ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

burntoshine

Enlightened
DSCN7407.JPG

that's very sweet! although i'd prefer it without the spare batt. saddlebag; i'd rather carry my spare in my waterproof matchcase. i really like how it hugs the light, making it not any bigger than it needs to be. my maxpedition holster is great, but it could stand to be smaller. if you don't mind my asking, how much was it?

i'm still waiting for my sc600w to ship from ZL. is anyone else still waiting for theirs??

(sheesh! i'm glad i ordered another from illumination gear; fo' realz!)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's very sweet! although i'd prefer it without the spare batt. saddlebag; i'd rather carry my spare in my waterproof matchcase. i really like how it hugs the light, making it not any bigger than it needs to be. my maxpedition holster is great, but it could stand to be smaller. if you don't mind my asking, how much was it?

There are a lot of options for this holster (with and without spare battery carrier). If you Google "Thor's Hammer Custom Leather" you can see his prices and options. Very cool stuff.

pae77

Enlightened
The SC600W I got from Illumination Gear seems very impressive so far.

Based on what I've been reading, I didn't expect my almost 2 year old Trustfire 2400 mah cells (with hundreds of charge/discharge cycles on them) to work properly in the SC600w. But I figured I'd give them a try before shelling out a lot more for the higher end cells. However, the Trustfire "flames" been performing excellently in the SC600w. No problems whatsoever powering any of the modes, including turbo. Although I haven't measured, runtime seems excellent also.

If you anyone is thinking of trying these, don't make the mistake of buying them on Ebay because even the lowly Trustfires are counterfeit cr*p on Ebay as I found out the hard way. (The counterfeit ones I received from Ebay had plain silver lettering and did not contain the specified capacity.) The real ones have holographic silver lettering and do actually contain the specified 2400 mah of capacity. All the ones I've gotten from DX so far have been authentic and great performers for only about $10 a pair shipped.

While I'm sure the higher end cells offer longer runtimes, it's nice to know one can get very good 2400 mah performance in these lights from the "flame" Trustfires, if desired.

Last edited:

SunFire900

Newly Enlightened
Got my sc600w from IG three days ago and used my TF flame 2400 and TF blue 2500 cells (about 3 yrs old now) and although they power the light on turbo, they struggle to keep that brightness for even a minute before dropping down to medium level. The TF's work fine in my other lights, but can't handle the higher amp draw of the sc600w on turbo.

But wait!

I ordered two Redilast 3100's and got them yesterday. Charged them up to 4.19v and wow! The light ran on turbo for 20 m. before I switched it off. Got just medium warm while holding in my hand. Just guessing, I'd say about 115-120 deg's F max. I didn't want to run it any longer to see if it would step down thermally.

I am still not sure if the sc600w has a 5 min timer or thermal step-down circuit, but this light does not step down after 5 m. I don't care, really. This little light is plenty bright on High.

I would recommend saving your quarters and get a couple of really good (AW-Redilast-Callies Kustom) 18650's to power this light. The 3100 Redilast fit perfectly in this baby.

As expected, the sc600 is floody....but oh so bright! Very useful IMO.

This is my first "warm" led light and I like the color a lot. I don't hate cool white, but most of my lights are pure white and don't lean towards blue in any way. The best way to judge for yourself what the advantage is for warm over cool is to take one of each lights outside at night (of course) after it has rained and everything is wet. You will see the difference easily. The warm light wins hands down. Even at less lumen output. Try it. You'll see what I mean.

Anyway, I am a happy camper with my new toy. I'm still struggling a little with the UI, but I'll get it down soon.
icon12.gif

mrlysle

Enlightened

i'm still waiting for my sc600w to ship from ZL. is anyone else still waiting for theirs??

(sheesh! i'm glad i ordered another from illumination gear; fo' realz!)

burntoshine, sorry I took so long in responding. Just saw your post. I can tell you exactly what I have in my SC600 holster. $70.90 to my door. I feel it was worth every penny though. Very good quality leather, and you know how long good leather stuff lasts. Virtually forever! Dan guarantees his stuff too. You wouldn't have to get any saddlebags on yours. Would be cheaper that way too. I just like having the light and spare cell in one unit. Hope you get yourself one!

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
burntoshine, sorry I took so long in responding. Just saw your post. I can tell you exactly what I have in my SC600 holster. $70.90 to my door. I feel it was worth every penny though. Very good quality leather, and you know how long good leather stuff lasts. Virtually forever! Dan guarantees his stuff too. You wouldn't have to get any saddlebags on yours. Would be cheaper that way too. I just like having the light and spare cell in one unit. Hope you get yourself one!

You're protecting and enhancing your investment. I applaud those who choose to go that route.

uplite

Enlightened
So what do you do when you gotta grab your light and gun at the same time?
Guessing from the picture:
The little pistol gets tangled in your shirt, and you shoot yourself in the balls.
You pass out from the pain.
As you fall down, the light switch hits a rock and turns on, at the same time as the lens shatters.
The emitter overheats, and catches your shirt on fire.
When the police arrive, all that is left is a charred corpse.

Yeah, it sounds like the beginning of an episode of "Bones". But seriously... ;)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The little pistol gets tangled in your shirt, and you shoot yourself in the balls.
As you fall down, the light switch hits a rock and turns on, at the same time as the lens shatters.

Yeah, it sounds like the beginning of an episode of "Bones". But seriously... ;)

That's nice uplite, thanks.

burntoshine

Enlightened

You're protecting and enhancing your investment. I applaud those who choose to go that route.

yeah, i want to get one. i think i'll wait until after the holidays.

hey, quick question about the pila ibc charger: if i was to get some AW RCR123s, what kind of space would i need? the 123 spacer?

(i asked the question in the proper thread, but received no response)

one thing that i found i really like about 18650 batteries is that you can charge them often and it's not bad for them; as far as i know - now i feel like i should get the RCR123s for my bike lights; instead of continuously going through and buying primaries.

easilyled

Flashaholic

I can't say that I found this either funny or tasteful.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey, quick question about the pila ibc charger: if i was to get some AW RCR123s, what kind of space would i need? the 123 spacer?

Since the Pila IBC charger comes with a small spacer, there's a smaller spacer you can use in addition to the provided one. I got mine from the AW seller directly, but Lighthound also has them (and a bit less expensive than the full-sized CR123 spacer).

15mm Aluminum Charging Spacer

I'm assuming the one you are looking at would also work, but I can't say from personal experience. I know the small aluminum one works when used in conjunction with the screw-in one that's part of the Pila IBC charger.

The plan's not to try and use RCR123As in the SC600 though, is it? (Sorry, just had to ask in case that needs to be discussed.)

DWood

Newly Enlightened
So what do you do when you gotta grab your light and gun at the same time?

The ZL is not a light I carry when I might need a light to use with my CCW pistol. At work (can't carry guns at job), the ZL is in a kytex gear belt holster at 8 o'clock. When not at work, a Nova Tac 120T in the same holster in the same location while the pistol is at 4 o'clock. No pocket carry for my main carry lights.

"EDC" now breaks down into a utility light at work and a tactical light when not at work, so I guess I can't say EDC anymore. I need a new term.

I carry every day, just not the same light.

Love the SC600w :)

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
PSM- J-frame Smiths= :twothumbs Good pic to give size reference to those who may only be familiar with one or the other. SC600 looks like it was born for that holster!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i want to get one. i think i'll wait until after the holidays.

one thing that i found i really like about 18650 batteries is that you can charge them often and it's not bad for them; as far as i know - now i feel like i should get the RCR123s for my bike lights; instead of continuously going through and buying primaries.
I think the RCR123s are a great decision, I love guilt free lumens. I think using 2 spacers (factory screw in spacer and 15mm spacer) increases the resistance IIRC. I use the 2 spacer system which is fine but my cells come off at ~4.14 volts (my 18650s come off at ~4.17v). I actually prefer this because I feel it will be better for cell longevity and I don't think the difference in runtime is significant. I think that spacer that you have linked to would be fine for charging RCR123s, you would just have to remove the factory spacer. EDIT: Here is a thread, I think those spacers will work fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.