Zebralight SC52w-L2 comparison to SC52

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Hey guys, quick question. Im lost again.

Now, what is the difference between the previous SC52w and the new SC52w?
When checking the ZL website just now, it seems they both give 500 burst, 280 high. Both say XML2.

But, in the pic above, the light clearly says on the body SC52wL2. Mine says SC52w. But, same number of fins, I know the manual said 500/280 with 14500, and mine looks identical to the one above except without the L2 on the body, but pretty sure mine is XML2 also.
I was just at the ZL site and maybe confused myself a bit. The SC52w current production AND discounted versions say XML2.
I remember when I ordered mine, November of 2013, and everyone was getting green/purple tinted ones, but my dealer picked me out a good one, and I mean i won the lottery for sure, but now I am confused just which one I have. When did the newer one get released for sale?

thanks
dave

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when I ordered mine, November of 2013, and everyone was getting green/purple tinted ones, but my dealer picked me out a good one, and I mean i won the lottery for sure, but now I am confused just which one I have. When did the newer one get released for sale?

You definitely have the older version. The new version didn't come out until this year.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, what is the difference between the previous SC52w and the new SC52w?
... When did the newer one get released for sale?

thanks
dave
Hi dave,
The SC52w L2 was released 2/2014 & has the same emitter as your SC52w so the same output, etc. The only difference is the strobe modes.

The SC52w has a 4Hz strobe which can be programmed as the sub-level in the H2 slot.

With the SC52w L2, strobe has its own slot, accessed by triple clicking the light. Also, once in strobe mode, you can choose between a 4Hz and a 19Hz strobe.

hope this helps,
treek

Unless you really care about strobe modes, there really is no reason to upgrade at this time in my opinion.

Last edited:

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Great. Thanks guys. Glad I got that sorted out. Im not particularly crazy about the strobe on a light this size anyways.
dave

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
Does the sc52 L2 still have the strobe mode out in the open in the interface or is it partially hidden like it was in the original sc52?

Gary007

Newly Enlightened
Does the sc52 L2 still have the strobe mode out in the open in the interface or is it partially hidden like it was in the original sc52?

• Basic Operation
    • One short-click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
    • Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
    • Three short-click turns on the light to the beacon-strobe mode.
    • Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • Basic Operation
    • One short-click turns on the light to High or turns off the light.
    • Two short-click turns on the light to Medium.
    • Three short-click turns on the light to the beacon-strobe mode.
    • Press and hold (for over 0.6 seconds) turns on the light to Low and then Medium and High. Release at the desired level.

The one good thing about the L2 interface is that the strobe mode can't be selected as a submode of high. You only have H2a and H2b, both constant output modes. With the old interface, you could also select H2-blinky.

The triple-click for strobe isn't too bad. It's fairly hard to activate by accident. The only problem is if you click to turn on, then double-click to change submode. Don't do double-click too soon, or whoever is in the same room as you will be yelling at you to shut the stupid strobe off.

funkflex

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. Total newb here. Just recently picked up a new s52 w-l2. I have never owned a hicri/warm tint light before so I can only comment on the comparison to the cool whites I have used as a mechanic for many years. Simply put, it is AMAZING. I will NEVER buy another cool white light again. I don't know how I ever trouble shot electrical problems underneath of equipment before. Going between this and a old 6P led is night and day.
Bought directly from zebras site, no issues. Bought the zebra branded Sanyo at the same time, so I need a charger. I have found elsewhere that the Pila is the way to go. Is that still the general consensus?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One charger that's worth looking into is the Xtar MC1. It's quite cheap, but it is a quality charger. It only charges at 500mA, which is DEFINITELY slow for larger cells. But 500mA is perfect for a 14500. And you can always take it with you or keep it with you in your glovebox in case you need to charge on the run.

As far as batteries, don't be afraid to use unprotected Sanyo UR14500 cells. They're MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cheaper than the Zebralight branded cells, but use the exact same cell. They fit better. And since the SC52 itself has overdischarge protection, you really don't need it on the cell as long as you use a good charger and store your cells properly in a case (which you should do even with protected cells).

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
I got the SC52W L2 a couple weeks ago and could not be happier. It's a great EDC light and I like the tint. The prefect balance between not to floody but still has decent throw for lighting my whole backyard.

Since this is a ZebraLight thread I thought I would ask.

What good Li-Ion cell protected will work?
I just received KeepPower 14500 Sanyo 840mAh cells and one won't even allow me to close he tail cap all the way to work.
The other is so tight I wouldn't trust it once it starts heating up or in the summer when it could expand a little. The spring is %100 compressed and still has a little more gap on the tail cap so it's not completely screwed on.

So I guess I need to return them and look for other options.
What protected Li-Ion cells do you run in your SC52W L2 or SC52 L2?

Thank you,
Scott

Thank you,
Scott

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I had an SC52, I used Zebralight's own brand - they worked fine for me. Illumination Supply carries them. That said, they are based on the same Sanyo cells as the Keeppower ones you already have, so I'm not sure if they will fit any better.

Pause

Newly Enlightened
I have the same light as you and I love it too , I use Nitecore 14500 batteries or Sanyo eneloops if I want longer run times with less powerful turbo

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestin, I bought the light from illumination so I already have an account with them.

When I had an SC52, I used Zebralight's own brand - they worked fine for me. Illumination Supply carries them. That said, they are based on the same Sanyo cells as the Keeppower ones you already have, so I'm not sure if they will fit any better.

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
Good to to know the Nitecores fit, thanks.

I just got done testing these keeppowers, looks like I may have recevied fakes. They average 600mAh and I've never seen the voltage drop so bad on a 1A load as I have with the ones I received.
Its a sad day when my 6 trustfire Flames beat these KeepPower 14500 by 150 to 250 and keep a higher voltage under load. I know a lot of people look down on the ****fire brands! but I spent a lot of time to find a true authentic dealer for my trustfire 14500. I know they say 900mAh but I avergae 700 to 750 which I expected and the protection circuit works great. My guess is the keeppower I got are fakes, back to Amazon they go.

Ive ve been in touch with AW about authorized sellers in the US and length of his cells. Seems like it should fit and found a seller close by so shipping will be cheap. I might try the black AW cells and zebralights own brand or Nitecore with the Sanyo cell. Maybe I'll order all three, test them and send back the one that losses in my tests.

I have the same light as you and I love it too , I use Nitecore 14500 batteries or Sanyo eneloops if I want longer run times with less powerful turbo

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
I have eneloops that I picked up from Costco as a charger, 10 AA and 4 AAA door $23 US.
They are impressive batteries on how it maintains constant voltage level even under a 1A draw load almost until the very end.
I decided it was time to replace my 10yr old Royavac IC3 2000mAh 15 fast charge batteries, but believe it not they still also work good and put out 1600mAh to 1900mah for some.
I also ordered 2 AW cells hoping they will fit better in the SC52W L2. Thanks for everyone's feed back.

Thank you,
Scott

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
...As far as batteries, don't be afraid to use unprotected Sanyo UR14500 cells. They're MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cheaper than the Zebralight branded cells, but use the exact same cell. They fit better...

Will a flat top 14500 battery function in the SC52w-L2?

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I accidentally inserted a battery backwards into my SC52w-L2, and poof!, it no longer works. I have several flashlights that, like the SC52w, lack reverse polarity protection, and I knew it was only a matter of time before I damaged one of them. Too bad it was the ZL, and not one of my cheap lights.

I don't think I will get it repaired. I will wait for the SC53w to appear. Hopefully, it will have reverse polarity protection.