-level output, of course.

Swede74

Enlightened
I think this light needs and extension tube. Make it a 2 AA Zebralight !!!!

That would be interesting ... although it may require a circuit re-design from the current SC52. Given that the SC52 currently reads a ~3.2V primary 14505 cell as nearly depleted 14500 Li-ion and automatically steps down, I expect it would also read the ~2.8V of 2xNiMH the same way. So an extension tube may be out, but no reason for them not to design a separate 2xAA ...

I just tried this today, with a little help from the extension tube from an Ultrafire C3, some aluminium foil, brazenness and good luck. I too expected the circuit would interpret the two GP ReCyko NiMH gen 2 cells I used as a Li-Ion cell close to its cut-off voltage, but surprisingly, it stayed in high mode (turbo rather, it looked like ~500 lumen) for several seconds. I would probably have run out of luck if I had attempted to operate this precarious MacGyverism for too long, so I don't know if would have stayed in high for a full minute, or stepped down early.

Some time ago I posted in another thread a rendition of what a 2*AA Zebralight might look like:D (post#24)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CR123-light)&p=4102662&highlight=#post4102662

phips

Newly Enlightened
The Non-Li-ion graphs look simply amazing.
Even when I am not looking to buy a particular flashlight, I love it when manufacturers set a higher bar for its competitors.
I wonder what the SC600 MK II will offer.

chadvone

Enlightened
I just tried this today, with a little help from the extension tube from an Ultrafire C3, some aluminium foil, brazenness and good luck. I too expected the circuit would interpret the two GP ReCyko NiMH gen 2 cells I used as a Li-Ion cell close to its cut-off voltage, but surprisingly, it stayed in high mode (turbo rather, it looked like ~500 lumen) for several seconds. I would probably have run out of luck if I had attempted to operate this precarious MacGyverism for too long, so I don't know if would have stayed in high for a full minute, or stepped down early.

Some time ago I posted in another thread a rendition of what a 2*AA Zebralight might look like:D (post#24)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?345627-***NEW***-Zebralight-SC32-%28single-CR123-light%29&p=4102662&highlight=#post4102662

I just violated the end of my SC52 with the battery tube from my Maratac AA. Selfbuilt was right as it did kick off. It would go through all the modes but when I let off the button it went out. MY SC51 on the other hand worked just fine.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a wee bit disappointed that it won't reach its high modes with a 14505, but I can see why it's an inevitable trade-off with low-battery protection for Li-ions, and on the whole I guess it's the right trade to make.

Still, on the medium and low modes, the 14505 would have to be the run-time champ, right? With 2400 mah at 3.0 volts, they contain double the watt-hours of an Eneloop.

Swede74

Enlightened
I just violated the end of my SC52 with the battery tube from my Maratac AA. Selfbuilt was right as it did kick off. It would go through all the modes but when I let off the button it went out. MY SC51 on the other hand worked just fine.

You are right, I just tried a second time, and it went out almost immediately. My apologies, I didn't want to deceive anyone and I certainly didn't want to compel anyone to violate their lights. I didn't screw the Ultrafire tube onto the Zebralight, I just held their ends together.

I am waiting for my NiMH cells to charge. Once they have finished I'm going to try again - it did run continuously for a few seconds on freshly charged batteries - but I probably got a bit carried away when I called 2-3 seconds 'several'. I was secretly hoping someone (maybe even Zebralight) would manufacture an extension tube, and was likely suffering from a bout of optimism bias. :sick:

Edit: I wasn't able to repeat what I did earlier, which at the time looked to me as though the light stayed in high mode. It does stay on when I release the button though, but it jumps down from 500 lm almost instantly.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to do this with 2x 1/2 AAA cells in my LF2XT and you get less than a few minutes before it thinks that the battery is low but I think the cut off for the LF2XT is lower than 3.2V. What works though are 3x 1/3 AAA cells all charged to around 1.4V OC off the charger except there's a huge 90mAh capacity. I have some 1/3 AA cells though that I may try in this if the warm version ever comes out.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I expected. Interesting that it worked on the SC51 ... that light was never intended to work with 14500 (although mine at least seems to handle them), so there's no low-voltage cut-out to be concerned with.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

What the comparisons show is that while the SC52 may approach the max output of some 2xAA lights, it cetainly can't handle it for long on a single standard cell (as expected).

I beg to differ..... I think Zebralight put the SC52 smack into the 2xAA and 1xCR123, 3V class by spec'ing the SC52 at 280 lumens - which is at the very top of the 3V class BTW. Please see my post #28 where I've superimposed all the [non Li-ion] lumen ratings for each graph line, as well as the SC52/L91 graph line onto one of Selfbuilt's CR123 graphs (hope I've fairly represented all of it).

I hoped it was obvious, but apparently it is not - the intention of the 3V graphs was only to compare initial outputs, and maybe a few minutes into the runtime to account for the step-down features, for a lumen scale comparison. It's just an illustration using Selfbuilt's relative data, of how ZL's definition of "280" lumens seems so different from most other manufacturers' definitions of 180-280 lumens.

Perhaps its just me, but I still think SC52 appears overstated vs, ...well... just about the entire field. Course, maybe all the other manufacturers are just too conservative.

...SC51 was the most efficient AA light on the market. So it looks strange when somebody tries to downplay its successor and potentially the new king of efficiency. Now we know that SC52 is the most efficient AA light on the market whatever the lumens are thanks to selfbuilt.

I just wanted to get back to this post since I think you really meant to say ".... that Selfbuilt has tested" as opposed to "....on the market." We really don't know that since Selfbuilt does not test every light and, unfortunately, has not yet tested what I would consider to be the SC52's closest competitors, the Quark AAX and the D25A clicky XML. For some indicators of their potential, again referring to my/Selfbuilt's charts on my post #28, you can see that both the Quark AA2X and the D25C clicky XML appear to be the class leaders in their respective 3V categories.